(Topic ID: 273806)

Bally's Captain Fantastic project...Please Help!!

By WubWub

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capture (resized).PNG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wubwub.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

Hello all. I have a Bally's Capt. Fantastic that has been in climate controlled storage (ie basement) for 25+ years. The last time it was 100% functional I was a kid and remember plugging it in and hearing a semi-loud pop and then zero power to backboard or playfield. Fast forward to 2020 and I'm ready to fix my mistake. The first thing I did was replace all 5 fuses and noticed the 10A fuse (The top one on the block located to the left of the coin door) was blown. I figured it was a simple fix, it wasn't. I replaced the fuse and plugged the power cord in and the backboard lights came on..that's better than when I started. Fast forward 10 minutes and I am replacing my third 10A fuse at the same location so I stop wasting fuses when it pops. I know the fuse blocks are usually an issue but these are in very good condition w/ clips intact. What could be causing the short? and what possible options are a result of that pop I heard many years ago. It does have a 3 prong outlet but i will be replacing the outlet as soon as it gets here. Have tools, will work...Please Help!!!!

-Wub

Edit: I will add that I did reset all 4 score reels to all 0 w/ no reset occuring. I also set a player 1 score to 10000 and still nothing. I made sure credits were manually added and the PL 1, PL 2, PL 3, PL 4 lights come on as credits are added.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Find out what the blown fuse controls. If it's for lights, look for a bad (shorted) bulb or shorted light socket. If it's for coils, look for a burnt/seized coil.

One side leads to a counter and the other leads to a connector. I just ordered the schematics to diagnose further.

#5 3 years ago

Thanks. I just ordered an under powered 8 amp breaker and will be making one shortly. What type of solder is generally used in these repairs?

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

Pretty sure the 10 amp slo blow in Capt Fantastic is for the solenoids. Mine was purchased knowing this fuse was blown. A totally melted drop target reset coil was the cause of my blown fuse. Check all of your coils for any obvious damage and if you don't see any, check them with your meter to see if they are shorted.

Schematics just came today, waiting on the breaker still. I'll definitely start there. Thanks for the reply!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Woodhaven, MI
$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 15,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wubwub.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-s-captain-fantastic-projectplease-help?tu=wubwub and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.