• Latest reply 4 months ago by Quench
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
#1 1 year ago

And now for the almost undocumented and likely very rarely used feature. The games featuring the Squawk & Talk sound board have registers 20 and 21 enabled in the menu. Both registers range from 0 to 15. And these can be made to adjust the sound and speech volume of the sound board, respectively. Instead of the main volume control in the coin door and the individual volume knobs on the board itself. If and when the sound board is jumpered for this. By moving jumper DD to CC and N to M.

The feature is only hinted in the Bally game manuals. And the only other mention of this that I have been able to find is a document on the sound board made a while ago by a Clive Jones. This is referenced in the good old Clay repair guides.

I wonder if anybody has ever configured the volume control this way. Ever ever. It seems like a hazzel to work on compared to just adjusting sound on the knobs. No sound played while in the menu to fine tune after, right. Speculation on this design. During the design of the Squawk & Talk board, the computer controlled volume levels were introduced as a feature for games to change this per game rules / special effects. But this I have likewise never heard of.

I would love to hear reports if this computer controlled volume control was ever prefered and put to use.

BTW. Settings are shifted, so 0 is lowest, 14 is highest and 15 is off. My previous analysis and what I send to Slam Tilt Podcast was not correct.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#2 1 year ago

The computer controlled volume feature was never implemented in production games. Changing the jumpers would have no effect as it would require a companion software change to utilize.
The feature was used with the prototype EBD games and maybe on the 2 prototype Flash Gordons.

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from soren:

BTW. Setting the value 0 is the same as 15. Full on.

If I remember right this setting peculiarity is only true for speech or sounds (not both). I noticed it about two months ago when I was looking into it.

#4 1 year ago

It works as-is with factory software for Eight Ball Deluxe. Assume the other S&T games as well.

You may enable/disable sound and speech volume CPU controlled individually. So also both at the same time. But jumpering the board for this will also omit the main volume knob in the coin door.

#5 1 year ago

Interesting.
I had a S&T board, jumpered correctly, everything worked 100% other than, it was excessively loud. Even if the two trim pots were trimmed almost to zero, the volume was quite loud.

I never did figure that one out.

Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
Http://chrishiblerpinball.com/contact
http://www.PinWiki.com/ - The new place for pinball repair info

#6 1 year ago

Even if it works, it does indeed seem like a pain if you'd have to go to those adjustments in the menu. I barely have patience enough already getting thru it now having to keep pushing that button 'cause it doesn't advance if you hold it down. XD

1 year later
#7 4 months ago

What is the correct replacement value for the coin door volume knob?

#8 4 months ago
Quoted from pindel:

What is the correct replacement value for the coin door volume knob?

100 ohms, 5 watt wirewound pot. Jameco has them cheap from memory.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Forest City, PA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 179.00
Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-sampt-sound-board-cpu-volume-control and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.