4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by HowardR
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Sheriff_inside2 (resized).jpg
    Sheriff_inside1 (resized).jpg
    coin2 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    #1 4 years ago

Hi,
    I recently got a Sheriff. I was told it ran until it was stored in the basement years ago. The game is in very good condition, playfield is good, the inside is dry and clean, I think the previous owner took good care of it. I pluged it in and I got some mixed results:

-Most lamps are on, in the back and on the playfield once a game starts
    -You can coin up and start a game. Score is already on 0 for every player and you don't hear any noise from a reset.
    -Lamps on the playfield seem to be illuminated correctly for a fresh game
    -The flippers, bumpers and slingshots are not working. Switches on the playfield are not registering anything.
    -However, the ball release is working! The switch detects the ball and releases it. Once the ball is "lost" the drop target bank is resetting (both reset coils are firing)

So, where do I start with this? I don't have the shematics and no experiene on an EM. Since it "kind of" works, I'm hesitant to put it into mothball.

Thank you in advance.

#2 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frogger1108:

The flippers, bumpers and slingshots are not working

Inspect and diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires
    http://www.planetimming.com/Pinball/troubleshooting/EM%20Troubleshooting.pdf
    http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#features

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #3 4 years ago

Thanks for the reply. I'm still looking for the circuit, I'm a little lost where to start looking.

However, I noticed a few other things with the machine:
    If you manually set a score, the score resets upon starting the game for all 4 players.
    The game is stuck on ball 1. The ball release is triggered as described but the ball counter doesn't go up.
    And I found a loose wire on the coin mechanism. The machine seems to be set on freeplay, so I don't really know if it's important or not (see picture). If I conect it to the other 2 wires hanging there it energizes the coil and locks it in place.

coin2 (resized).jpgcoin2 (resized).jpgSheriff_inside1 (resized).jpgSheriff_inside1 (resized).jpgSheriff_inside2 (resized).jpgSheriff_inside2 (resized).jpg
    #4 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frogger1108:

I don't have the shematics and

Get the HEmatics instead. (Couldn't resist)

Did you read the links I posted?

#5 4 years ago

Yes, I read them and the first example is really good at explaining the process. My problem right now is finding the physical position in the machine where I could test the switches.
    Judging from your picture, power is coming from the transformer to the open switch (5B?) and can go to the playfield using 5B, the O or the H switch? I assume this is the line for the coils and not the playfield illumination? And since I don't have the schematics I can't see what coils are connected to this line. This would be useful since the ball release and the drop target coils are working, so I assume power to the playfield is ok.

Kind regards

#6 4 years ago

SB is the Reset Control relay which looks like it's labelled in your second picture.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-sheriff-problems?hl=frogger1108 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.