• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6MDman-SDB-Test.jpg
#1 7 years ago

G'afternoon,

I picked up a new to me Six Million Dollar Man, non working. After replacing fuses the machine boots and coins up but none of the solenoids are working.

My DMM reads 41vdc on TP4 and on the flippers. From what I've read it should be 43vdc. I'm also only getting 6 flashes so that seems to be the problem. Any pointers of where to look? I'm new to working on pinball machines so any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

#2 7 years ago

The solenoid circuitry is disabled (not the power, the control circuitry) until the cpu boots so start with fixing your boot problem. Have a look at the following:

http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/ballyss/rep/index2.htm#flash

#3 7 years ago

Check under playfield fuse and holder.

#4 7 years ago

Would the 43v check fail at 41v? That's what I'm getting on the F4 test point. It seems like there must be some range that's acceptable.

I tried jumping the MPU as described in the link when you're testing the board on your bench but that still didn't get the seventh flash.

Thanks

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from pinkid:

Check under playfield fuse and holder.

I've replaced too look lhe fuse down there and the holder looks fine, I'll try cleaning it.

Are you able to coin up if the boot does not finish?

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from fnord:

G'afternoon,
I picked up a new to me Six Million Dollar Man, non working. After replacing fuses the machine boots and coins up but none of the solenoids are working.

If the machine boots and coins up, you are getting the 7th flash on the MPU. The machine would not completely boot up without the 7th flash. If the flippers work and the knocker fires, then your problem is most likely the 1 amp slo-blow fuse under the playfield.

#7 7 years ago

Cool, maybe I was counting wrong, I was only counting the quick flashes. I'm not hearing the knocker, haven't verified it's there, and the flippers don't work. It will coin up and add players but won't start the game.

At some point between last night and today it stopped starting the game.

#8 7 years ago

So I feel like an idiot. The game completely starts just none of the solenoids are working.

I'm going to take a closer look at F4.

#9 7 years ago

Problem is not with F4, at least not as far as your non-working solenoids goes. A couple of volts low won't prevent them from working. As others have said, start with the 1A slo blow fuse under the playfield. Test for voltage on both ends of the fuse. Even if the fuse is good, the holder could be bad.

Worst case is the fuse could be compromised or the fuse holder could be loose or there could be a poor connection in the wiring and you could still read voltage on both ends of the fuse and on the coils, but it couldn't carry the current required to fire solenoids.

#10 7 years ago

Put a jumper wire across the fuse holder and see what happens. I have replaced the holder on most of my classic Bally machines. The factory used some pretty crappy ones. The clips break and still "look"ok........

#11 7 years ago

Thanks all, I'll play around some more with it tonight.

#12 7 years ago

Finally got back to looking at this.

Initially I wasn't getting any power at all at the fuse. I noticed there was wire on the right flipper that had become unsoldered (bad soldering job). After reconnecting that I am now getting 42v before and after the fuse and on the other flipper.

Still nothing is firing in test mode, startup (drops not resetting) or in game.

I check the voltages on the Solenoid driver board and came up with to deviations from the material here: http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern#Solenoid_Driver.2FRegulator_Test_Point_Values

My TP2 reads around 220VDC and TP3 is at 1VDC

I also may have broken the poor solder job done between the replacement NiCad battery and the MPU when I was reseating connectors (bad soldering is starting to worry me). Either way if that wasn't broken before it is now. I haven't read anything about a bad battery causing issues so I'm going to assume that's not a root cause of my board problems.

#13 7 years ago

Progress!

I jumped TP1 to TP3 started it up and the drop targets reset. I was able to start a game with it releasing the ball.
The main playfield solenoids fire fine.

The only issue now seems to be that the flippers are not working at all.

Some progress feels good though.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from fnord:

I jumped TP1 to TP3 started it up and the drop targets reset.

That would indicate a poor connection at Pin13 and/or Pin25 on connector J3 of the Solenoid Driver board.

Quoted from fnord:

My TP2 reads around 220VDC

There's a little pot marked RT1 (upper left area of the solenoid driver board) to adjust the High Voltage for the displays. Slowly turn it to bring down TP2 to spec voltage.

In terms of flippers, go to the Solenoid Test mode (press the little red button inside the coin door 3 times). This will cycle through and activate a solenoid every second. The number on the display corresponds to specific solenoids being activated as per the list below.
When the display reaches 14, you should hear the Flipper Enable relay on the Solenoid Driver board click On then Off.
Report back if it's clicking or not.

6MDman-SDB-Test.jpg6MDman-SDB-Test.jpg

#15 7 years ago

I'm getting a clicking at test 14, what does that implicate?

#16 7 years ago

You probably have a bad connector with loose terminals or cracked solder joints on the Solenoid Driver Board (SDB) or the Rectifier Board that needs to be repinned and/or resoldered.

Start a game:

• Press and hold a flipper button. Wiggle the J1 connector, J2 connector and Flipper enable relay on the SDB.
  • Then wiggle the J2 connector on the Rectifier board - again while still pressing a flipper button.
  • Do the same while holding the other flipper button.

If a flipper activates at any time you've found a connector with a bad connection you'll need to address.

If you want to drill further in and take measurements:
Since you're getting about 43VDC at the Flipper coils and the Flipper enable relay is switching on:

The Orange wire on both cabinet Flipper button switches connects to ground on the Rectifier board at pin 9 of J2. It's a single point of failure for both flippers so might be the culprit.

Both flipper coils have power on the outer terminal with the Brown wire. It should always be 43 volts.
The other outer flipper coil terminal: Orange on Right flipper coil, Green on left flipper coil gets switched to ground (0 volts) via the flipper buttons and flipper enable relay to put 43V across the flipper coil so it activates.

So: Right flipper coil Orange wire goes to pin 9 of J1 on the SDB.
The Left flipper coil Green wire goes to pin 8 of J1 on the SDB.
The flipper enable relay then routes these signals back out to the cabinet flipper button switches:
SDB Pin 1 on J2 (Red wire) goes to the Right flipper button switch.
SDB Pin 2 on J2 (Blue wire) goes to the Left flipper button switch.
These signals should measure about 43V when the flipper buttons are not pressed, and about 0V when the flipper buttons are pressed.
Happy hunting!

#17 7 years ago

Thanks a lot for that detailed write up.

#18 7 years ago

That was it. Just bad connections. Looks like I really should have listened to the advice online and cleaned those all first.

Thanks everyone for your help I'll be making a donation to the site.

#19 7 years ago

Cool.
Can you try something for me?

I found an undocumented DIP switch setting for Six Million Dollar Man that does some sort of display test. I'm not sure if it's known but someone may accidentally come across it if they've changed MPU boards or something and may think their machine is faulty.

If you put DSW 30 and DSW 31 "On" on the MPU board and then power the machine up, after the MPU test it should show "000000" in all displays and just sit there doing nothing else. Does this happen?

#20 7 years ago

Quench: I'll test it out tonight.

Donation made.

#21 7 years ago

Setting 30 and 31 worked out just as you said. Went through MPU tests then zeroes on the display and then nothing else

#22 7 years ago

Great, thanks for confirming that

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from fnord:

That was it. Just bad connections. Looks like I really should have listened to the advice online and cleaned those all first.
Thanks everyone for your help I'll be making a donation to the site.

You need to resolder/reflow all those pins on the solenoid driver board. I suggest at the power supply board too. Cleaning is a band aid at this point.

#24 7 years ago

Yeah that's the conclusion I've come to. The audio board connection had to be wiggled some to fix the sound at one point.

I'm leaning towards replacing most of the connectors and pins. There's enough corrosion that just removing the connectors to reseat can be incredibly tough if not impossible on some.

And while I'm doing that I might as well do the caps and the rest of Vid's bulletproofing recommendations.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Huntington Beach, CA
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Ana, CA
2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-six-million-dollar-man-41vdc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.