Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by R8f1k
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Bally Vector S&T board, recapped, works great, but then after about 10 mins no more sound. Turn the game off and right back on, sound works! What the heck?

#3 4 years ago

Did you re-pin the connectors too?

#4 4 years ago

Sounds like a thermal problem. Check your solder joints.

#6 4 years ago

No repin, BUT prior to a rebuild the machine would play sound fine and then suddenly it would emit a constant series of tones. No speech, no music, just noise.....odd.

#7 4 years ago

Re-soldered just about anything that looked questionable. Still having the same problem. I have noticed now that the green LED comes on and stays on when the sound goes out.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from R8f1k:

Re-soldered just about anything that looked questionable. Still having the same problem. I have noticed now that the green LED comes on and stays on when the sound goes out.

The CPU is crashing if the LED comes on. Check that the 5v is not dropping out when hot.

Check for warm chips when it stops working. Its rare but I have seen a few 6802 CPU chips overheat and stop working. Would about burn your finger touching the center.

Could be IC socket problems. Gently flex on the board and see if that makes it crash. Slight twist on chips in a socket will a lot of times show a flaky socket by making the board crash.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

The CPU is crashing if the LED comes on. Check that the 5v is not dropping out when hot.
Check for warm chips when it stops working. Its rare but I have seen a few 6802 CPU chips overheat and stop working. Would about burn your finger touching the center.
Could be IC socket problems. Gently flex on the board and see if that makes it crash. Slight twist on chips in a socket will a lot of times show a flaky socket by making the board crash.

This, all of this.

#11 4 years ago

I reseated the chip, I have a 6808, doesn't get real hot, but gets warm. Legs on the chip look good and the socket looks ok. Flexing offers no change.

Tp1 GND
Tp2 4.963v
Tp3 14.5-14.6v
Tp4 -4.79v

#12 4 years ago

I was working on the flippers, machine on, playfield up, repeatedly hitting the flipper button to cycle the flippers, then the sound started screeching. Odd pulses of screech and scream. Turn off the game, turn it right back on, sound is normal......What the heck? Do I order a new 6808?

#13 4 years ago

Replaced the 6808, doesn't warm up at all, stays on as it should. That seems to have fixed the problem!

#14 4 years ago

Problem is back. Left game on all day, my daughter went to play it, sound worked on the first ball, stopped on the second. Game has been on maybe 8 hours. What the hell?

#15 4 years ago

Problem with the socket for the 6808?

#16 4 years ago

Hrmm. Best guess is the power supply is dropping out or going to be a flaky IC socket.

see if you can identify what causes a lockup to try and narrow the focus. Get sound playing, like in test mode. Gently flex on the pcb and gently twist on socketed chips.

leave it in sound test for a couple hours and see if crashes while idling.

hammer the flippers and see if it crashes from current spike or noise flippers (make sure diodes on flipper coils).

#17 4 years ago

i'll check on that tomorrow

#18 4 years ago

Now it crashes right away. As soon as you turn the machine on, nothing. WTF?

#19 4 years ago

Ok, I can turn on the machine, it will work, but as soon as I push the test button, it dies. The LED stays off, but no sound.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 44.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

2,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Myers, FL

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-sampt-re-capped-works-great-for-about-10-mins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.