Topic poll

“Which part(s) do you need for your On Beam or Bowl-O clutch?”

• Outer cam 1 vote
    9%
  • Spring 1 vote
    9%
  • Small cam on end 2 votes
    18%
  • Steel spring clutch (if original is not repairable - may only need spring) 1 vote
    9%
  • Whole enchilada 6 votes
    55%

(Multiple choice - 11 votes by 7 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Reset Cam C-706 w model (resized).jpg
No3DClutchAssy (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
DSC04734 (resized).JPG
DSC04735 (resized).JPG
DSC04739 (resized).JPG
SprungKingTutClutch (resized).png
OnBeamClutchOrientationPartsBook (resized).png
clutch4 (resized).jpg
clutch3 (resized).jpg
clutch2 (resized).jpg
clutch1 (resized).jpg
DSC02126 (resized).JPG
DSC02125 (resized).JPG
DSC02128 (resized).JPG
OnBeamResetMotorSwitches (resized).png
There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 2 years ago

I just want to apologize to anyone that wanted copies of my On Beam clutch parts. I'm unable to deal with any pinball related stuff right now. I'm not sending out any more 3D-printed parts, and I really don't want to share the files for them (there are still a few problems, and they are really not ready for distribution yet).
If I can get the clutch springs made correctly, I will post that info here.
To my close friends, all is basically OK, but I'm completely overwhelmed with all of the problems and projects that I have going on right now.
DCP

1 year later
#52 10 months ago
Quoted from DCP:

I just want to apologize to anyone that wanted copies of my On Beam clutch parts. I'm unable to deal with any pinball related stuff right now. I'm not sending out any more 3D-printed parts, and I really don't want to share the files for them (there are still a few problems, and they are really not ready for distribution yet).
If I can get the clutch springs made correctly, I will post that info here.
To my close friends, all is basically OK, but I'm completely overwhelmed with all of the problems and projects that I have going on right now.
DCP

Any more Clutches available? I realize that this string is 6 years old.

#53 10 months ago

Hi, Mark - my apologies for being unresponsive about this. I found that the key component of the clutch is the spring. If the spring is not the exact size, and in perfect condition, the clutch will never work properly. The springs are not available anywhere as far as I can tell. If someone could wind them properly, many of us could use them. The steel clutch parts will probably never wear out - the spring is the show-stopper.
I really don't know if I will ever be able to dedicate any time and energy to working on this again. My time is filled up with dealing with my decrepit buildings and my girlfriend's and my poor health. Pinball falls to the wayside when you are dealing with depression and physical problems.
My 3D-printed clutch parts will work if you have broken plastic clutch parts, but you need to have good springs (unlikely if the clutch has ever failed and overwound the spring). I also discovered that my new plastic parts don't allow enough endplay for the clutch to work without a bunch of hand fitting.
I could probably send you the CAD files I made for this assembly if you think you might want to try to move this project forward yourself.
I'm sorry I can't be more helpful right now.

#54 10 months ago

If the stl files are made available I would be happy to print some up for Mark to try. I don't want to tear one apart that's not broken. Maybe we could get multiple pinsiders with broken clutches to work together to tweak it. Turn it into an open source type of thing.

#55 10 months ago

My King Tut with a pristine playfield and backglass is bricked do to the faulty score motor mech. I'm fully on board to help however I can.

#56 10 months ago

Here's a Google Drive link to a zip of all my On Beam files (about 7MB). The STL files are in the folder called "Output Files".
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vB66mTIWJw_9ZqCLcFgcdhLGN_oQ7Gvx/view?usp=drive_link
If you download and install FreeCAD from https://www.freecad.org/, you can open and modify any of the .FCStd files, and view the exploded assemblies that I created. You can also create new STL files with your modifications, so you can 3D print your new versions. I highly recommend FreeCAD. It is very similar to Solid Works and other commercial CAD programs.

"I hereby donate my On Beam FreeCAD and STL files to any Pinsider who wants to help with the Bally Clutch Project!"

NOTE: Unless your plastic cams are broken and your clutch spring is in near-perfect condition, these parts will NOT fix your game! You also will need to adjust the endplay of the whole assembly. Mine fit too tightly and I ground down some of the other cams to create some endplay. The long-bodied cams are a common part found in all Bally bingos, so don't worry about grinding those down to fit. There are lots of them around.
It's more than likely you will still need to figure out how to wind new springs. The steel clutch inner and outer parts would be fairly easy for someone to make on a lathe. I don't really think you could make a clutch with a plastic body and a steel spring that would last very long.

1 week later
#57 10 months ago

I just want to make sure that MarkAnderson , edednedy , and Thrillhouse saw that I posted the CAD files for the On Beam clutch assembly (in the post right before this one).
It would be great if someone would take up this project where I left off. I may be able to answer some questions about it, but I'm not able to continue working on it right now.
We need someone who can make the springs! A functioning repro clutch mechanism will depend on a custom-made spring that has to match the original exactly. The clutch has to turn freely in one direction, and lock up solidly in the other. If the shaft turns the other direction, even a little bit, the timing is off and it won't work.
It's a finicky and difficult Bally mechanism that unfortunately has "bricked" a number of interesting old games.

#58 10 months ago
Quoted from Thrillhouse:

My King Tut with a pristine playfield and backglass is bricked do to the faulty score motor mech. I'm fully on board to help however I can.

I have this game and haven't ever plugged it in, yet. Bought non working and it has a few in front of it in the queue. Any way to visually tell if I have a broken motor mech without powering it up? This is the only game I have from this era with this mech and not familiar. I was bummed to read it was one of the ones that could be screwed, due to this.

#59 9 months ago

Thanks for sharing your files DCP & sorry to hear of the many things keeping you busy now. I would like to thank you again for sending the parts for my King Tut . I feel bad for never trying to swap them in, but as you said life gets in the way and the old ones in mine have been hanging on. They aren't perfect (the game has to cycle a few times before a game starts sometimes, annoyingly racking up extra games on the counter), but actually are holding up...even has been on location at The Game Preserve NASA (south side of Houston Texas, where I work some on the side) since spring break. While working on one of the newer games, a kid was playing the heck out of the often-overlooked King Tut & said he loved it. It is the most boring to play of my EMs, but that sure made my day, and I still love the art on it.

#60 9 months ago
Quoted from emspence:

I feel bad for never trying to swap them in

Send them to someone else on here that needs them!

2 weeks later
#61 9 months ago
Quoted from DCP:

I just want to make sure that MarkAnderson , edednedy , and Thrillhouse saw that I posted the CAD files for the On Beam clutch assembly (in the post right before this one).
It would be great if someone would take up this project where I left off. I may be able to answer some questions about it, but I'm not able to continue working on it right now.
We need someone who can make the springs! A functioning repro clutch mechanism will depend on a custom-made spring that has to match the original exactly. The clutch has to turn freely in one direction, and lock up solidly in the other. If the shaft turns the other direction, even a little bit, the timing is off and it won't work.
It's a finicky and difficult Bally mechanism that unfortunately has "bricked" a number of interesting old games.

I believe this is the spring according to the parts manual: https://flippers.com/catalog_oc/spring-sp-464

I have a functional Joust I was going to order a spring to verify but shipping from Canada was the killer.

5 months later
#62 3 months ago

Not a clutch fix but I needed some of the reset cams for my On Beam. I ended up modeling and printing them.
Reset Cam C-706 w model (resized).jpgReset Cam C-706 w model (resized).jpg
Details, photos and videos are at https://www.funwithpinball.com/resources/bally-motorized-trip-relays

#63 3 months ago
Quoted from MarkG:

Not a clutch fix but I needed some of the reset cams for my On Beam.

I'm pretty sure those parts can be salvaged out of Bally bingos. The motors and other parts are similar, too. The only thing the bingos lack is a clutch like On Beam and the others of that era.
I could sell you a whole bingo for parts for $75, but you have to come pick it up 8).

#64 3 months ago

I've read that bingos use similar parts but don't recall reading that they're the same parts. The green Bally Bingo book (at https://bingo.cdyn.com/paper/greenbook.pdf) shows a similar assembly on page 36, but the part number is listed as C-706A rather than C-706. I don't know if they're the same or interchangeable.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
$ 22.50
$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-reset-bank-clutch-fix/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.