• 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by MrBally
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

bally_bumper (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pmdub.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I'm trying to troubleshoot a Bally pop bumper (LT Bumper on the schematic) that won't fire. It works on the diagnostic solenoid test, but will not fire when I close the pop bumper switch or short it manually bypassing the diode. Looking at the schematic showed me that it goes back to the MPU on J2-5 AND J2-15. Disconnecting the J2 plug and shorting those two pins does work to fire the coil. Also everything else in the row and column on the switch matrix seem to work.

I am able to trace one side of the switch back to J2-5 and the other side back to J2-15 using continuity test on the multi-meter. But if I jumper the switch closed, bypassing the diode, I don't seem to get continuity when I test J2-5 and J2-15 on the harness plug with the multi-meter. Does this make sense?
bally_bumper (resized).JPGbally_bumper (resized).JPG

#4 5 years ago

Well I took the playfield out so I could trace wires easier. Everything checked out, and then I put it back in and connected everything and it works again. I have no idea what the problem was. I suspect it will be back, but for now it's fine.

Btw, I did also remove the MPU to look at it. I decided not to reflow any of the connector pins because only one pop bumper was not working. All of the other devices that used the same pins as the pop bumper were fine.

#6 5 years ago

The problem with that theory is that 4 or 5 devices all use the same pins (j2-5 and j2-15) to switch on. There was only a problem with one device, so that leads me to believe it is something else.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Displays
Retro Electro Designs
Displays
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 10.00
Lighting
Yoppsicle
Lighting
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
$ 10.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pmdub.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-pop-bumper-switch-not-working?tu=pmdub and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.