4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by el-comico
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider el-comico.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

I was fortunate to have acquired 3 Rocket iii's...but one of these clearly being different...in time,I need to send in pics which confirm the differences and an explanation why Bally around 1965 to about 1968 had made a range of machines which had different factory variations.Mainly to accommodate those American states outlawing replay versions or for the European market particularly Italy.In simple terms(as simple as I can make it!!!!),it went like this-
"A"prefix after model number-usually stock-standard replay model...most common.
"B"prefix after model number-an allowance made set for add-a-ball...the motor board had an extra relay plug with extra wiring from the harness...a Jones plug was inserted which allowed the change...the backglass was still the same with the replay window in it(you would cover this as not required anymore)...these were for the American market in states that,at the time,outlawed replay games or simply had a preference to add-a-ball versions.Unlike Gottlieb who usually gave their add-a-ball games a different name title to their replay equivalent,Bally retained the same title name regardless if replay or add-a-ball in this era..1965-1968...prior,they would do likewise as Gottlieb... examples being Grand Tour(replay) and Happy Tour(add-a-ball)/Harvest(replay)and Hayride(add-a-ball)...after 1968 as well commencing with King Tut(replay) and King Rex(add-a-ball)...as clear as mud,I suppose!
"C"prefix after model number-this is the particularly uncommon one.It was for the European market,particularly Italy.It was strictly an add-a-ball.The wiring harness being different...no Jones plug and extra wiring at the motorboard.A total absence of two relays on the relay bank plus associated wiring,particularly for any replay stepper unit in the backbox because one did not exist in this version at all.In the backbox,the wiring on the harness included extra routing and wiring to accommodate a "step-up/step down" ball count unit(it labelled strictly in this model as "added balls unit"...the backglass had no replay window,nor any insertion to cover where it would be...it was silk-screened complete.There was no terms displayed,unlike earlier Ballys such as Happy Tour or Hayride as examples with "added balls"...the "1 to 9" wired to accommodate for add-a-ball(unlike the previous "A" and "B" which were set for replay).The "0" on this model completely unwired.
To summarise-
"A"-REPLAY VERSION
"B"-REPLAY VERSION but can be set to ADD-A-BALL(did they come out from the factory set as add-a-ball?Or was one supplied with the extra Jones plug attachment and converted it later?)
"C"-ADD-A-BALL strictly...and only for overseas market.
I had compared two Rocket iii's(both standard "A") to the third one I had(which turns out to be a "C" version)….I took into account if someone may have done any after-market changes...that definitely not the case here...all,including the "C",definitely factory through and through...I note that the third one had the backglass with no window at all which started my curiosity in all this.
Further investigating leads me to believe that Bally,from around 1965 starting with Trio,decided to do three different versions as explained above.This ended with Dixieland around 1968.My estimation is that around 6 games(all single players) fell in this category...Trio,Rocket iii,Dixieland,Surfers,Bazaar and Gold Rush.Absolutely no evidence to include Bullfight prior or Minizag afterwards...it seems clear that it started somewhere late 1965 and ceased early 1968.
Obviously,sending detailed pictures to compare the differences is the clearest way to understand...and seeing is believing(otherwise I would not write this at all!)...If anyone can correct me on any points(I may have missed something or got something confused)or add to it,let me know.
So,if you have one of these Ballys,check the model number and prefix where possible...or check the clues in the motorboard,backbox,backglass or harness(I also have a spare Jones plug for an add-a-ball..I believe that may have been from one of my other Ballys,though).
My understanding of later Ballys in the 1970's labelled "replay but can convert to add-a-ball" is that there was the Jones plug attachment...it was a "B' version but there was no longer a need to make any distinction by then...my guess is from the start of King Tut/King Rex in 1969(anyone got pics for those two to compare?).
I forgot to mention others like Williams and Chicago Coin...Williams seemed to have adopted the "Gottlieb way"(replay/add-a-ball..Hotline/Big Strike or Post Time/Paddock as examples)….unsure of Chicago Coin(Gunsmoke is a good example...same title name for a replay one and an add-a-ball one...but was it set up like the "Bally way" or something more in line like Gottlieb and Williams?).
Final word on all this...I'm going to bed!!!...I've confused myself just writing it and I'm getting a headache!...Should just send the pics and you'll work it out easily by that!!!!!

#3 4 years ago

Perfectly put,David….that was what I suspected occurred for the "B" models....basically,"A" and "B" models were much the same with the option of an add-a-ball kit and,most likely as you explained,set up when pre-ordered....these all had the replay stepper unit in the backbox and if the add-a-ball kit was installed,then it was basically rendered useless and never removed....the "C" model,though,is definitely different...it must be that because the overseas market in some countries were strictly add-a-ball,then Bally did a whole different wiring scheme and eliminated parts and units unnecessary for that(there's an obvious cost savings)...and created a different setup for add-a-ball through the harness directly to a totally different stepper unit in the backbox(added balls unit)….reality is that though both "B" and "C" are add-a-balls,they are very different in how they achieve that....being the "C" model had no option for replay meant items deliberately left out...two relay units deleted from the relay bank at the motorboard,no wiring at all in the harness to the "0" globe for the backbox,no replay stepper unit assembly in the backbox(this being a dead giveaway as it is quite large)and a backglass with no window(definitely not covered...fully silk-screened).Bally assigned three-digit model numbers to identify each game(whether test,sample or eventually released for distribution)...there was the specific design for each game from these...it seems that a further design within each may have occurred and an associated prefix(particularly in cases like "C" where the design has varied considerably)was attached...one problem does occur to me now being I could not use the harness or possibly the stepper unit from the "C" to the other "A" ones...all are Rocket iii's but the "C" in this case might as well be a totally different machine as it wouldn't interchange with the others in some aspects.I also have the Bally Gold Rush add-a-ball model but haven't ever gone to check out the insides of it properly...I played it before I bought it and it was add-a-ball...that's why I bought it recalling never seeing a Bally Gold Rush one doing that before.
I FORGOT THAT I ACTUALLY DID POST A FEW ISOLATED PICS A LONG WHILE BACK...check main images for Rocket iii...some are from a guy called "pin-joe" who has one that is an early production model(these had no special when the E in ROCKET was lit)...after his images,you'll see a couple of mine but it needs more pics to make the clear distinctions and confirm it 100%...however,there's a good pic of the three together(even one of two..an "A" and a "C")and you can clearly see the backglass difference.."pin-joe" also has a very good pic of the motorboard and you can count 13 relays on the bank...the "C" model has 11 and no gap between the missing ones...just straight 11 relays...the Jones for the add-a-ball would be normally to the left of the main motor(in a large empty area).."pin-joe"'s image of his motorboard clearly does not have this so all the more reason to send in more pics from what I have(definitely I have a machine or two that does have it)
For the record,Rocket iii is listed as model "800"...it has to be at least a few extra added to that not listed..."800B" and,particularly "800C"(the prefixes abolished with King Tut and King Rex which are assigned different model numbers from the very start)

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 8.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom
Led
$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom
Led

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider el-comico.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-rocket-iii-the-ultimate-explanation-for-abc-models?tu=el-comico and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.