3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by barakandl
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

So I was playing my Bally Playboy with no problem, and then I turned it off to replace a bulb, and then turned it back on. I got a nasty sound from the speaker for a seconds and then turned it off. After turning it on again, I didn't get that nasty sound anymore, but the game won't start. I haven't taken the backglass off to look at the MPU (but will do so, of course). The electronics are AllTek (MPU, Solenoid, Lamp) and NVRAM (Sound).

I should say that I have been having an intermittent problem with the game not starting at power-up. I had had a bad display the last time, and after I removed it and reset the MPU, it worked. I was getting 2 then 4 flashes of the MPU when it was not working. Before removing this bad display, I had been having a problem with the pin not starting up on the first turn-on, but it would start up after doing this a few times. The current displays (#4 is just missing now) are all working fine.

#2 3 years ago

Did a quick test with the connectors (J4 always being plugged in), and it doesn't start up when J1 is plugged in. Interestingly, when J2 & J3 are plugged in, there is the start-up melody, but the timbre was different than usual.

#3 3 years ago

LED wise on the mpu, what are you seeing when turning it on with J4 only plugged onto the mpu?

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rikoshay:

LED wise on the mpu, what are you seeing when turning it on with J4 only plugged onto the mpu?

The 20A fuse for general illumination was blown, so I replaced it.

With only J4 plugged in, it powers up, but with the sound timbre different, but the credit button does not start a new game. Also accidentally, I noticed (i.e., with only J4 plugged in) that the coin door, which sometimes comes loose by a few mm, if pushed all the way back to where it should be causes the general illumination lamps to get slightly dimmer, and the coin slot label lamps to get significantly dimmer - and this behavior is observed even when all J plugs are in. This comports with the fuse blowing.

I shall investigate the general illumination wiring with respect to the coin door

#5 3 years ago

OK, I replaced the coin label lamp sockets, and everything has been working fine!

#6 3 years ago

The sound board has 5v ground, a 43v ground, and it mounts against the grounded backbox rails. When these grounds get at different potentials a nasty hum is introduced. Ultimately it is a connector issue but a lot of people can resolve the hum by pulling the sound board up off the mounting rails so it does not ground against the mount bracket raisl.

The intermittent boot is probably a more critical issue and again connectors first suspect specially since you put all new boards in. Connectors are almost always a mess in these old bally games.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-plays-fine-then-after-off-on-get-nasty-sound-from-speaker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.