(Topic ID: 120841)

Bally Power Play fully restored inlc CPR playfield swap: Completed!

By DRDAVE

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by woz
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Summer 2010 July 037.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Just finished this restoration of a 1977 Bally Bobby Orr Power Play including a new CPR playfield. Everything rebuilt and bullet proofed including rebuilt chime unit for wonderful pleasing to the ear after-ring tones. Best looking and playing Bobby Orr Power Play I've ever had the pleasure to play/stare at. Going to it's new owner very soon along with a likewise restored 1977 Bally 8-ball we did earlier.

All nice and bright incandescent lighting. No LEDs allowed/needed for my old school restored games.

Vid of it in action:

Pics here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/dr.pinballdoctor.dave/BallyPowerPlay60HRRestorationCompleted?authuser=0&feat=directlink

-Dave (Doc)

www.pinballdoctor.com

#2 9 years ago

Looks awesome!

#3 9 years ago

Beautiful game Dave! Started to kick its ass on 3rd ball.

#5 9 years ago

Real nice!

#6 9 years ago

Beauty!

#7 9 years ago

nice job on the swap. love the "no glass" video when the ball jumps over the upper pop bumper

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

No LEDs allowed/needed for my old school restored games.

+1 on no LED's on the old school stuff. Just does not look right.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

+1 on no LED's on the old school stuff. Just does not look right.

Agree to a point, I had all LEDs in my restored BOPP at first but took them out of the GI sockets as it didn't look right. I did keep them in the inserts as they light up the inserts better than the "old school" ones, especially the roll over inserts. In the roll over inserts the "Flex" #44 are great as it allows you to angle the light and light up the entire inserts!

In the end it's all a matter of taste!

#10 9 years ago

Beautiful work Dave. Wouldn't mind having a BOPP in my collection at some point. Eight ball for sure.

I need to get some pictures of my Rolling Stones I just restored up. You are absolutely right when you have new light sockets and everything working right LED's just don't look right.

#11 9 years ago

Thanks guys. Glad to breathe some new life into this great Classic Bally.

#12 9 years ago

Thanks for posting this - I've been looking for while for someone that has done a BOPP CPR playfield swap. The game looks gorgeous and plays super fast! Nice work.

Did you have any issues with the new playfield doing the swap? Any tips/hints you can pass on. I really should do my pf swap soon....

#13 9 years ago

Sweetness..............

#14 9 years ago

I had to spend an additional 11hrs prepping this CPR field vs a NOS one.
So for some tips on swapping this CPR field:

1) Plan on spending many hrs sanding clear out of all those star rollovers this field has
2) Drop target assembly dimpling is too far back (NOS maybe had this issue as well)
3) Upper left metal guide dimpling is off
4) Dimpling for left and right plastics support posts behind drop targets and pops were off

That's all I can recall from memory. But there were a few other alignment issues.

Summer 2010 July 037.jpgSummer 2010 July 037.jpg
#15 9 years ago

That's my mascot "Skimo" pictured there. =)

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

1) Plan on spending many hrs sanding clear out of all those star rollovers this field has
2) Drop target assembly dimpling is too far back (NOS maybe had this issue as well)
4) Dimpling for left and right plastics support posts behind drop targets and pops were off
That's all I can recall from memory. But there were a few other alignment issues.

Those are all good examples of why it's way better to test fit everything before drilling all the pilot holes !

#17 9 years ago

Agreed. Measure twice and cut (drill) once applies to pinball playfield swaps too. =)

Quoted from vid1900:

Those are all good examples of why it's way better to test fit everything before drilling all the pilot holes !

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

Thanks for the feedback - I'll watch out for these issues when I do my swap.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 179.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Walnut Creek, CA
$ 69.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-power-play-fully-restored-inlc-cpr-playfield-swap-completed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.