(Topic ID: 155263)

Bally Playboy Repair/Troubleshooting

By NewGuyPaul

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Hello everyone, I'm trying to help my buddy out with a '78 Bally Playboy table he has.

To make a long story as short as possible he's had it unworking for a year or 2 now and on the advise of another chap (who I guess he's lost contact with or something, I got nominated due to my position as "pc/tech guy") we've just replaced the MPU board, which has helped (turns on now!) but although I've tried to follow the troubleshooting routine in the documentation we have come to a stop.

So like I said it fires up now but we can't seem to make any progress beyond that. I've run the self tests and although there's a few burnt out bulbs and a few solenoids don't kick/seem quiet everything else seems ok, but that's all we can get it to do. The only thing noted was that I had to use the self test button on the MPU board as the button behind the coin slot didn't wanna work, it doesn't register coin drops and there's no flipper action either so I dunno if that points to an issue at the front end or what?

Anyone have any tips?

#2 8 years ago

Does the start button respond in the switch test?

#3 8 years ago

It didn't indicate an error for for that iirc, I have a note of #2 Solenoid ("Knocker") & #2 Switch ("Drop Target B"") not responding from last weekend.

#4 8 years ago

Did you replace the MPU with an Alltek or just another MPU? Really either way, did you rebuild the plugs for the MPU?

#5 8 years ago

Well the old board had been removed already, presumably by the previous guy, I just installed the new board & reconnected the (3? I forget atm tbh lol) cables/connectors I could see (didn't do anything to 'em), it's an Alltech Ultimate MPU board, I used the table at the back of the manual that came with it to set the Game Select Switch.

#6 8 years ago

My point is that on these old Bally's both the pins on the boards and the connectors within the plugs suffer terribly from corrosion. The pins on the Alltek would be good, but if the connectors within the plugs are corroded, regardless if the board is new, they simply won't make good contact. Rebuilding the plugs (crimping new Molex connectors), soldering in new pins on the boards other than the Alltek, rebuilding the power supply will generally solve most problems...

#7 8 years ago

Ah ok, I see. That's kinda getting towards the borderline of what I'm comfortable with but I'll talk to my guy and we'll go from there.

Thanks for the help.

#8 8 years ago

I would also say that you may want to get in touch with the local pinball/arcade community here in the Puget Sound area. As a run up to the Northwest Pinball and Arcade show in June there are a number of "repair parties" being held around the area. This is a good way to get help with some of the skills you will want to develop to be able to maintain your own systems and a good way to meet other collectors/enthusiasts in the area.

http://www.nwpinballshow.com/

An e-mail to one of the contact address should get you in touch with the people who can let you know when the next parties or events are being held.

#9 8 years ago

Cool beans, thanks for the info Wonko, I'll pass it on.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

2,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Macomb, MI
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Coffs Harbour, NS
Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Diego, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-playboy-repairtroubleshooting and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.