• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

15935164226799043443447154449131 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Hi,

Got this playing correct after some good help from this forum. After a few games smoke started rising from the top and luckely my oldest noticed because I was occupied getting the skillshot down.

After unplugging and venting out smoke I could see the 100points coil had melted.
Im a bit disturbed that this could happen without the fuse blowing, and have a few questions

* what type of coil should go there? Cannot make out the type number on the melted one.

* how could this happen? The switched connected all seem to change state. Is it just the coil being old?

* is there no failsafe when this happens? Blown fuse?

I have remove the screws holding the coil in place after the fact. I also have a multimeter but have never used it or know how to really.

All help is appriciated!

15935164226799043443447154449131 (resized).jpg15935164226799043443447154449131 (resized).jpg
#2 3 years ago
Quoted from Riksvei22:

what type of coil should go there? Cannot make out the type number on the melted one

The schematic specifies a G-30-1500 coil

Quoted from Riksvei22:

is there no failsafe when this happens? Blown fuse?

The fuse might blow after the coil melts but before that the coil was drawing its normal current so the fuse wouldn't blow.

Quoted from Riksvei22:

how could this happen?

The most likely causes are (1) a stuck playfield switch or (2) 100 Point score unit end-of-stroke switch out of adjustment

1 week later
#3 3 years ago

Thank you. I got my replacement coil today and found the fault on the playfield.

#4 3 years ago

I have noticed another potential issue on my game. The "outhole pole" solenoid is activated when the post is down. Should it be this way and not the other way around so its activated when the post is up?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-sea-ray-71-100point-coil-melted and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.