Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Ry4bo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I own a Bally Radical I recently did some work on, and things seem to be working well on the table however the main X-ramp skateboard diverter sometimes seems to go off on its own and I'm not sure if it's supposed to do this or not. When multiball is triggered, the table seems to do a ball search going through all the switches and then the diverter starts firing on and off during the entire multi ball period. Any clue on how the diverter should work and what might be causing this problem?

#2 10 years ago

after looking at it more closely, it appears mechanical. It seems like the diverter fires and should catch and lock down but it doesn't seem to work on mine. There is an ajustable screw and perhaps I just don't have it set up correctly but its in a difficult location to see and work on without removing. I know not many people own this game as it's quite rare but any insight and especially pictures if anyone owns one would be really helpful.

#3 10 years ago

Here is what is probably happening. This piece here is worn:

http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=BAA&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MX-03-8090

They are impossible to get, and I have a NOS one. I posted that I was going to reproduce the part to get this mech working again, and someone else chimed in with not particularly good ideas and said they were going to re-make it as well. I didn't want to front the start up of reproducing it and loose a bunch of money, so I let him do it. And he never did it.

Thread here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/es-fault-issue

Is this part worn on your machine? Also, the part had some grease on it from the factory, maybe try taking the mech apart cleaning and re-greasing the part. Take the mech apart, new coil sleeve, inspect it, clean up and re-grease the flat cam, make sure all your switches are properly adjusted and take it from there.

#4 10 years ago

I just PM'd Rick about a repo on the part. Apparently it's a real possibility!

#5 10 years ago

I would definitely buy one if it was made available. When I go in manually, the part does catch but not all the time. It may be worn, I have no taken the whole mech off yet but I do plan on doing so. It looks like some parts on the mech are adjustable and felt like maybe mine was not set up correctly but it could be an issue with that part. If Rick is going to make more, Please let me know! thanks for the help!

#6 10 years ago

No problem. Just remember to de-gunk it and re-grease it. You hardly ever use grease in a pinball, but this was greased from the factory. Maybe there is just enough old gunky grease keeping it from catching.

If you need any pics or anything let me know.

#7 10 years ago

pics would help. I'm just not exactly sure how this thing is supposed to look. The parts all seem OK. Everything moves like it should, it seems like the part that catches on the flat cam doesn't always go up far enough to catch. It's a strange problem. I will do what I can and get back on how it all goes. Again I appreciate the input and regardless of whether or not i can get it working fully I'm still interested in any spare parts that are out there.

#8 10 years ago

I bought four of them from the Netherlands a few years back. I still have 2 nos if i can find them, and yes, they are here somewhere. First id like you to check one thing, make sure the bracket/assembly isnt bent back, as this is what was making mine misfire like you describe. Once square again, it worked perfectly. I found this out after i bought the parts and made the change with the same problem.

And id rather send my NOS one to Rick for an example rather then sell it, thus repops can be made.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from JDubbbs:

First id like you to check one thing, make sure the bracket/assembly isnt bent back, as this is what was making mine misfire like you describe. Once square again, it worked perfectly.

Can you provide a photo? I'm hoping it's something simple like this, however I'm not 100% sure how it should look as opposed to how it is on my table. I only recently picked it up and cleaned and fixed everything, however this diverter is the only issue. thanks for all the help

#10 10 years ago

it will be a couple hours before i can get to a photo for ya........... pretty easy though, its a large assembly, just tweek it a few times, you'll find the sweet spot

#11 10 years ago

Rick told me he had already sent a NOS part to the shop that's going to do it, it just got forgotten. I'm hoping once contact is made the part will be available shortly. But who knows, no promises were made.

Quoted from JDubbbs:

And id rather send my NOS one to Rick for an example rather then sell it, thus repops can be made.

#12 10 years ago

Hey after a couple minutes of tweeking I think I have found the sweet spot. It seems to be working, most of the time. At the very least, I think you pointed me in the right direction. However, the ball seems to go right under the diverter when it's down. It's able to lift it up just enough to get under it. Anyone have a similar problem? when i reassembled the game, I took the C-clip off the diverter and still have it off the game, it seemed to be keeping it from going down all the way and I don't see how that's the issue unless I forgot where it's supposed to go. Again i bought the game recently and it wasn't cared for all that well when I found it. There must be a simple explanation for why the ball goes right through the skateboard diverter but I can't figure it out. Thanks for getting me this far though! If i can just get this last kink worked out I'm looking good!

#13 10 years ago

perhaps it wasn't on tight enough? I'm going to see if that's it...

#14 10 years ago

well i had it working for a bit.. but the thing just does not want to catch on the flat cam. Everything looks right..nothing broken or jumping out at me but it just seems like a strange design.

#15 10 years ago

It is strange for sure. Did you re-grease it? Did you look close at your flat came for issues with it? If you try and lock the diverter down slow and manual, does it always work?

#16 10 years ago

I looked close and it appears to be in good shape. If i try and lock it down slowly and manually, it works most of the time, when its in the "sweet spot." And during game play, it sometimes works but not always, and even after it has worked it often will slip and go back up before it is supposed to. I Did not re-grease yet, because it seems to move freely. Sometimes I think I'm only a small adjustment away from getting it to work perfectly, and other times I feel like it's way off.

#17 10 years ago

Also, try replacing the spring that is attached to the cam. Mine was worn out on my es, and replacing the spring fixed the issue.

#18 10 years ago

I would like to replace the spring, just to be sure. It seems the actual spring used is very hard to find or no longer available. Where'd you get your spring from?

#19 10 years ago

If its not catching still, tweek it more and the spring replacement also helps.... Your on the right path. But just in case your flat cam is done with, ill start looking. Drop me a pm for a reminder an ill get on it.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from jojo22:

I would like to replace the spring, just to be sure. It seems the actual spring used is very hard to find or no longer available. Where'd you get your spring from?

I grabbed the one in my game, and went to my local ace hardware. Grabbed a bunch of different ones that looked the same. One of them worked!

#21 10 years ago

Ok, thanks guys. I'll try changing the spring and will let everyone know the results once I get a chance to find some potential replacements.

3 weeks later
#22 10 years ago

Just wanted to update...I did not change out any parts, not even the spring, but i did fix the diverter. If you look at the manual you will notice that the square piece holding the part that locks into the flat cam is at a 90 degree angle. whether this is by coincidence or not im not sure. I always felt that the adjustable screw had everything to do with my problem but since i never encountered this set up before and it wasn't working from the moment I got the table I did not know how this was supposed to work. THe flat came has a triangular cut out underneath where the piece locks down. Basically, the part that locks must be adjusted so that it always runs along the right side of the flat cam and comes back on the left. I know this sounds confusing because I don't know the proper terms, but I'm happy to answer any questions or try to help out anyone else having problems with the same issue. Also, just wanted to let everyone know I got it working Thanks everyone!

7 years later
#23 3 years ago

Can anyone explain what the last post is trying to say. I tried to message Jojo but he's inactive.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 23.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-radical-diverter-question-possible-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.