• Latest reply 4 years ago by Skidave
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

9AA2D293-0CC1-44C0-BBA2-74D1C0D1DDFF (resized).jpeg
#1 4 years ago

Bally Night Rider Em. Cleaning score motor and noticed switch stack #3 has what looks like a drop target shoe, instead of one like the rest of them.
I’m thinking someone replaced a broken one for this. Would its different shape have any effect on the timing or operation of the game?

9AA2D293-0CC1-44C0-BBA2-74D1C0D1DDFF (resized).jpeg9AA2D293-0CC1-44C0-BBA2-74D1C0D1DDFF (resized).jpeg
#2 4 years ago

I wouldn't think so. Have you had this operational?

#3 4 years ago

I think the score motor cam profiles rotate from right to left across your photo. If that's the case a peak on the cam could for example activate the modified cam follower a bit before it should and for a longer period. It looks like the stack would deactivate at about the right time. It's hard to say if the difference would be enough to affect the game. Have you noticed anything suspicious? It would be a bear to debug though if there were a problem and you didn't know the cam follower had been changed.

Everything looks nice and clean though. Well done.

/Mark

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from JustEverett:

I wouldn't think so. Have you had this operational?

Quoted from MarkG:

I think the score motor cam profiles rotate from right to left across your photo. If that's the case a peak on the cam could for example activate the modified cam follower a bit before it should and for a longer period. It looks like the stack would deactivate at about the right time. It's hard to say if the difference would be enough to affect the game. Have you noticed anything suspicious? It would be a bear to debug though if there were a problem and you didn't know the cam follower had been changed.
Everything looks nice and clean though. Well done.
/Mark

It's operational but has had a lot of glitches like the top hole kicker being weak and not kicking ball out hard enough. Also, drop targets not activating score motor. Decided to clean and check/adjust every switch in the game and go from there.

#5 4 years ago

My guess is for longer duration for that switch stack. I'd have to see what switches are on that stack and where they correlate on the schematic. I have a Bally EM relay / motor board out for service now. I'll look and see if there is one like that on my game (not Night Rider).

#6 4 years ago

It looks like the changed follower drives the #3 switch stack according to the drawing at https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sky-kings-power-free-play-and-top-hole-issue#post-4457680. Looking at the schematic the #3 score motor switches control things like the coin chute relays, 2 coins/3 plays relay, credit unit reset, ball count step up, double bonus scoring and drop target reset solenoids.

Quoted from seeburg220:

Decided to clean and check/adjust every switch in the game and go from there.

Unless you're familiar with that process I'd recommend doing a few at a time then playing the game to see if any new issues have appeared. Lots of folks have made things worse with this approach. Doing it a little at a time would make it easier to track down new problems.

#7 4 years ago

All of my blades are the same.

When I service a score motor and switch stack, I print the schematic and highlight each score motor point on the schematic. Then I go page by page looking at the schematic and associated contact. It helps define normally open or normally closed and which point may be just out of adjustment.

Flashlight and small plastic tool is necessary.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-score-motor-switch-stacks?hl=skidave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.