8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by barakandl
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cooke.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

I'm working on a 1980 Bally Rolling Stones with no sound. There was a AS-2518-32 sound board in there that "works" but the sounds are obviously all wrong as this game is supposed to have a -51. So I acquired a non-working -51 board and have attempted to shotgun repair it. I hate that approach, but I'm not as familiar with this board as I am with all the other Bally/Stern boards, so I've had to do things a bit less technically than I would like.

Anyway, I have no sound aside from the normal speaker hum that changes along with the volume pot. When I got the board it wasn't even doing that so I installed a new TDA2002 and now it's giving me at least "something" but I still have no game sounds. All test points read spot on except for tp4 and tp6 which read 0vdc at all times, but they should read 2.5vdc and .35vdc when sound is playing and 0 when no sound is playing.

Here's what I've done so far:
- reflowed headers
- replaced all caps
- replaced the AY-3-8910 at U1
- replaced the PIA 6821 at U2
- replaced the 6808 processor at U3
- replaced the 6810 RAM at U10
- replaced the ROM with a new 2716 at U4
- replaced the volume pot
- replaced the TDA2002 at U9
- replaced the crystal
- replaced the reset switch
- Checked for continuity from the top of each pin on every socketed chips to the bottom of the board.
- Q1 tests good, but I have not replaced it
- I have not replaced the non-socketed chips, but I certainly can.

Looking for some guidance here. The speaker hum gets louder and quieter with the volume pot and the hum "changes" in the normal kind of way when the displays change between HSTD and the last game score. (If you're used to Bally's from this vintage, you'll know what I mean.)

All of the address and data lines of the processor seem to be showing no life (under .1 volts) when sound should be heard. Can someone walk me through how to make sure the processor is running?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Corey

#2 8 years ago

Also, there is a serious lack of troubleshooting info on these boards on-line. I wish there was something like this available for the -51:
http://www.pinball4you.ch/okaegi/rep_soundold.html

I've used that link to repair -32 boards several times, but nothing similar exists for the -51. I would write something up, but I'm not that smart.

#4 8 years ago

The -32 that was in there does produce sounds, so I'm assuming that the input lines are doing their job.

#6 8 years ago

It's running an Alltek. I will try another MPU tonight, but I'm guessing the issue isn't on the MPU. I haven't yet ruled out an issue between the MPU and the sound board, though. Going to do that tonight. If I had another game to test this sound board in, it would really help. I know A LOT of people with pinball machines locally, but none with a game that uses the AS-2518-51.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

$ 10.00
$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 69.00
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cooke.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-rolling-stones-as-2518-51-sound-board-issues?tu=cooke and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.