Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0076 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0074 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0075 (resized).jpeg
20220320_002025.jpg
#1 2 years ago

I'm getting SO CLOSE on this playfield swap I can taste it (which may or may not be a good thing on Playboy...)

So - I have ONE LAMP that refuses to light. There seems to be some weirdness on the circuit but I can't put my finger on it. Its bulb Q27, the "6" bonus on the playfield (right in front of the right flipper..) I have an Alltek board (if that is relevant) and am using the test board to manually cycle through to the specific bulb to test.

Every other lamp works as intended on the playfield - I went through then entire loop and checked each one.

When I illuminate lamp Q27 (the # 6) I am positively getting power from the pin on the board. I can connect a test lamp to the pin on the board to the backbox ground and it illuminates as intended. However, when I try to connect from the board pin to the ground braid wire on the playfield, it's no good. I Idid try to connect in several place on the ground braid.

Running from the board pin the socket separately doesn't help either. No other lamp shows this issue.

- Yes, I did try a known good bulb
- I did check continuity on the white - blue wire from the plug in the backbox to the socket on the PF and we're good there.

I'm not sure where else to go on this. Like I said, every other light works fine. I'm not sure if i'm missing some test but I can't think of what's missing here.

#2 2 years ago

The board pin is the ground wire , not the "ground braid" which is the positive 5v
Sorry trying to wrap my head around it...so what happens if you sneak the test socket base under the 5v and put that bulb wire to the tab; it doesn't work?
What happens if instead of that wire, you use the wire from the lamp next to it(jump), does it light?

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from Clnilsen:

I did check continuity on the white - blue wire from the plug in the backbox to the socket on the PF and we're good there.

Does the lamp illuminate when you ground the white-blue wire at the lamp socket?

#4 2 years ago

Did you install all new lamp sockets?

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

Did you install all new lamp sockets?

Yes all new lamp sockets

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Does the lamp illuminate when you ground the white-blue wire at the lamp socket?

No (if I understand what you’re saying - taking current from the wire at the socket to the ground braid?)

#7 2 years ago

The Ground braid under the playfield is your 5 volt rail. Take the other side of the lamp( white blue wire) and put it to ground. The lamp in the socket should lite.

#8 2 years ago

Test socket hooked to power wire, ground to tab/nipple.

20220320_002025.jpg20220320_002025.jpg

#9 2 years ago

OK thanks every for the thoughts!

Here's all the tests I could think of to try, hopefully something here indicates a thought:

PF Socket Tests
Test 1 - Bulb 27 tab (White / Blue wire) -> 5V rail in backbox = Test light YES!...Bulb in socket on playfield NO

Test 2 - Bulb 27 tab (White / Blue wire) -> Braid on Playfield (Ground?) = Test light NO ...Bulb in socket on playfield NO

Test 3 - Bulb 27 tab (white / Blue wire) -> Tab on Q28 (bonus 10) = Test light NO... Bulb in socket on playfield NO

Light board tests with a test lamp

Test 4 - Q27 pin on light board -> 5V backbox braid = Test light YES!

Test 5 - Q27 Pin on Light board -> Solid blue wire on PF that is attached to the ground braid ON PF = Test light NO

Test 6 - Q27 Pin on light board -> 5V rail in back box = Test light YES!

Hope something jumps out here??? my first blush is that something off with the playfield ground bread, but EVERYTHING else works right???

#10 2 years ago

I'm not really understanding your tests, but are you saying if you connect 5V to the white-blue lamp wire, the #6 bonus lamp illuminates? You may have damaged Q27 with your tests.

To reiterate what's been said, the braid wire stapled to the playfield that runs to the base of all the feature lamp sockets is *not* ground, it is 5.4VDC power.
Q27 on the lamp driver board electronically switches the white-blue wire to ground to illuminate the lamp.

The braid running to the G.I sockets has a ground braid and a 7.3VAC braid.

So if the lamp lights when you connect 5V to the white-blue wire it sounds like you've connected the G.I ground braid wire to the #6 lamp base, which would be a bit odd considering it's surrounded by other bonus feature lamps.

Post a picture of the lamp socket wiring.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

I'm not really understanding your tests, but are you saying if you connect 5V to the white-blue lamp wire, the #6 bonus lamp illuminates? You may have damaged Q27 with your tests.
To reiterate what's been said, the braid wire stapled to the playfield that runs to the base of all the feature lamp sockets is *not* ground, it is 5.4VDC power.
Q27 on the lamp driver board electronically switches the white-blue wire to ground to illuminate the lamp.
The braid running to the G.I sockets has a ground braid and a 7.3VAC braid.
So if the lamp lights when you connect 5V to the white-blue wire it sounds like you've connected the G.I ground braid wire to the #6 lamp base, which would be a bit odd considering it's surrounded by other bonus feature lamps.
Post a picture of the lamp socket wiring.

I'll try to get a picture tonight after work, but what I'm saying is that when I try to illuminate the Q27 bulb (#6 bonus), and connect a test light from the white/blue wire to the playfield braid that is the same braid connected to the other bonus lights that all work correctly, nothing happens. When I connect from the white/blue wire to the backbox braid, the test light works. I've never been able to get the actual bulb in the socket to light (though I have known good bulbs in the socket).

I keep thinking there's a continuity issue on the white/blue wire, but I have checked it with a meter and have continuity.

I definitely do not have the GI ground wire anywhere near the bonus bulb sections.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from Clnilsen:

...and connect a test light from the white/blue wire to the playfield braid that is the same braid connected to the other bonus lights that all work correctly, nothing happens...

Please pictures....this is like so amazingly confusing It sounds like you are connecting the tab of the socket (-)to the playfield braid (+); which is incorrect.

When a light doesn't work the first thing we think of is a blown SCR...which is why you need to hook the white/blue wire to the tab of another socket that has power, which will tell us if it's working correctly. leading us to....

Quoted from Clnilsen:

and connect a test light from the white/blue wire to the playfield braid that is the same braid connected to the other bonus lights that all work correctly, nothing happens..

...this may be what you are doing but it's confusing.

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Please pictures....this is like so amazingly confusing It sounds like you are connecting the tab of the socket (-)to the playfield braid (+); which is incorrect.
When a light doesn't work the first thing we think of is a blown SCR...which is why you need to hook the white/blue wire to the tab of another socket that has power, which will tell us if it's working correctly. leading us to....

...this may be what you are doing but it's confusing.

Definitely will do. THANKS IN ADAVANCE ! for the help!!

#14 2 years ago

I had same issue. In lamp test, measure voltage of transistor tabs on Alltek board. Should go down to 0V for instant. On mine one did not. Bad transistor.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from Kent_Diego:

I had same issue. In lamp test, measure voltage of transistor tabs on Alltek board. Should go down to 0V for instant. On mine one did not. Bad transistor.

OK Going to ask a dumb question - can you help me understand how to do that? Which legs on the board transistor to what? (Sorry for the dumb question..)

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from Clnilsen:

OK Going to ask a dumb question - can you help me understand how to do that? Which legs on the board transistor to what? (Sorry for the dumb question..)

Attach the negative lead of volt meter to large ground strap running through back box. Put machine in lamp test mode by pressing test switch in coin door. Touch red positive lead of voltmeter to each transistor tab and verify meter flashes to near zero volts at some point. Each transistor has a small tab at top. That tab is electrically connected to lamp center contact. If you ground the tab, the lamp will light up.

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from Clnilsen:

I've never been able to get the actual bulb in the socket to light (though I have known good bulbs in the socket).

Please tell us what happens when you ground the white-blue wire at the actual playfield lamp socket. Use the thick braid wire running along the inside of the cabinet as your true ground reference.
This will tell us if the problem is local to the lamp/socket or upstream.

#18 2 years ago

OK I think I got my homework done!

Test 1 - Board test - Q27 activated in lamp test mode, Meter set to V~. Attached the negative lead of volt meter to large ground strap running through back box and red positive lead of voltmeter to each transistor tab -- THIS sounds potentially borked?? Left leg is 0; Middle leg is 3.3v; right leg is 128.9mv ????

Test 2 - White/Blue wire soldered on socket tab to ground braid in cabinet - Test light illuminates IMG_0075 (resized).jpegIMG_0075 (resized).jpeg

Test 3 - Jumper from Q28 tab to Q27 Tab - BOTH lights illuminate (Q27 REALLY BRIGHTLY!)IMG_0074 (resized).jpegIMG_0074 (resized).jpeg

Test 4 - Run Jumper from White/Blue wire soldered on socket tab to Test socket attached to ground braid in cabinet - First the test light illuminated, then the Q27 bulb flickered on weakly??IMG_0076 (resized).jpegIMG_0076 (resized).jpeg

#19 2 years ago

Update - so, at this point I’m calling the board borked. Turned it on this afternoon to rethink this, and now I have no feature lighting. Tried a second known good playfield I have, and it’s the same thing.

Ordered a new board (yes I know they’re warranted, just hadn’t heard back yet and need to get this going).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Diego, CA
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Coffs Harbour, NS
$ 10.00
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

2,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Macomb, MI
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 199.95

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-playboy-wierd-behavior-one-lamp-refuses-to-comply and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.