• Latest reply 7 years ago by slawnski
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1438 (resized).JPG
#1 8 years ago

The center/bottom thumper on my Bally Power Play is intermittent during game play. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. I've run self test and the thumper consistently fires. I've shorted the associated transistor on the Solenoid board and the thumper consistently fires. I've replaced the associated play field switch (including the spoon, diode, contacts and capacitor) and checked the switch gap. I've checked the associated wiring and connectors to the MPU board and Solenoid board. I would welcome any thoughts as to what the problem might be or what to try next!?

#2 8 years ago

First we need to figure out if it is a switch problem or solenoid problem. When it misfires, does it still score points?

#3 8 years ago

The thumper is dead including no scoring.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from Oldschoolpinball:

The thumper is dead including no scoring.

treat this like a switch issue then. The computer reads the switch is closed and then the computer tells the solenoid to pop. Since you have no scoring, the computer isn't seeing that this switch is getting closed.

Start simple. Check the switch itself. Clean it by wiping the contacts with a business card. You can also try this... with the game off. Attach your DMM set to beep when continuity on the switch blades. Close the switch and listen for it to beep. If it is not consistent, you can try cleaning or just replace it.

#5 8 years ago

Using a DMM I tested the switch by pressing on the thumper skirt at different locations. Each time I got a tone!?

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from Oldschoolpinball:

Using a DMM I tested the switch by pressing on the thumper skirt at different locations. Each time I got a tone!?

Don't use the "tone". Some meters will trigger the tone as high as 300 ohms. You need to watch the actual reading on the meter and see what it does. It should almost be a dead short (just like you touching the leads together). Then, you should move the switch while closed (closed, more closed, less closed) and see if the number rise a large amount while you move the points. This would indicate an unclean surface on the contacts. If it holds with a solid low ohms reading (like under 1 or 2 ohms) then you have a switch making good contact.

Some new switches can already be tarnished. As stated, clean with the wipe of a business card. If you used a flex stone or file on your new switch, you basically destroyed it since you would have scared the gold flashing on them.

#7 8 years ago

There is a 0.05 uF capacitor across the points. Should this be removed first before this testing??

#8 8 years ago

Check that cap.

It's job is to make sure the CPU does not miss any hits; so if it's dead, you will not get consistent response.

#9 8 years ago

I haven't checked the cap yet, but I did clean the contacts with a business card. This is a brand new switch and nothing abrasive has ever been used on it. I rechecked the continuity (non-tone) and the meter indicated 0.3 ohms when it settled. I checked again using the thumper skirt at different locations and got the same 0.3 ohms at settle each time. I also tested one of the other thumper contacts and got the same readings. How do I check the 0.05 uF capacitor with the DMM? I thought the cap was there to keep any switch bounce from affecting added scoring??

#10 8 years ago

I checked the capacitor with a cap tester and it checked out OK. Since this a new switch, I decided to re-flow solder on the connections. Anyway, apparently in applying these various suggested ideas, the Thumper seems to be consistently working again!? Thanks to each of you for the suggestions; hopefully I won't be back with the same problem!

#11 8 years ago

At your leasure, get a bunch of those 50v .05uf caps.

They fail ALL THE TIME in the Classic Bally games. Often shorting the switch ON, or flicking ON/OFF/ON .

If I'm doing a playfield swap, I replace them all (just about every playfield switch has one).

100 of them for .90 cents:

http://www.taydaelectronics.com/capacitors/ceramic-disc-capacitors/10-x-0-047uf-50v-ceramic-disc-capacitor-pkg-of-10.html

#12 8 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion on the 0.05 uFcaps, can't beat the price! Seems like a good idea to have some around.

9 months later
#13 7 years ago

Can I use a higher voltage cap in lieu of the 50V?

I'm doing a playfield swap on a power play (that's how I found this thread re: caps) Several caps didn't handle the transition too well. I have .05uF 600V caps I use when re-capping my tube radios- I'm fairly certain I can- just looking for confirmation.
thanks!

#14 7 years ago

If the higher voltage capacitor fits, then you should be OK to use it.

Just an aside, I had another issue with the caps under the playfield - the leads were long, and a cap lead got into the GI circuitry. Wasn't very pretty. Make sure the lead from the cap can't be pushed into the GI braiding. If in doubt, use a piece of electrical tape over the GI braid to insulate it from the capacitor lead.

#15 7 years ago

Ended up going to radio shack near me and getting all their .047 50v capacitors. The 600v were a little large the left is 600v the right 50v.

IMG_1438 (resized).JPGIMG_1438 (resized).JPG

#16 7 years ago

I did see what you meant with the caps sitting near the gi line. I'll be using a brush on insulator where things get close. Thanks for the tip!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 179.00
$ 69.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Walnut Creek, CA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-power-play-thumper-intermittent and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.