detail (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
Capture (resized).PNG
Bally (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).PNG
IMG_20191007_103611403 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Help!

Ball will not eject from both "collect bonus" holes on playfield, bonus value continues to run.

Ball will not eject from out hole.

Coil on coin door start button resets constantly.

Thanks! Ron

IMG_20191007_103611403 (resized).jpgIMG_20191007_103611403 (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago
Quoted from e3thomas:

Ball will not eject from both "collect bonus" holes on playfield, bonus value continues to run.

Likely this score motor sw.

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG
#3 4 years ago

Does the accumulated bonus count out?

#4 4 years ago

Where is the score motor switch?

Should I clean the contacts?

And the bonus value registers repeatedly when ball is in the hole, ball will not kick out.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from e3thomas:

Where is the score motor switch?

Should I clean the contacts?

This is the score motor. Numbering starts at the left, and lettering from the bottom up. Easiest thing to do is the loosen the screws a bit and clean the contacts with some 91# rubbing alcohol and a swab, then lightly sand with 600# paper. Be sure no threads from the swab get left behind.

Bally (resized).jpgBally (resized).jpg
#6 4 years ago

With respect to my good friend, currieddog , I don't recommend getting into the motor unless you're more experienced, or certain it's absolutely necessary.

If you'd like to try a phone call, send me your cellphone number in a private message and I'll make a first reply with a text message.

FWIW, read what another Sea Ray owner had to say here
https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/howardr/feedback

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

I don't recommend getting into the motor unless you're more experienced, or certain it's absolutely necessary.

I don't think the score motor is something to get nervous about as long as care is taken, but I do know that HowardR has a very good rep for problem solving via phone and it would be a good idea to take him up on the offer.

#8 4 years ago

I did, waiting for a reply
I little background on me, I have done fairly extensive work on pins, replacing and cleaning contacts, coils, drop targets, playfield parts, light sockets, etc.
However I am poor on diagnosis, Pinside folks have been very helpful, give me direction with a pic or 2. We have fixed everything so far. I have 3 EMs, love 'em!

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from e3thomas:

I little background on me, I have done fairly extensive work on pins, replacing and cleaning contacts, coils, drop targets, playfield parts, light sockets, etc.

Take a look at the score motor contact then. It's 6A. and check 6B while you're at it.

#10 4 years ago

We found that the problem was that the step down arm on the Bonus unit had broken, which allowed the step down solenoid plunger to fall out.

This kept the Bonus unit zero switch in currieddog 's above post #2 from ever closing.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-sea-ray-1971#post-5243155

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#11 4 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

which allowed the step down solenoid plunger to fall out.

Well, that'll do it!!

#12 4 years ago

Marco had one, amazing what you can find out there!

detail (resized).jpgdetail (resized).jpg
1 week later
#13 4 years ago

Hi guys, more problems with Sea Ray, when the ball hits anywhere on the playfield the up-post pops up, will not go down.
When you roll over the down post button, the post tries to go down but pops right back up.
When the ball exits the post goes down as it should.
Also, 2 bonus lights are lit in stead of one below the up-post mushroom.
I noticed the up-post relay coil is very burnt as will not energize when I move it manually.

Sea Ray (resized).jpgSea Ray (resized).jpg
#14 4 years ago

I would look at the switch on your yellow "Up Post" mushroom bumper. If it's stuck on, it's going to constantly raise your post. The post might be going down after losing a ball because of the ball index relay opening. Then as soon as you score any points the ball index switch closes. Then a stuck switch on that mushroom bumper would cause your post to always be up until you lose the ball again. Just speculating without looking at a schematic

#15 4 years ago

I checked the up-post mushroom switch, it does not trigger the up-post like it should, when the ball hits a cushion or a target the post pops up (as it shouldn't)

#16 4 years ago

What are the 3 post control relays doing when this happens?
- Post relay
- Up Post relay
- Up Post M-B relay

#17 4 years ago

Just noticed that there is an "Up Post" rollover in that left squiggly lane. Since it wasn't the yellow mushroom bumper, a stuck switch in that rollover lane could have the same effect.

Does that yellow mushroom bumper score points or does it just trigger the up post?

If it's not supposed to score points that might be why it's not triggering the up post while everything else does. It takes a score (10, 100, or 1000) to trigger the ball index. I'm not sure if the ball index needs to be activated in order for the up/down post to work though.

#18 4 years ago

Check this circuit for the post

#19 4 years ago

Breaking news!

I was doing a visual inspection and noticed a screw laying on the up-post relay switches, removed it, now the up-post problem is solved!

Next problem, 2 bonus lights are lit occasionally when only one should be lit.

Bonus lights flicker also.

These are under the yellow mushroom bumper.

Also extra ball light does not light and trigger in the left lane.

Here are pics of the playfield and relays involved.

IMG_5991 (resized).JPGIMG_5991 (resized).JPGIMG_5992 (resized).JPGIMG_5992 (resized).JPGIMG_5993 (resized).JPGIMG_5993 (resized).JPGIMG_5994 (resized).JPGIMG_5994 (resized).JPG
#20 4 years ago
Quoted from e3thomas:

2 bonus lights are lit occasionally when only one should be lit.

Check the 00-90 disk. And check the bulb and socket for the Extra Ball lite.

#21 4 years ago

Good call curriedog!
I looked at the 0-90 disk, the wiper fingers were touching 2 contacts, I aligned them and tightened the center screw which was loose.
As far as the extra ball light, I think I looked at it when it was not supposed to be on, seems to be OK now.
What do I owe you?
The Pinside folks have been invaluable to me as I have been unable to find a good tech in my neck of the woods.
Thanks so much!

Ron

IMG_5999 (resized).JPGIMG_5999 (resized).JPG
#22 4 years ago
Quoted from e3thomas:

What do I owe you?

Two free plays on it, next time I'm in CA!!

#23 4 years ago

You got it!

#24 4 years ago

I will donate to Pinside in your name!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-sea-ray-1971 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.