Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Ptav
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

Hello all- I am the proud owner of a Bally Playboy game in good working condition. I have noticed a few lights are out on the playfield- (including extra ball, #3 & 5 in the grotto, #10 bonus count & drop target special light) the bulbs test out good and sometimes they work (some light during the self-test). Wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction on fixing these issues. Could be the bulb sockets are dirty/rusty, how do these sockets come out to clean/test etc.? Thanks in advance! Paul

#2 2 years ago
Quoted from Ptav:

Hello all- I am the proud owner of a Bally Playboy game in good working condition. I have noticed a few lights are out on the playfield- (including extra ball, #3 & 5 in the grotto, #10 bonus count & drop target special light) the bulbs test out good and sometimes they work (some light during the self-test). Wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction on fixing these issues. Could be the bulb sockets are dirty/rusty, how do these sockets come out to clean/test etc.? Thanks in advance! Paul

Most likely dirty, corroded, or rusty sockets. Best cleaning method I have found is a dremel with a #43 brush (game off, and unplugged) to clean out the inside. Have heard others use gun cleaning brushes, scotch pads, rolled up sandpaper, small wire brushes. Don't recommend ever using steel wool (the little bits that fall off are great for shorting out electrical connections).

If cleaning doesn't work. Then often it is a connection issue inside the socket. There are various threads / posts on Pinside on how to fix the loose connections. But many people just replace them. I have tried the solder on the outside of the socket method with mixed results.

#3 2 years ago

Yeah thanks for the info- a couple things- I do want to remove them and try to clean b/c they do look rusty, but how do they come out? They seem to be soldered to the underside of the playfield, (sorry, kinda a newbie!) could someone send a link to “ various threads / posts on Pinside on how to fix the loose connections” I seem to spend a ton of time wading thru the form looking for answers (also new to the forum) and finally how do you join the say Bally Playboy club on the forum? Thanks in advance, paul

#4 2 years ago

Just replace them. Bally sockets are crap. Marco and PBR sell replacements. Flip the PF up so it lays on the head, using a blanket to protect it. Learn to solder if you can't:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/terrybs-soldering-guide-part-1

Remove the screw, use soldering iron to loosen solder and hold using needle nose pliers to keep from getting burned. Replace and re-solder. Stick a rag under your work to catch any loose solder.

#6 2 years ago

Perfect! Just what I need thanks again!,

#7 2 years ago

Hey tomdrum- I can solder &.am looking to replace some sockets as per your recommendation, probably start with ordering 10 from Marco, I’m just not clear on “ Flip the PF up so it lays on the head, using a blanket to protect it.” you mean fully upside down & leaning on the protected head? Do any wires need to be disconnected beforehand? Just making sure

#8 2 years ago

Never mind- I figured it out

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from Ptav:

Never mind- I figured it out

Best part of owing a pin, figuring it out yourself!

#10 2 years ago

I too also got a Bally Playboy. Brought it home and never turned it on. Immediately started working on a full rehab of the game. Anyone will tell you that the sockets that Bally used were very poor in quality when they were new. Now some 40 years later they have not gotten any better.

If you plan to keep the game, start replacing all the sockets. There is also another option called the Yoppsicle where instead of replacing sockets and then possibly doing leds. You just use the Yoppsicle and in one step you have removed the faulty sockets and added leds to your game.

The sockets in the game are a real achielles heel. They will be fine, you turn your back and they’re not. Best to replace them all if your up to it. It is time consuming. I just completed this task on the backbox and it was laborious. Not hard just time consuming. But now that known issue is dealt with.

Guess it kind of depends on whether or not you enjoy playing the games more or working on them. Fir me it is the latter. Like to take an old girl and make her shiny and new not to mention reliable. That’s a biggie!!

Just go slow, do one at a time and pay attention to what you’re doing and you’ll feel accomplished and have a more reliable game.

I highly recommend going the Led route as well if for no other reason heat! The combined heat from all those incandescent lamps adds up. Leds are much cooler and won’t wear on the machine nearly as hard. Heat is a killer

Hope this is helpful

G

#11 2 years ago

Thanks for all the info- went ahead and ordered new sockets from Marco Sp., yeah the head bulbs have been converted to LED but the playfield is still incandescent lamps which I plan on keeping for now. (I’m more of a player than a fixer-upper, but I like everything in proper working order) hopefully these new sockets will solve my issues.

#12 2 years ago

Sounds like a plan!!

#13 2 years ago

On your next Marco order you might want to add a few 2n5060 or 2n5064 lamp driver scr’s, if you still have the original lamp driver board installed.

#14 2 years ago

What are these “2n5064 lamp drivers” for? & where do they go? Newbie questions!

#15 2 years ago

You will see them on the lamp driver board. Small half moon devices usually each one powers an individual lamp. Quite common they open and don’t allow the lamp to work, when you’ve ruled out the socket and bulb.

#16 2 years ago

Ok- thanks a lot for the info on the lamp drivers, it’s probably what I need b/c the sockets seem fine & only one of 5 burnouts work after cleaning etc. I’m guessing the drivers are numbered, or how do you track which driver powers which bulb? Also I have another situation, One bulb (drop target special light) works during the self-test but not during game play! Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks again all

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from Ptav:

I’m guessing the drivers are numbered, or how do you track which driver powers which bulb?

The lamp driver schematic shows this info. Every bulb on the playfield is described in some text next to connectors J1, J2, J3, J4. Each one of these is wired to a lamp driver SCR labelled Q14-Q53

Quoted from Ptav:

One bulb (drop target special light) works during the self-test but not during game play! Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks again all

Perhaps that bulb never turning on could be a switch problem instead of lamp problem?
All 5 of the drop switches need to register correctly for the lamp to ever turn on.

Check if all 5 of the associated switches for that lamp work or not:
Reset all 5 drops to the up position and start a game. Check if each individual drop are scoring points and making a sound during a game when they fall. Also when they all get knocked down they reset to the up position.

Does it always reset to the up position during a game after all 5 getting knocked down? If so, then the switches are working fine and not the cause of the lamp problem.

Also check in switch test that as each individual drop falls it changes the last closed switch number to the correct switch number. There should be 5 unique switch numbers displayed as each drop falls.

#18 2 years ago

If you download the schematic from the database, it’s page 2 explains the pinout of the lamp driver board.

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from Spybryon:

The lamp driver schematic shows this info. Every bulb on the playfield is described in some text next to connectors J1, J2, J3, J4. Each one of these is wired to a lamp driver SCR labelled Q14-Q53

Perhaps that bulb never turning on could be a switch problem instead of lamp problem?
All 5 of the drop switches need to register correctly for the lamp to ever turn on.
Check if all 5 of the associated switches for that lamp work or not:
Reset all 5 drops to the up position and start a game. Check if each individual drop are scoring points and making a sound during a game when they fall. Also when they all get knocked down they reset to the up position.
Does it always reset to the up position during a game after all 5 getting knocked down? If so, then the switches are working fine and not the cause of the lamp problem.
Also check in switch test that as each individual drop falls it changes the last closed switch number to the correct switch number. There should be 5 unique switch numbers displayed as each drop falls.

Thanks, I get what you mean, one or more targets aren’t contacting to trigger the light, works perfectly except for the light.

Also found the schematic to trace the lamp drivers to the sockets! Easy

1 week later
#20 2 years ago

If you like the "original" look of incandescent lamps on the play field. I have found that using comet warm white frosted LED's anywhere you can't actually see the lamp when playing. Mixed with incandescents where you can see even a small slice of lamp. Brightens the game, reduces heat under plastics, and still gives pretty close to an original look.

#21 2 years ago

The LED consideration also has to do with how often the game will be on. I've tried every kind of led in my games - warm white, frosted, clear, etc, in EMs, SS, and DMD games. I have colored ones under some inserts in some games for an extra pop of color, but zero in any GI, whether visible or not. Only DE SW has them in the backbox because it was dark. They just don't look the same to me. I run 44s in all of the GI.

We're fortunate enough to have a decent size collection and the games are rarely played, and when they are we just fire up the one we're playing. We have a couple parties a year when the entire game room may be lit up for 5 or 6 hours, but I'd be surprised if any of these machines are on more than 24 hours a year. Consequently there's no concern about keeping incandescents in them.

1 week later
#22 2 years ago

thanks guys! switched out 3 SCR's and now all lights working. perfect

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Coffs Harbour, NS
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Macomb, MI
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Diego, CA
Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
$ 22.50

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-playboy-some-lights-out and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.