By coop

9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by catboxer
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider coop.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

This is a Captain Fantastic Player Up Unit.

Backstory: It's my first machine and it's got mad issues as I bought it from a little old lady (95) who hadn't played it in years. Everything is gummed up. I've read though the pinrepair.com documents which were great. I have the two EM Repair DVDs on order and look forward to learning more.

With that said I'm really wanting to get started but I don't want to make things worse. Hoping the DVDs have a good visual deep dive. I've seen some good score reel and flipper rebuilds on YouTube but I can't seem to dig up a stepper unit rebuild (one with a spider).

Here's the video of the unit not working.

Questions:

1. Do I have to take it all the way off the back box to rebuild or leave it hanging like a score reel? Seems to be a lot of wires but those coils are way back there.

2. Do you ever lube the PCB that the spider spins on? Should the spring on the other side be enough to move it?

3. It seems like I just need to rebuild the coils like I would for the flippers. Maybe a little Super Lube on the metal to metal. Anything else I'm missing?

Thanks

Post edited by coop: Proper YouTube link

#3 9 years ago

Thanks for the leg-up catboxer. Looks like the work day is over so time to jump in the garage and tinker!

#5 9 years ago

I'm such a noob. So I took the spider off and sanded the PCB with 600 grit and alcohol; wiped it down; put a very very thin layer of Super Lube on the PCB and then put the spider back on. That was all it needed! It worked perfect… until I turned the game on. Now I have this.

Sigh…

I figured I must have wiggled a wire and crossed something over but after 20 minutes I couldn't find anything weird. I'm not even sure what the process is to trace something like this down.

EDIT: I just watched that video and I actually did exactly like that video even though I hadn't seen it first.

#7 9 years ago

catboxer, if there was a button on this site that would automatically send a free beer to your house, I would push it.

I'm back in action! That was exactly the problem. Gonna move on to the score reels next.

Thanks! Coop

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,799 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Charlottesville, VA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider coop.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-player-up-unit?tu=coop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.