View topic image gallery

bally score switches (resized).jpg
IMG_9335 (resized).JPG
IMG_9334 (resized).JPG
IMG_9333 (resized).JPG
Drum Unit Zero Switch (resized).JPG
Score Reel Wiring Edit (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

I found a broken solder joint on the top switch on the score reel switch stack (stack of 3 switches). I'm not having a scoring problem that I know of. I looked at my schematic and I can't seem to find this wire set / switch. The top blade of the switch set has a green-black wire and the connecting blade has a yellow. I took a picture from the internet for reference. Each score reel has this green-black and yellow switch combo, but I can't identify them in the schematic.

Anyone able to help point me the correct direction.

Score Reel Wiring Edit (resized).jpgScore Reel Wiring Edit (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from Skidave:

I found a broken solder joint on the top switch on the score reel switch stack (stack of 3 switches). I'm not having a scoring problem that I know of. I looked at my schematic and I can't seem to find this wire set / switch. The top blade of the switch set has a green-black wire and the connecting blade has a yellow. I took a picture from the internet for reference. Each score reel has this green-black and yellow switch combo, but I can't identify them in the schematic.

Are they maybe the 16x parallel 'reels not at 0' switches? Near top left of the schematic usually? What game?

#3 6 years ago

Air Aces. This is a 4 player game.

I saw some photos of other same vintage Bally's multi-player games with the same wiring configuration.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from Skidave:

That's a zero position switch.

It should be open at 0 and closed the rest of the time. You'll find it in the circuit for each reel. Look for the coil for that particular reel, it will say something like Player 1 100-900 unit, and you'll find that switch in that circuit, usually right above a switch that says reset relay on it. That switch will only come into play during reset when the reset relay is activated. Is the game resetting properly?

#5 6 years ago

I found it in the schematic. The score reset relay made something click in my head.

Game resets properly. I am going to resolder the wire regardless. I just wanted so see it for myself in the schematic.

Thanks for the replies.

Drum Unit Zero Switch (resized).JPGDrum Unit Zero Switch (resized).JPG

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from Skidave:

Game resets properly. I am going to resolder the wire regardless. I just wanted so see it for myself in the schematic.

That switch missing would mean that, if every other reel was already at zero but that one wasn't, the game would stop trying to reset

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Skidave:

I found it in the schematic. The score reset relay made something click in my head.
Thanks for the replies.

The individual zero position switches are in the circuit for each individual drum unit. That's where you'll find the wire color etc for each one.

2 years later
#8 3 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

That switch missing would mean that, if every other reel was already at zero but that one wasn't, the game would stop trying to reset

I have a similar question for the group. I'm working on a Captain Fantastic and found this situation on the player one 1,000 and 10,000 reels where the same switch is bent back so that it never closes. I think the digits were all resetting correctly when I tested prior to starting the restoration.
Here's how the switches look:
When reel is at 1 -> 8 position:
IMG_9333 (resized).JPGIMG_9333 (resized).JPG

When reel is at 9 position:
IMG_9334 (resized).JPGIMG_9334 (resized).JPG

when reel is at 0 position:
IMG_9335 (resized).JPGIMG_9335 (resized).JPG

I'm thinking I should adjust them so they make contact. Question is should I if everything appears to be working correctly?
What's the impact if I don't adjust it?

#9 3 years ago

You're probably going to run into the same situation I described above. Try setting the game up so that all other reels besides those two are at zero, and those two reels are at 1, then start a game, see if those reels reset.

Personally I'd adjust them back, then see if that causes issues, then fix the issues the proper way, whatever they may be

bally score switches (resized).jpgbally score switches (resized).jpg
#10 3 years ago

Thanks for the quick reply, zacaj! I've adjusted the switches to spec. I bet it will be fine. Parts are coming for the playfield restoration. Once installed I'll give it a test!
Thanks

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 109.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-score-reel-switch-stack-schematic-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.