New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 273806)

Bally's Captain Fantastic project...Please Help!!

By WubWub

3 months ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 89 days ago by RC_like_the_cola
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Capture (resized).PNG

#1 3 months ago

Hello all. I have a Bally's Capt. Fantastic that has been in climate controlled storage (ie basement) for 25+ years. The last time it was 100% functional I was a kid and remember plugging it in and hearing a semi-loud pop and then zero power to backboard or playfield. Fast forward to 2020 and I'm ready to fix my mistake. The first thing I did was replace all 5 fuses and noticed the 10A fuse (The top one on the block located to the left of the coin door) was blown. I figured it was a simple fix, it wasn't. I replaced the fuse and plugged the power cord in and the backboard lights came on..that's better than when I started. Fast forward 10 minutes and I am replacing my third 10A fuse at the same location so I stop wasting fuses when it pops. I know the fuse blocks are usually an issue but these are in very good condition w/ clips intact. What could be causing the short? and what possible options are a result of that pop I heard many years ago. It does have a 3 prong outlet but i will be replacing the outlet as soon as it gets here. Have tools, will work...Please Help!!!!

-Wub

Edit: I will add that I did reset all 4 score reels to all 0 w/ no reset occuring. I also set a player 1 score to 10000 and still nothing. I made sure credits were manually added and the PL 1, PL 2, PL 3, PL 4 lights come on as credits are added.

#2 3 months ago

Find out what the blown fuse controls. If it's for lights, look for a bad (shorted) bulb or shorted light socket. If it's for coils, look for a burnt/seized coil.

#4 3 months ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Find out what the blown fuse controls. If it's for lights, look for a bad (shorted) bulb or shorted light socket. If it's for coils, look for a burnt/seized coil.

One side leads to a counter and the other leads to a connector. I just ordered the schematics to diagnose further.

#5 3 months ago

Thanks. I just ordered an under powered 8 amp breaker and will be making one shortly. What type of solder is generally used in these repairs?

#6 3 months ago
Quoted from WubWub:

What type of solder is generally used in these repairs?

Whatever you have on hand. terryb has a soldering guide that’s extremely helpful: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/terrybs-soldering-guide-part-1#post-2726971

#7 3 months ago

Pretty sure the 10 amp slo blow in Capt Fantastic is for the solenoids. Mine was purchased knowing this fuse was blown. A totally melted drop target reset coil was the cause of my blown fuse. Check all of your coils for any obvious damage and if you don't see any, check them with your meter to see if they are shorted.

#8 89 days ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

Pretty sure the 10 amp slo blow in Capt Fantastic is for the solenoids. Mine was purchased knowing this fuse was blown. A totally melted drop target reset coil was the cause of my blown fuse. Check all of your coils for any obvious damage and if you don't see any, check them with your meter to see if they are shorted.

Schematics just came today, waiting on the breaker still. I'll definitely start there. Thanks for the reply!

#9 89 days ago

Note that the 10A fuse (NOT a slo-blo) leads into the main relays. You might want to try pulling Jones plugs to narrow it down.

Capture (resized).PNG
#10 89 days ago
Quoted from currieddog:

Note that the 10A fuse (NOT a slo-blo) leads into the main relays. You might want to try pulling Jones plugs to narrow it down.
[quoted image]

That was a mistake on my part. The one in the game that was blown when I got it was a slo blo, not the one I replaced with. Sorry about that.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
2,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Manalapan Township, NJ
$ 22.50
Various Other Swag
Shoot Again Pinball
$ 9.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
Little Shop Of Games
$ 79.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 47.95
Lighting - Interactive
MicksPinball
Boards
German-Pinball-Modular
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 5.00
Electronics
Docent Electronics
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 17.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 39.95
Playfield - Protection
Little Shop Of Games
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
$ 39.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Concealed Art
$ 799.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside