2019-03-30 15.39.33 (resized).jpg
2019-03-30 15.39.25 (resized).jpg
2019-03-30 15.39.06 (resized).jpg
2019-03-30 15.39.14 (resized).jpg
2019-03-30 15.36.34 (resized).jpg
2019-03-30 15.36.24 (resized).jpg
2019-03-30 15.37.00 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

So answered a FB Marketplace add for a $500 Rocket III. After some discussion, and telling him I wasn't interested, he asked if I would just take it. Almost said no, but thought just maybe it was a project worth trying, and at least parts might be helpful to someone. My restoration skills are fair to good on playfield touch up. Fair to poor with cabinet painting. And OK, with Pinside help at getting games to work properly. But really think this one is beyond my skill set.

The back glass looks mildly ok from the front, not so great from the back. The playfield looks basically toast. The cabinet, see for yourself the owner tried to repaint the left side and front. Did his best, but not a great job. The right side and back box are flaking paint like a bad case of dandruff. Three of the plastics are broken (the two missing are in a parts box he gave me). The coin door is fair to good, a scratched up and dented at the right coin return. And oh yea, it doesn't work electrically.

So looking for advice on whether to try saving it. And interest if anyone wants the parts. For example, looks like an unusual lockdown bar, that might have been worth something to someone, if not for the appx 1/4" hole some idiot drilled through it.

Thanks for any help.

2019-03-30 15.36.24 (resized).jpg2019-03-30 15.36.24 (resized).jpg2019-03-30 15.36.34 (resized).jpg2019-03-30 15.36.34 (resized).jpg2019-03-30 15.37.00 (resized).jpg2019-03-30 15.37.00 (resized).jpg2019-03-30 15.39.06 (resized).jpg2019-03-30 15.39.06 (resized).jpg2019-03-30 15.39.14 (resized).jpg2019-03-30 15.39.14 (resized).jpg2019-03-30 15.39.25 (resized).jpg2019-03-30 15.39.25 (resized).jpg2019-03-30 15.39.33 (resized).jpg2019-03-30 15.39.33 (resized).jpg2019-03-30 15.40.57 (resized).jpg2019-03-30 15.40.57 (resized).jpg2019-03-30 15.41.00 (resized).jpg2019-03-30 15.41.00 (resized).jpg2019-03-30 15.41.03 (resized).jpg2019-03-30 15.41.03 (resized).jpg2019-03-30 15.41.45 (resized).jpg2019-03-30 15.41.45 (resized).jpg
#2 5 years ago

Even though the production numbers don't reflect this, it's somewhat of a rare game. I'd try to save it.

Keep in mind that not every game has to look like a museum piece. Clean it, fix it, seal the backglass, shop it, and play it.

#3 5 years ago

Never part out!!!!
I vote restoration

#4 5 years ago

Ballypin Aren’t you looking for this title?

#5 5 years ago

I agree with ForceFlow and @mrm_4. If it's complete and not completely rusted out inside it'd be a great learning project for someone. If it's not your thing that's fine, but someone out there can get more out of it than a few bucks for parting it out. If you don't want to tackle it consider passing it on to someone willing to give it a try, or offering it to a high school tech class, 4H or boys and girls club, etc. It could be a great learning or teaching tool.

/Mark

#6 5 years ago

Yep, tough game to find. And fun. And almost EVERY unrestored cabinet on this game is a mess.

Restore it, or sell it to someone else to save it. Worth saving

#7 5 years ago

Why restore it, clean it, get it playing 100% and enjoy it.

#8 5 years ago

Yes, please restore and pass onto someone looking for the title. I’d buy it from you if you were on this side of the Mississippi.

#9 5 years ago

I just picked one up too. Pretty rare game. Try to save it if you can.

98092A56-1C81-45C2-AFEB-E02828337486 (resized).jpeg98092A56-1C81-45C2-AFEB-E02828337486 (resized).jpeg
#10 5 years ago

Bally EMs are hot right now. Hottest segment of the Market. You better not part that one out, I could have it playing great in no time, so could a dozen people here. I would love to have it.

#11 5 years ago

Thank you for all the input, and for the pm’s asking for parts if I do part it. I went to look at it as a possible flip game. It isn’t one I can keep in my limited 8 game max collection. The reason I asked is I thought it was somewhat rare. So is there anyone close enough to Sac, CA who would buy it for a nominal amount who would promise to restore or at least fix it and play it? Don’t want to let it go to someone who will part it, I can do that.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

I just picked one up too. Pretty rare game. Try to save it if you can.[quoted image]

Wish this one had been that nice looking. Good find. Might have bumped something else from my collection.

#13 5 years ago

Btw, while I flip games a bit to help pay for the hobby, as I couldn’t do it otherwise. But part of what makes it fun is when I can help save an old game. Saved a 1938 Chicago Coin Swing last year, and found a great home for it. Was a great feeling.

#14 5 years ago

Cheddar Can you find someone to save this game and get it working?

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

cheddar Can you find someone to save this game and get it working?

I’m trying through this thread. Want someone honest who will actually try to save it. The electrical in cab and back box actually looks ok. And seller said it was working at one point. It is just too big a project for me, especially since I have very limited space, and one project ahead of it.

#16 5 years ago

One question, whether it gets saved or parted. Was going to Triple Thick the back glass tomorrow. Any objections / comments?

#17 5 years ago

Mebbe you could come to GSPF in May. I'd prolly buy it if you brought it to the show. You don't live that far from Lodi!
Go ahead with the 3xthick.

mark

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from fireball2:

Mebbe you could come to GSPF in May. I'd prolly buy it if you brought it to the show. You don't live that far from Lodi!
Go ahead with the 3xthick.
mark

Not a bad idea. But already planning to take two or three working games. Plus someone there might just take it for parts, defeating the purpose. You coming part way this way before that? I get to the mid or South Bay regularly.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from DCRand:

One question, whether it gets saved or parted. Was going to Triple Thick the back glass tomorrow. Any objections / comments?

Definitely coat it. The top left looks like it’s about to start chipping off with those air bubbles.

You can actually take an 18 or 20 gauge needle, puncture it, draw the air out and then delicately put the art back against the glass then seal it.

#20 5 years ago

If against all odds it can’t or won’t be saved, I’ll take the coin door and the add a ball relay, and maybe a few other parts. Mine needs some love, and it has some hacks I’m working through.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Definitely coat it. The top left looks like it’s about to start chipping off with those air bubbles.
You can actually take an 18 or 20 gauge needle, puncture it, draw the air out and then delicately put the art back against the glass then seal it.

Unfortunately the bubbles areas have hardened, touched one lightly and it broke in three pieces. So planning to gently push the others flat, then spray to hold the pieces.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from DCRand:

Unfortunately the bubbles areas have hardened, touched one lightly and it broke in three pieces. So planning to gently push the others flat, then spray to hold the pieces.

I would fill the air gap with super glue first rather than try to press down on that fragile paint.

I use the loctite 15 second liquid glue.

#23 5 years ago

Rocket III owner here too reporting in from the UK, a lot's going for this machine I hope it can be saved and enjoyed, several paths this could follow.

I'm interested to see if it has the optional Added-Ball plug in relay (pic on ipdb). I see it takes multi coins per game too so guess it has/had an alternator unit too.

#24 5 years ago

I would buy it if I could get it to NC cheap .... Do you ever go to PHX?

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from jasonp:

I would buy it if I could get it to NC cheap .... Do you ever go to PHX?

I get to So Cal few times a year. But not to Phx. There is a pin transporter who makes regular runs to So Cal, think he might also go through AZ once in a while. If interested I could check with him.

#26 5 years ago

Been giving this some thought. From pm’s see I could make 2 to 3 hundred at least selling parts. So will offer this, will sell to any Pinsider who promises to either restore or just get it running as a players game, for $100 plus transport costs. And I will make another donation to Pinside. Please pm me if interested.

#27 5 years ago

Just had a local offer from a pinsider.

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from DCRand:

Been giving this some thought. From pm’s see I could make 2 to 3 hundred at least selling parts. So will offer this, will sell to any Pinsider who promises to either restore or just get it running as a players game, for $100 plus transport costs. And I will make another donation to Pinside. Please pm me if interested.

Quoted from DCRand:

Just had a local offer from a pinsider.

#29 5 years ago

I believe that I know of someone with a Rocket III playfield in Santa Maria, CA. Giving up the info to help the community!

Please PM me for the info as the person is not on Pinside.

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from jbovenzi:

I believe that I know of someone with a Rocket III playfield in Santa Maria, CA. Giving up the info to help the community!
Please PM me for the info as the person is not on Pinside.

I will pass this on the the Pinsider who is going to take and restore it. Thanks.

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from DCRand:

I will pass this on the the Pinsider who is going to take and restore it. Thanks.

Working it now to help preserve this game.

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from DCRand:

Saved a 1938 Chicago Coin Swing last year, and found a great home for it. Was a great feeling.

Was that home in Alameda CA with Mike?

The one thing I do not like about Rocket III is that there is no real skill shot
lots of wasted space with plastics on top third of PF.
Otherwise love the BG and bottom 2/3rds of PF

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Was that home in Alameda CA with Mike?
The one thing I do not like about Rocket III is that there is no real skill shot
lots of wasted space with plastics on top third of PF.
Otherwise love the BG and bottom 2/3rds of PF

No called him from the sellers garage, but he said he had a nice one. It was Eric, from Lodi. Really happy he is going to fix it up. I already soaked the legs in Evaporust, they were horribly rusted. And the leg and back box bolts which were equally rusty.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-rocket-iii-to-part-out-or-not-to-part-out and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.