• Latest reply 4 years ago by xsvtoys
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

OutholeKicker (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

On the schematic, SM 7A seems to be required to be closed in order for the outhole kicker, the left/right hole eject, and/or the left alley kicker to function, which doesn't quite make sense to me. SM 7A is only closed momentarily (at the 135 degree point) when the score motor runs a rotation at startup or 2nd player. I know that this can't be the case, but I'm also at a loss to explain how any of these solenoids could ever be activated unless I close 7A.

I'll freely admit that I must be missing something simple here, and that I haven't traced the lines on the machines wiring yet, but this has me perplexed.

My expertise lies more in digital circuits, but I usually find EM schematics relatively easy to read, but again, what the heck am I missing????

OutholeKicker (resized).jpgOutholeKicker (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago

When the ball drains it activates the Outhole Relay. This closes the NO switch on that relay. Another switch starts the score motor to start bonus count etc..
The NO switch at SCM7A pulses the line through the closed switch on the Outhole relay to fire the outhole coil.

The switch on the SCM is closed every time it rotates but only has an effect when the other switch is closed.

#3 4 years ago

Well, now I feel like a dummy - I just found on the schematic something I missed - the score motor is ALSO controlled by the left hole, right hole, and left alley rollover relays (and of course the ball drain) - my issue is at 1C on the score motor, it's NC, but out of adjustment, so the score motor doesn't run when it should because the relays aren't getting power.

Cheddar, thanks for the spark that turned my attention to what was controlling the score motor, it's all perfectly clear now!

#4 4 years ago

It’s almost the same exact circuit as the person with the Space Time problem has in their machine, except on that machine it’s switch 7B not 7A. If none of those hole ejects or kickers will work, then it is likely that this switch is not closing properly when the score motor turns and needs checking and possibly adjustment (which is the problem they are having).

The other part of the circuit that makes this work is the lock-in switch for each relay, that is, left hole re., right hole re. ,etc. if you check each of those relays you will find that each will have a NO switch that will close when the relay is first energized, and keeps the relay held in so it can do all of its jobs (the lock-in switch), and this switch is connected to a NC score motor switch that is AFTER position 7. When that NC score motor switch opens it disconnects the lock-in switch, so after the ball is kicked out then the relay will de-energize and thus that circuit will be open again. I believe that this actually would be the 10B switch that you can see in the snippet you posted, and just above that I believe is the right hole re. lock-in switch. The other 3 relays should be connected with a lock-in switch into that same circuit line through SCM 10B.

So when the score motor gets to peg 7 it causes the action, then shortly after it gets to peg 10 and opens the circuit back up. It’s all in the timing. Score motors are cool things.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
1,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasanton, CA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-schematic-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.