Bally Playboy won't kick ball out

By bestofthebunch

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I have a Playboy that won't kick the ball into shooter lane, does not work in solenoid test either. Game goes into game and if you manually load ball all works fine, registers end of ball when it enters out hole but won't reload it. On Playboy the U1 3081 only serves one coil (out hole) so replaced it and no change. Changed the 74154 in case that was an issue but still not working. Changed the Tip102 drive transistor and if you ground it, or the coil lug it kicks.

Any ideas, don't normally get stumped on Bally -35 machines but this one is really weird

#2 9 years ago

Have you gone into switch test mode? Any stuck closed switches?

#3 9 years ago

No ill check now and come back

#4 9 years ago

Found 3 stuck switches, cleared them but out hole still not kicking out

#5 9 years ago

Does the outhole switch register in diagnostics? Use a ball and not your finger to ensure the switch is adjusted correctly. I'm assuming the game boots up normally with 7 flashes? Many times the female and male pins on the MPU board are corroded and so the MPU doesn't "see" the switch closed so make sure in diagnostics.

#6 9 years ago

How about the diode above the TIP102?

How old are the J4 connectors from the MPU to the SDB?

#7 9 years ago

Not likely to be the J4 connectors or you would have other odd coil behavior, but as Vid said, diode CR8 and also R20 are suspect as well as your replacement TIP102.

#8 9 years ago

It's an Altek new board so MPU connector is fine, Solenoid connector is good too. I'll check the CR8 R20 and put in another TIP102 and report back

#9 9 years ago

U11 PIA on MPU board could be bad?

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from Spybryon:

U11 PIA on MPU board could be bad?

Hmm, maybe not if you have new Altek board.

#11 9 years ago

An Alltek board is definitely needed in these old games but that only fixed half of the connector. I always change the female side of the connector as well. Its a pain and time consuming but very necessary IMHO. One pin at a time

#12 9 years ago

I took out every connector from the female plugs and cleaned them so they are all good too, I'll try sons of my spare -35 MPU's in it and see if that makes sny difference and see if I have a working Soldnoid board spare to see if the problem remains or goes away

Cheers
Brian

#13 9 years ago

Just swapped out with known working MPU and same issue, swapped out solenoid board too and same issue. Put the solenoid board into a vector and it kicks coils 2 fine so the solenoid board is ok. Playboy also started kicking the right slingshot instead of the Grotto (coil 3) and kicks the right slingshot when it's supposed to in test?? Checked both coils (out hole & Grotto) kick if you earth the transistor tab (on both solenoid boards). Checked the J4 connector on MPU to make sure I hadn't wrongly reinserted the wires after cleaning the connectors and they are all correct and go to correct pins on Solenoid J4. Checked again and no stuck switches, out hole registers switch 8 if you put the ball into out hole. Baffled!!!!!!

#14 9 years ago

Make sure you clear the memory, then set it back to Playboy.

#15 9 years ago

Had an MPU -35 installed, put the Altek back in, cleared memory and still the same. Continuity tested the Solenoid momentary wires and solenoid bank select and all ok

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Coffs Harbour, NS
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Diego, CA
$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

2,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Macomb, MI
$ 10.00
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-playboy-wont-kick-ball-out and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.