Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Paul_T
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I've had this pinball machine a couple of weeks. Starting a couple days ago, the 100 (or optionally the 100/1,000 or 1,000) bell ringer solenoid started sticking. It is not activated, if I tap the plunger it will drop back down. I noticed the 100 relay was stuck on, the paper label was black and it was really hot. I turned it off, let it cool down, and cleaned all the switches on the relay. When I started it back up, I fired it manually a dozen times and it didn't stay on, however after firing one or two times, the bell solenoid tends stick on.

1. Can I clean it or does it need to be replaced? I don't see a spring so I'm assuming returns by gravity.

I'm new to pinball machines and still reading through the guides and https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-schematic-fully-described-from-beginning-to-end-bally-bon-voyage recommended by rolf martin.
I have a digital multimeter and can solder.

#2 6 years ago

there should be a 100 or 1000 pt. relay in the bottom of the cabinet see if it activates and manually open it if it sticks. could be a dirty EOS switch on a score reel.

does it do this on all players?

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from Paul_T:

1. Can I clean it or does it need to be replaced? I don't see a spring so I'm assuming returns by gravity.

Yes, you can clean it. Take out the rod, clean with alcohol, sand with 600 grit re-alcohol. DO not put on any lube.
You're assumption is correct no spring returns with gravity. When going through my pin for the first time all three of my chimes were stuck from someone lubing them.

#4 6 years ago

oh I read this thread rather late last night & thought the bell was energized & getting hot

do what member HD_Fatboy said

#5 6 years ago

Thanks chas10e and @hd_fatboy,
I cleaned the solenoid plunger with alcohol and sanded with 700 grit paper (that's what I had). As you suspected it had been oiled and was gummy. My only question, I didn't notice the washers placement.There were 2 star washers and 2 flat one larger than the other. I put them back in this order on the stud, star, larger flat, bell, small flat, star, nut. It rings now but still seems like it doesn't have time to recover (plunger dropping) from two very quick rings. It may have always done that, but now I notice it.
Thanks again for the quick responses!
Paul

#6 6 years ago

hmmmmmmm this doesn't show the bell blown-up but that way it lists the items may be a clue

http://www.planetarypinball.com/reference/partsmanuals/BLY_Parts_1976/#/126/zoomed

I'll take a look at the bell I have to see the order

EDIT: on the stud: large washer ; bell ; small washer ; star washer , hex nut

#7 6 years ago

Thanks! chas10e I'll switch mine.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-sea-ray-1001000-bell-solenoid-sticking and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.