(Topic ID: 128055)

Bally Playboy Pinball Club! Owners and Playboy Lovers Welcome!

By MrBellMan

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 495 posts
  • 90 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 70 days ago by kmart00
  • Topic is favorited by 41 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2350 (resized).jpeg
DB1052DD-13E5-4B1F-B85A-CC0FE3F5F854 (resized).jpeg
FE2218FD-4C52-4735-B08A-0CFFF4A94180 (resized).jpeg
620A9BDA-4654-4B4A-8B2C-26AC60A4F243 (resized).jpeg
A0E28C90-D2A4-4C1A-806F-D2CB37055FF4 (resized).jpeg
BCB15965-C3C8-4C93-A1DD-98586D1E2F8D (resized).jpeg
3E071B11-2CBA-4F32-BE43-30247F425E06 (resized).jpeg
32B6557A-8645-4AAC-AD1F-61BDA518EECC (resized).jpeg
A2D3B585-EF64-4255-98CA-EB3BE46593B0 (resized).jpeg
20220916_113343 (resized).jpg
Playboy3 (resized).jpg
Playboy2 (resized).jpg
Playboy1 (resized).JPG
received_628608415534701 (resized).jpeg
received_473740821297068 (resized).jpeg
received_743850470026248 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tomdrum.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#49 5 years ago

Has anyone gotten the new mirrored backglass from CPR to compare to the OE version?

#51 5 years ago
Quoted from Pin-up:

I have one, and I still left my original in the machine.

Is it the new mirrored version they sold only with the last run of playfields?

#54 5 years ago

So beatmaster & Lmjdad, you both bought new playfields from the 2019 run and got the new digitally printed mirrored back glass and then returned them? I'm not talking about the inaccurate silkscreened version that been for sale for years. The 2019 version was only available to playfield buyers.

#64 5 years ago
Quoted from Pin-up:

No, but I did purchase it within the last year or less, but it was purchased before the play fields were released.

I PM'd Kevin if the quality has improved in the backglass with digital printing because I thought the previous was poor. His response:

No offense at all... at the time, it was as good as anybody was going to muster, under silkscreening. But we knew it was off from original looking in the end, just barely acceptable. There were no original artwork films at PPS, and thus we had our own built off an NOS donor glass. Yes, the previous silkscreen version had all the typical oversaturation and deep contrast appearances when unlit. It was due to the gamma calculations the lab put in when making the films for the CMYK "dots" layers. Each to be screened down one at a time. It was a necessary evil, because the glass had to glow without looking washed out. So unlit areas suffered. We sold out of those many months ago.

The "new 2019 print" is a digital print (with screened mirror as before). The reason it's wayyyy better is because a) it's no longer at 73 lines per inch (146 dpi in digital terms), which is the feasible limit of dot size for openings in a screen, thus on our films from the lab. The new print is 900dpi, straight up. b) The digital glasses are multi-layered... meaning there is a front layer you see when you look at the glass, then another identical layer behind it, behind white. So when the glass is unlit, you see the NOS glass imagery, at color level/match... when the lights come on, the hidden layer is also illuminated in tandem, and the backglass glows at perfect saturation, without washing out. So it's the best of both worlds. It's how "real" movie posters are done, for example. There is a mirror image of the same poster, exactly positioned, on the backside of the poster. So when unlit on a wall, they look normal. When backlit in a theater lightbox, they glow without washing out, and don't look like a cheap backlit poster.

The ONLY thing I can critique about our Playboy glasses now, is that the NOS perfect specimen that Stu took years to find and have donated for the Cruze scanner, is slightly "soft" in focus. The factory ever-so-slightly misregistered the individual pigment layers. It's something Stu and I can recognise, but nothing I think the general public could identify. Not at 2 feet away or more, anyway. But again, this was "NOS perfect" that we were duplicating for repro It was a $600 glass we barely got the guy to loan us (he was scared shitless to ship it), but we talked him into it.

Screened mirror is only 92%, while real silver bath mirror (as on the originals) is 100%. So there is a slight difference there.

So does anyone have one of these?

#65 5 years ago
Quoted from Its_me_aj:

is there any other options for caps and drop targets besides classic arcades? I bought a set of each for the play boy restore that I have in the works and they were horrible!! almost as yellow as my originals!!

Ministry of Pinball sells nice bumper caps, I bought a set last year. However they are out of stock now.

#67 5 years ago
Quoted from DougZ3:

Well,I just received a playboy backglass from them about 2 weeks ago - but have not opened it yet - I guess I should do do that!
I am not sure if I will know if I have an old style or new style.. But I will report back!

If it looks all washed out, old style. Did you get it with a PF?

6 months later
3 months later
#99 4 years ago
Quoted from FiatsRUs:

Never mind. I found the decal at Classic Arcades.

It's awful, colors are off.

#100 4 years ago

Picked up my 2nd PB and located a backglass for it since the original was missing. I bought one that came out of a vandalized game in 1979 and was sitting in a box in climate controlled storage since. It's near mint. The other was an original that came with my 1st game. Side by side, the differences are obvious although hard to show in the pics. The one on left has pink film on the credit and match windows, never saw another like it. I assume someone added it. The mint one from storage is on the right. The teal bikini on right is a much darker green and overall colors are darker. Thought I share these.

DSCN5883 (resized).JPGDSCN5883 (resized).JPGDSCN5884 (resized).JPGDSCN5884 (resized).JPGDSCN5888 (resized).JPGDSCN5888 (resized).JPG
2 months later
#128 4 years ago

Has anyone gotten one of the newest CPR PF's that are digitally produced for Playboy?

1 month later
#138 3 years ago
Quoted from Flash71:

Hey Ryan. I’m the one you did the Playboy for. Really appreciate the time you put into the cab and head to make it look incredible.Tom(TomDrum) installed the new playfield and made her play and look absolutely smoking hot once again.It looks absolutely fantastic and plays like it just came right out of the box. Appreciate the hell out of you guys for making this happen for me.I know we’re I’m coming again if I need another resto or want to buy another pin from this era. You guys know your pins.Thanks!

Glad you're happy! Just go easy on the pink LED's!

2 months later
#175 3 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

Just send an email. My guess is they are done but going through the clear coat process now. If the photo is up there it is likely being worked.

Due too dimpling errors, I shipped CPR a game used PF to Mike @ CPR to help correct the issue. So the process is starting over now to produce a better product.

#176 3 years ago
Quoted from Dandelock:

What is the best way to prevent future wear? I'm going to keep a good waxing/ball replacement regiment but anything else?

Really depends on what your plans are for the game. A decent players condition game? If so do the magic eraser/alcohol clean up (plenty of threads on that) to get the ground in dirt out of the artwork. Done plenty and it will clean up a lot of that. Then a Novus 2 clean. Follow that up with several coats of high quality wax (again many threads on wax). Most of that wear in the arch area will come out with magic eraser. Min-wax natural stain gently applied ( I use a Q-tip) will blend in wear in the shooter lane and arch area worn spots.

4 weeks later
#192 3 years ago
Quoted from Clnilsen:

1) Starting a game, the lower left display starts to zero. The credits is a 40. Playing a game I can hear targets register, but no scoring.

So when you start a game with more than one player the bottom left stays at zero points when you play that player # and nothing scores? Or nothing scores on all players?

Quoted from Clnilsen:

2) When getting a ball into the grotto, the ball doesn't kick out. Turning on and off the game the grotto easily kicks the ball out, so it doesn't seem like a coil issue.

Does that coil fire during a self test? 3X push on the test button. If it does, check the switch contacts, most likely not making contact when a ball is sitting there.

Quoted from Clnilsen:

Also, does someone have a video of the attract mode on this? My playfield likes seem to be randomizing doing flashing, but doesn't seem very "attract-y"

Attract mode should show all the lights in the bonus area lighting from top to bottom, one at a time. Other lights go in order like the bonus X lights.

10 months later
#231 2 years ago
Quoted from Smac007:

Hey all, looking for some recommendations, I got a Bally playboy at an auction awhile back. They had it powered up, all that worked was most light bulbs. It’s not in horrible shape but was the home for some mice for some time. I’m a pinball rookie but am gonna attempt a full restore on it, it will be great to see it back in great working order. When powered up I get all seven test flashes on Main board but no sound or follow up. No displays, not much else. Ill post some photos, one of the main issues is on the solenoid board there is a complete burn through on the board by the relay. My question is if I have to replace that board should I just change them all out to alltek boards or just go one board at a time once I start putting it all back together?
[quoted image][quoted image]

Immediately cut that battery off the MPU. I always replace the rectifier board on the transformer, they are cheap and reliable. Looks like connector issues on the SDB. It should have the connectors replaced and repinned, parts are available from Great Plains Electronics. You'll need .100 and .156 pins and connectors. Everything you need to know is here:

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern

#234 2 years ago
Quoted from Smac007:

Thanks Tom, appreciate all the info. Do you see that burn through on the SDB between the connector and the relay, I haven’t pulled the board to see how much is damaged but that was why I believed I need to replace it. Thanks for your help.

Yes by the J2 connector. Above it is the flipper relay and the 1st 2 pins on that connector are for the flipper switches. Another choice if you want to replace the SDB is from Weebley:

https://nvram.weebly.com/bally-stern-sdb.html

10 months later
#352 1 year ago
Quoted from GPS:

I did not use a rotisserie and really in my opinion, at least on this game, didn’t feel that having one would have been that beneficial.

One benefit of a rotisserie on an early Bally SS PF swap is ease of tuning up the PF before installing it in the game. You mount the head backwards on the cabinet (weird I know). Then with the PF on the rotisserie you now have enough wire length to hook it up and power the game. this allows you to fine tune every switch. Being able to immediately flip the PF over after testing saves a lot of time raising and lowering the PF after it's been installed in a game. Mine can lower one end so I can set it at a 6 degree incline to mimic ball travel when installed.

4 months later
#415 1 year ago
Quoted from FantasticPinball:

More photos of the mysterious playfield. I am suspecting this playfield was touched up by someone very good at touch ups. I think the 2016 may be a water slide decal. Additional photos to show what I have here.

It was obviously heavily touched up by the pics, probably in 2016 as noted. Someone noted the year with the date. Nice PF for an OE PB, install and enjoy.

"It is clearcoated like an original."

They were not clearcoated when new.

#418 1 year ago
Quoted from FantasticPinball:

I disagree. The Bally Tuffcoat is still considered a clearcoat process. However, you are correct that this playfield was not clearcoated like an original.

According to a 2006 post on rec.games.pinball by Clay Harrell, "Tuff-coat was just Bally's name for acrylic lacquer."

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.games.pinball/c/UXeR_4bQ8w4/m/eXlfCBTjCw4J

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 199.95
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tomdrum.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-playboy-pinball-club-all-owners-and-playboy-lovers-welcome?tu=tomdrum and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.