You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

stepper (resized).jpg
20210511_210240 (resized).jpg
20210511_210236 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

Just curious as to the best way to get this retaining ring for the big spring on a Bally Old Chicago player stepper unit

20210511_210236 (resized).jpg20210511_210236 (resized).jpg20210511_210240 (resized).jpg20210511_210240 (resized).jpg
#2 2 years ago

you mean the retaining washer for the torsion spring on the white plastic ratchet? (green arrow below)

if so, you shouldn't need to take it off ... if you unwind the torsion spring tension, the spring hole fits over the washer. Standard torsion spring tension is 2 turns around the ratchet when ratchet is against the reset stop.

if you are missing the washer on a unit, pm me your address and I'll mail you one.

looks like you have grease/wd-40 on the springs ... recommend you dunk them in an alcohol bath and get the crud off so the spring coils don't stick to each other

stepper (resized).jpgstepper (resized).jpg
#3 2 years ago

Thanks for the reply! Yes, that retaining washer is what I was referring to.

It sounds like the plastic/nylon gear/wheel is rubbing on the main metal surface behind that; I was going to pull the plastic wheel off, clean behind it, and use some super lube to lubricate it.

#5 2 years ago

lube on the plastic is optional. It you use it, eventually someone will need to clean it off.

for plastic ratchets, clean and no lube is fine. Clean the gunk out of the ratchet hole also and you'll have smooth plastic on smooth metal.

if you use gel lube on the contact plate rivets, a really thin smear that you can barely tell it is there is all you want. If the wiper fingers need to plow thru a thicker layer, as the lube dries out the wiper reset will drag/stall (if the unit resets). Eventually someone will need to clean it off .

I shoot for "eventually" = years, not months.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-player-stepper-unit-disassembly-?hl=currieddog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.