Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by swampwiz
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

The switch test is showing a stuck switch at the left thumper, but I am looking at it, and it's default open as it should be. The diode is good, and as for the capacitor, my multimeter can't measure the .05 μF (I will be getting one that will be able to do so soon).

I should also say that the credit button is not starting a new game; I am not sure if this is related, although sometimes these switch issues can be.

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from swampwiz:

and as for the capacitor, my multimeter can't measure the .05 μF

Just cut one of the capacitor legs close to the solder joint and bend the capacitor away so it's disconnected. If switch mode stops reporting that left thumper bumper switch as closed then the capacitor is faulty. Replace it with a 0.047uf 100V capacitor. The thumper bumper will work without the capacitor, it's just that on really fast hits it may not score.

Quoted from swampwiz:

I should also say that the credit button is not starting a new game;

Probably not related to the thumper bumper as they are in different parts of the switch matrix. Presume you have credits?

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Just cut one of the capacitor legs close to the solder joint and bend the capacitor away so it's disconnected. If switch mode stops reporting that left thumper bumper switch as closed then the capacitor is faulty. Replace it with a 0.047uf 100V capacitor. The thumper bumper will work without the capacitor, it's just that on really fast hits it may not score.

Probably not related to the thumper bumper as they are in different parts of the switch matrix. Presume you have credits?

Yes, I have credits. I didn't want to cut the capacitor, but I guess without a proper meter I have no choice moving on.

OK, I've cut the capacitor, and I still have the stuck switch.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from swampwiz:

OK, I've cut the capacitor, and I still have the stuck switch.

Between the two contact leafs of the switch, there's a 3/4 length tensioner blade. Is the tensioner blade by any chance shorting between the two outer switch leafs?

Quoted from swampwiz:

Yes, I have credits.

Does that start button respond in switch test mode?

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Between the two contact leafs of the switch, there's a 3/4 length tensioner blade. Is the tensioner blade by any chance shorting between the two outer switch leafs?

Does that start button respond in switch test mode?

I knew about the tension blade. I cleaned off the pin contacts at the MPU board, and now it works! I figured out that I can do a continuity check all the way to the board if I take the board out and plug in the female pinblock and put the meter probe on the outer side of the resistor that corresponds to the pinblock input. While I was getting this set up, I noticed a resistance of 37 ohms, so I cleaned off the gunk (I had used DeoxIT D5, and there was some residue from the cleaning) after which there were continuity checks on both sides, and now the credit button works fine.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 69.00
Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

2,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Macomb, MI
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Coffs Harbour, NS
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Diego, CA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-playboy-showing-switch-error-but-it-looks-good and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.