Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by McSquid
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Hi, recently finished Bally playboy restoration. The ball serve coil fires, and does not seem weak, but struggles to serve the ball over the little metal hill into the shooter lane. Succeeds maybe 1/3 of the time. The mechanism has been disassembled, cleaned, new coil sleeve, and resoldered. The arm pushing the ball just seems like a bad design.

Anyone ever had an issue like this with an early Bally? How did you solve it?

#2 5 years ago

Take the apron off and watch it. Does it move freely, even if cleaned etc. ? Does it strike the ball square or up a little ? or downward ? Which would cost power.

Should be easy to fix with a little thinking or bending.

LTG : )

#3 5 years ago

Did you check the solenoid driver board for cracked print headers?

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Take the apron off and watch it. Does it move freely, even if cleaned etc. ? Does it strike the ball square or up a little ? or downward ? Which would cost power.
Should be easy to fix with a little thinking or bending.
LTG : )

The mech works correctly, moves freely and does not seem weak. The arm makes solid contact with the ball, though the angle of the arm seems like a lot of power is lost there. I could adjust this, but I'd have to drill new mounting holes for the bracket. I'd rather exhaust any other options first.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

Did you check the solenoid driver board for cracked print headers?

All headers have been replaced and all connectors repinned.

#6 5 years ago

Are all the screws in place holding the ramp? Have you polished / cleaned the ramp to reduce friction? You can slightly bend the ramp to a lesser angle and still screw it down.

#7 5 years ago

Problem solved. Truth be told I'm kind of embarrassed it took me a day to come up with it. I just grabbed some huge pliers and bent out the tab that pushes the ball to make more solid contact. Thanks everyone!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
$ 22.50
2,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Macomb, MI
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Coffs Harbour, NS
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Diego, CA
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-playboy-struggles-to-serve-ball?hl=tomdrum and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.