20190124_185904 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20190124-171729 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
1966-oldsmobile-toronado (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SkyKing2301.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 5 years ago

Yeah we're going to need a little more info before we can try to help. Which coil?

#10 5 years ago

You should check the switches that trigger that coil -- the Up Post and/or Down Post switches (whichever coil is applicable -- this is a two-coil setup, IIRC, right?) ... make sure they all have a reasonable gap in the switch. If the coil is trying to be 'on' full-time, that could mean one of the switches is stuck closed.

If that doesn't resolve it, then I'd suggest disconnecting one of the wires off the coil that's getting hot, and see if they game operates normally otherwise, without that one coil connected. (Obviously that coil itself won't work, but we can at least check on the health of the rest of the machine.) The game should still play normally without it (albeit without the post feature), so if all else is good, then at least we've isolated the issue to be directly related to that coil (and possibly its transistor and/or associated wiring/switches/connectors).

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from powerplayray:

Ok I think we are stuck on the coil I can not start the game to see anything to work I think more about the solenoid board not working probably .can a resistor on that board be bad causing nothing to work.as far as the coil goes all I did was replace it not change anything on it

Disconnect one wire from the problem coil and see if the game boots up without it.

#17 5 years ago

Is the MPU original or new substitute/replacement? How many flashes do you see on the MPU light when you turn the power on?

Also, what's your history with this game? Was it working fine previously?

#19 5 years ago

Solenoid board. Brand new Alltek Repair man replace the power board and solenoid board along with new outlet plug .was working after about 5 game it made aloud humming sound and stop working.notice the pop up coil was getting hot and smell burning

Ok, so if the MPU was not replaced, then it should have a little red LED on it that flickers momentarily when you power it on, and then will flash a number of times after that (during the bootup process). Knowing how many times it flashes can help point us in the right direction. Open the head, and watch the light on the MPU while you flip on the power. Let us know what you see.

#23 5 years ago

If your MPU is still original, it should look similar to this -- I've circled the light we're talking about. Could also be red (as mine was) if it's been swapped out with a compatible board.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#33 5 years ago

There is no flashes it either off or solid . Plug Game in there's no light lit.unplug it and plug it back in and get us solid green light. That's why if you look at the four pictures you'll see the two boards with less lights on turn on plug it back in and you see I get more lights sporadic

Per the link above:

"No Flashes: the LED is Permanently On.
If you turn your Bally game on, and the LED stays on continually, this is one of the hardest problem to fix on these boards. A stuck on LED can be caused by any (or all!) of the following:

The reset circuit is damaged (after all, it's in the battery corrosion area!). This includes transistors Q1 and Q2 (both 2N3904), Q5 (2N4403), and diodes CR5 (1N4148 or 1N914) and VR1 (1N959B or 1N4738A).
The program ROM (read only memory) at U6 is bad.
The ROM jumpers are incorrectly set for the U6/U2 ROMs installed.
The U9 CPU microprocessor is bad.
The U11 PIA (peripheral interface adapter) is bad.
ANY of the sockets for chips U6, U9, U11 are bad.
The first and last points are probably the most common problems."

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from timab2000:

I have never seen a MPU with a red light, so I learned something today.

Here is my old MPU that came with my Power Play, note the red light. Believe it or not, I managed to resurrect the game using this board -- with a long series of various repairs along the way to keep it running (e.g. corrosion cleanup, repinning, etc), because I was never able to fully neutralize the corrosion. I eventually grew tired of all the issues and put all new boards in. Been playing like a champ every since. I learned a ton working on it though! Anyway, back to the OP...

20190124_185904 (resized).jpg20190124_185904 (resized).jpg

#41 5 years ago

If you're not ready to buy a new MPU you can try cleaning up some of that corrosion -- hit it with some isopropyl alcohol and very fine sandpaper (black) and then rinse again with isopropyl alcohol, and then see if it behaves differently. It's hard to believe that a little corrosion on the surface would have that much effect, but it does, trust me. I battled it for almost three years off & on. It'd be working fine, then it'd get squirrelly again. Pull it out, sand it a little, and it'd come right back to life.

So try that and see how it behaves -- but if that's the problem, then you'll eventually want to give up and buy a new board. I've been there.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
Cabinet parts
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Walnut Creek, CA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 10.00
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp
Other
$ 10.00
Lighting
Yoppsicle
Lighting
$ 69.00
Electronics
Pinball Haus
Electronics
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SkyKing2301.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-power-play-not-powering-up?tu=SkyKing2301 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.