(Topic ID: 116856)

Bally Playboy playfield or overlay wanted!

By Tensikka

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

original colors.jpg
IMG_3674s.jpg
DSC_0133.JPG
#1 9 years ago

Hi all,

Just wanted to check is there any Bally Playboy playfields out there to be used in another project machine. Looking for repro/nos = like new. Or another way to approach is overlay, so if somebody has high quality overlay (or digital source material), that would also do. Please offer what ever you have.

2 months later
#2 9 years ago

BUMP

#3 9 years ago

Yep, still valid request. Good quality scan/image would be best for cheap ass hobbyist like me

#4 9 years ago

There are nice repros out there but cheap ass hobbyists have little chance of ever getting one.

They usually go for good money. Heck they were hundreds of dollars new.

#5 9 years ago

Well, all the repros that I have found have been more than the whole game is worth. Prices gone up after CPR sold out. Some 700 could be doable for new playfield but everyone who has offered their own for sale thinks that it's made of gold.

#6 9 years ago

There are overlays out there. I got one a while back but have plans for it. They are out there just keep looking.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from Tensikka:

Well, all the repros that I have found have been more than the whole game is worth. Prices gone up after CPR sold out. Some 700 could be doable for new playfield but everyone who has offered their own for sale thinks that it's made of gold.

For $700 you'd have to find someone who was pretty-desperate for money. When you add the shipping costs to what people originally paid for one it comes out to be about that much. I waited a year to get mine and there is now way I would ever sell it for $700. I could put it on eBay for $1,000 and it would sell pretty effortlessly. That's not thinking it's made of gold. That's just the reality of it.

#8 9 years ago

if you really want an overlay, try classic arcade on e-bay, he used to have some.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

if you really want an overlay, try classic arcade on e-bay, he used to have some.

Great tip, overlay on it's way

1 week later
#10 8 years ago

And it arrived. Looks like quality work, colors should pop up greatly when cleared. An nice surprise was that all the holes are precutted, just need to align carefully (naturally)

DSC_0133.JPGDSC_0133.JPG
#11 8 years ago

Use extreme caution when mounting hardware topside. If anything twists under the screws the overlay will wrinkle. Just be careful...

#12 8 years ago

I'll naturally clearcoat whole playfield so wrinkling shouldn't be an issue. But thanks for the heads up!

#13 8 years ago

It will still wrinkle under the clearcoat.

Be super cautious, and start assembly at the rear of the playfield, so the first few wrinkles will be out of sight.

#14 8 years ago

Any tips to avoid the wrinkling? I'll be installing my first overlay on my first pin project pretty soon. Is it a matter of making sure to cut away enough overlay material around each screw hole so it doesn't catch? And making sure to not over-tighten?

#15 8 years ago

whatever you tighten down, make sure it doesn't spin on the clear. If there is no way around it, don't over tighten.

#16 8 years ago

Use a roller, and make sure you press the decal as hard as you can, especially where the star posts will be installed.

Let the clear dry 6 months or so.

It seems to wrinkle alot under the star posts, and it seems to happen about a week or 2 after installing them.

#17 8 years ago

A month ago I restored the playfield of a Bally PLAYBOY pinball machine for a local customer using a different version for the overlay.

Robert

IMG_3674s.jpgIMG_3674s.jpg
#18 8 years ago

Thank you veteran-class restorers for the tip! I'll try to do it "by the book", if succeed, then I'll make some thread here

One thing that is still bugging me, is that I really would like to use that original wood-tone in the parts that it belongs. So my plan is to install overlay and then cut those wood-parts out. Because there will be several coats of clear over it, I'm getting smooth end result with most realistic output. I assume that if cutting is done with needed precision, no touch ups etc. are needed.

Another thing, when playfield is curing, I'm afraid about warping. My plan is to make metal frame about the size of a playfield and clam it on to it If clamped from the corners (with reasonable force), there shouldn't be any marks on the clear or at least on the visible areas. Or is there any other, easier ways to achieve this "non-warping" end result?

#19 8 years ago

Just put the rails on the back of the playfield while it's curing.

#20 8 years ago

bigdaddy1: Looking sweet! Are the wooden parts original or overlay?

and btw, Jeff is great guy to deal with! He even did compensate high transportation fees with set of new drop targets!

#21 8 years ago

if you are going to cut out to expose the natural wood, make sure you sand the original image off completely everywhere. that way you don't have to worry about everything lining up. Just the inserts.

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy1:

A month ago I restored the playfield of a Bally Playboy pinball machine for a local customer using a different version for the overlay.
Robert

IMG_3674s.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

The colors on your overlay look more authentic. Hard to tell it is an overlay.

#23 8 years ago

except the White Should be Cream....

#24 8 years ago

Cream or white? White or cream?
See the picture of this used playfield that was partially sanded and post your opinions.
Thanks for looking!

Robert

original colors.jpgoriginal colors.jpg
#25 8 years ago
Quoted from Stu:

except the White Should be Cream....

Stu old buddy! I thought you had me on your "blocked" list?

Glad to see I made it back onto your preferred commenter list again!

lol

But as to the overlay, I think the colors on bigdaddy1's overlay look a little more accurate than the one Tensikka got. Maybe it's just the picture though.

As for CPR's Playboy playfield, it was very nice. I have a nice one in the box. It's a keeper. Will use it someday. I also purchased several plastics sets and am using one on my own machine that has an NOS clearcoated playfield.

What about the backglass though? Are there any plans to make some Playboy backglasses Stu? I imagine there would be some licensing issues but then there probably were with the rest of the stuff too.

#26 8 years ago

I wish Stu would divulge why Vector prices are going to rise soon . That's been bugging me . That playfield layout could be made into something really neat if he was hinting at a repurpose project.

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from megadeth2600:

I wish Stu would divulge why Vector prices are going to rise soon

Hmmmmmm.....why would that be???

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Hmmmmmm.....why would that be???

Well, if it's a repro Vector playfield set, I could see demand increasing I suppose. I don't have one yet (should say working one ... I only have pieces to build one minus a cabinet), but I'd definately buy a set. He seemed to make it sound like it was more than that though just by the tone (or maybe I wanted to think it was more than new playfields).

I always thought Vector could be repurposed into a retro Tron pinball machine. Someone else pointed it out on Pinside too. I would frigging love to see a retro, double backglass Tron pin complete with Bally sounds from the arcade games. Vector would be an outstanding table to use for that purpose. Replace the display in the center with an OLED kind of display for animations and change the Vector rules around a bit and you have a winner . Vector is a slick machine, but it could be a LOT more.

Of course, you need to license Tron ... that's why I know this isn't happening . I can't see Disney supporting something that would net them relatively little profit. It's nice to dream though.

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy1:

Cream or white? White or cream?
See the picture of this used playfield that was partially sanded and post your opinions.
Thanks for looking!
Robert

original colors.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

I think that needs an overlay. the white should be white, but looks cream because of the lacquer put on top of playfields. The lacquer gets a yellowish tint, giving the white a cream color.

#31 8 years ago

Nope.

Well, if it's a repro Vector playfield set, I could see demand increasing I suppose.

That's not it either.

I always thought Vector could be repurposed into a retro Tron pinball machine.

Yeah I wish I could too....Soon though, "maybe" in a couple weeks?

I wish Stu would divulge why Vector prices are going to rise soon

#32 8 years ago

I have a sample or proto playield. needs a couple inserts. $400.

#33 8 years ago

I have an unused Playboy overlay for sale if anyone needs it. Looks like the second one with the better matching colors. I can ship it with a stripped sanded playfield, but you would likely want to use your own pf as someone attacked this one with a belt sander and left a lot of ruts and divots in the wood.

#34 8 years ago

I can't wait to see what you're up to Stu. I think I'm in already .

#35 8 years ago

So I guess Stu isn't going to answer my question about the backglass? I must be back on his "ignore" list.

Oh well, all I know is I'm down to my last good Playboy backglass and they are getting very hard to find. The playfields aren't going to be much good without nice backglasses to go along with them.

Someone should make them and sell several thousand (it would be one of the biggest sellers due to the theme).

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-playboy-playfield-or-overlay-wanted and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.