Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by BigAl56
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

Having two issues maybe someone can help me with. First issue is coining up. I have the dips set according to the manual for one coin one credit. (Im using 7 digit displays, so freeplay is not an option) I add one credit and get a sound (not the wolf whistle) it acts like a half credit, i coin up a second time and get the wolf whistle and it adds a credit, but it doesnt stop, it keeps wolf whistling and adding credit after credit and doesnt stop untill i turn it off.

Next issue i have is i seem to be getting alot of speaker hum when the displays are on. As the displays blink on and off the hum goes away when they are off and comes back when the displays are lit.

#2 2 years ago
Quoted from cysnake:

Next issue i have is i seem to be getting alot of speaker hum when the displays are on. As the displays blink on and off the hum goes away when they are off and comes back when the displays are lit.

Pretty normal Bally behavior, floating the soundboard off the backplain grounds might reduce it somewhat.

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from cysnake:

Having two issues maybe someone can help me with. First issue is coining up. I have the dips set according to the manual for one coin one credit. (Im using 7 digit displays, so freeplay is not an option) I add one credit and get a sound (not the wolf whistle) it acts like a half credit, i coin up a second time and get the wolf whistle and it adds a credit, but it doesnt stop, it keeps wolf whistling and adding credit after credit and doesnt stop untill i turn it off.

Does it do this for all three coin switches? What are your dip settings for the three chutes?

#4 2 years ago

replace old caps on sound board and check grounding

my guess you are using led displays, the buzz with them is extremely annoying, i may have had to add an additional ground going to the display loop or was it the 5v? can't remember but i did solve it

#5 2 years ago

Are you sure the dip switches on the board are in fact set for Playboy?

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from creepykenny:

replace old caps on sound board and check grounding
my guess you are using led displays, the buzz with them is extremely annoying, i may have had to add an additional ground going to the display loop or was it the 5v? can't remember but i did solve it

Sound board was recapped and new header pins and connector pins. Yes, using xpin displays. If you happen to remember how you did it, please let me know

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Pretty normal Bally behavior, floating the soundboard off the backplain grounds might reduce it somewhat.

Ill try that tonight. Thanks!

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Does it do this for all three coin switches? What are your dip settings for the three chutes?

Yes, only using 2 coin switches, dip settings are set according to the manual, 1 coin / 1 play, switches 1-off, 2-on, and 3,4,5-off, then s25,26,27,28 are off which says "same as coin chute 1 settings"

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

Are you sure the dip switches on the board are in fact set for Playboy?

im going to double check tonight, i had weebly pre set the switches for playboy

#10 2 years ago

It sounds like the games per coin is not set properly. Is this happening on both the left and right coin chute?
I have a B&I board, freeplay is set by setting the max credits to 35 or higher. I wanted my game to run in coin mode and discovered through trial and error max credits needs to be set to 30 or lower.
Why that is precluded by enabling 7 digits is unknown but admittedly I have not looked in the manual to confirm.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from cysnake:

Yes, only using 2 coin switches, dip settings are set according to the manual, 1 coin / 1 play, switches 1-off, 2-on, and 3,4,5-off, then s25,26,27,28 are off which says "same as coin chute 1 settings"

I would shut off the "same as chute one" setting and see what it does with the individual switches.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I would shut off the "same as chute one" setting and see what it does with the individual switches.

ill give that a shot as well tonight.

#13 2 years ago

Another question- Was the MPU used in another machine before Playboy?

Go through the audits and zero out each one, some weird things can happen if there is old data stored in memory.

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Go through the audits and zero out each one, some weird things can happen if there is old data stored in memory.

no, ordered it new for playboy

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from cysnake:

no, ordered it new for playboy

Still worth going through and clearing the audits in case there is some garbage data in memory.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Still worth going through and clearing the audits in case there is some garbage data in memory.

Will do! Ill post back tomorrow with results. Thanks everyone!

#17 2 years ago

i think after doing all recommended in this thread and still having the buzz, I used a couple jumpers and discovered with my machine if I added/doubled up on the grounds at the harness going to the displays the buzzing disappeared, i don't remember floating the sound board making any difference with my machine

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-playboy-buzzing-sound

#18 2 years ago

All fixed! Thanks everyone! Floating the sound board completely eliminated all hum, shes quiet as a mouse. Coin up was indeed just dip switch settings. Two other issues i noticed. When the lower pop bumper pops, its making the upper right pop as well, even in coil test. Sometimes with the ball in play the game thinks the ball has drained. When the ball does drain it doesnt register (im thinking this could be the diode)

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from cysnake:

All fixed! Thanks everyone! Floating the sound board completely eliminated all hum, shes quiet as a mouse. Coin up was indeed just dip switch settings. Two other issues i noticed. When the lower pop bumper pops, its making the upper right pop as well, even in coil test. Sometimes with the ball in play the game thinks the ball has drained. When the ball does drain it doesnt register (im thinking this could be the diode)

Old playfield switch capacitors have done strange activations for me. Disconnect capacitor to test. Not a bad idea to replace them all.

#20 2 years ago

If floating the sound board fixes the sound it some kind of grounding issue. Bally isolates a lot the ground returns, when the sound board's backbox, 43v/12v and 5v grounds have any resistance between each other a nasty hum can happen. If it is working fine now I wouldn't try and chase down the problem.

There is kind of a bug in the software. Pop bumpers are active in all test modes for some games and I think it includes this one. So when one pop goes off, the one next to it is probably switch gapped to close and also fires with the vibration.

Quoted from BigAl56:

It sounds like the games per coin is not set properly. Is this happening on both the left and right coin chute?
I have a B&I board, freeplay is set by setting the max credits to 35. (not 40 as it says in the instructions). Why that is precluded by enabling 7 digits is unknown but admittedly I have not looked in the manual to confirm.

Bally games will be in free play when set to maximum credits, which is forty, unless the setup sheet has different info. What switches set max credits varies depending on what OS ROM is used, but it is specified in the setup sheet.

Quoted from gdonovan:

I typically zero out the RAM before sending out the MPU. Sometimes I will turn on the sound audit settings because I get a lot of emails about that. When switching to a new game, clear out the audits like this. Or use the RAM clear (combo rom dip 8 on, rest off).

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Bally games will be in free play when set to maximum credits, which is forty, unless the setup sheet has different info. What switches set max credits varies depending on what OS ROM is used, but it is specified in the setup sheet.

Sorry, meant to say coinplay. I found that setting max credits to 35 or 40 the game remained in freeplay. I had to set max credits for 30 or less to get the game running in coinplay.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Macomb, MI
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Diego, CA
Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
$ 199.95
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Coffs Harbour, NS
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-playboy-with-weebly-mpu-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.