• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ScreenHunter_06 Jan. 12 11.48.jpg
Screen Shot 2015-01-13 at 2.39.53 am.png
#1 9 years ago

Is there a list somewhere of the ROMs that go in the Bally ' early years' SS mahines ?
I'm troubleshooting a 'Strikes & Spares' and 'Eight Ball'.
The manual does not list the part #. I cannot read the writing on the damaged Rom.
I'm mainly interested in U2 and U6.
John

#3 9 years ago

I have converted al 14 of my Bally SS to 2732s. It give a lot more flexibility when problems occur.
Hobbyroms can fix you up, and Steph is a great guy.

#4 9 years ago

Thank you.....Thank you.....
Question...... the Rom I damaged taking out of the socket is a E-723-20.
I believe I took that out of my 'Eight Ball'. The list says it should be
a E-723-17.
Was that an equivent Rom for that board ?
My Eight Ball isn't running yet, so I don't know how that Rom affected game play.
John

#5 9 years ago

Eight Ball used 2716's.

In addition to what was already stated, you can burn 2516's or 2532's (if you can find them) without any trace mods to the MPU board/jumpers. One hurdle is that a lot of modern burners don't do the 2516's or 2532's.

If you use 2732's or 2716's in any Bally MPU, you will need to perform jumper/trace mods for all the -17+-35 games...

One other helpful hint is that most of the rom files that you download on ipdb.org's site have the correct jumper settings in a .txt or read me file within the ZIP that you download.

#6 9 years ago

8 ball used a -17 board any chip that is not a factory prom will require mod work.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from Astill:

8 ball used a -17 board any chip that is not a factory prom will require mod work.

Not true. 2532's or 2516's EPROMS will work with no mods at all in an Eight Ball -17 MPU. I didn't believe it myself, but I have successfully tried it 3 times now after removing and replacing the masked roms.

You can also get 2532<-->2732 socket adapters from Seigecraft Electronics. Those will work as well if you don't want to mod your MPU.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from JKnPA:

Thank you.....Thank you.....
Question...... the Rom I damaged taking out of the socket is a E-723-20.
I believe I took that out of my 'Eight Ball'. The list says it should be
a E-723-17.
Was that an equivent Rom for that board ?
My Eight Ball isn't running yet, so I don't know how that Rom affected game play.
John

in the blurry bit at the top of that page 12 link it says U2 and U6

I wonder if you are mistaken about the 3 in E-723-20 and its really E-720-20 from U6?

#9 9 years ago

a non blurry copy

Screen Shot 2015-01-13 at 2.39.53 am.pngScreen Shot 2015-01-13 at 2.39.53 am.png

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

You can also get 2532<-->2732 socket adapters from Seigecraft Electronics. Those will work as well if you don't want to mod your MPU.

Good call, although one will have to wait for him to get them back in stock (hopefully soon)...

http://www.siegecraft.us/presta/index.php?id_product=33&controller=product&id_lang=1

They have been very popular much to his surprise.

viperrwk

#11 9 years ago

I damaged U2........ it read E- 723-20 U2
U6...... both MPU have a E- 740-16............. that s/b OK.
* U2 @ Bally Eight Ball s/b E- 723-17 .......... via list. Yes ?
ScreenHunter_06 Jan. 12 11.48.jpgScreenHunter_06 Jan. 12 11.48.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 69.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Warren, OH
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-romslist and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.