(Topic ID: 128055)

Bally Playboy Pinball Club! Owners and Playboy Lovers Welcome!

By MrBellMan

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 495 posts
  • 90 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by kmart00
  • Topic is favorited by 41 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2350 (resized).jpeg
DB1052DD-13E5-4B1F-B85A-CC0FE3F5F854 (resized).jpeg
FE2218FD-4C52-4735-B08A-0CFFF4A94180 (resized).jpeg
620A9BDA-4654-4B4A-8B2C-26AC60A4F243 (resized).jpeg
A0E28C90-D2A4-4C1A-806F-D2CB37055FF4 (resized).jpeg
BCB15965-C3C8-4C93-A1DD-98586D1E2F8D (resized).jpeg
3E071B11-2CBA-4F32-BE43-30247F425E06 (resized).jpeg
32B6557A-8645-4AAC-AD1F-61BDA518EECC (resized).jpeg
A2D3B585-EF64-4255-98CA-EB3BE46593B0 (resized).jpeg
20220916_113343 (resized).jpg
Playboy3 (resized).jpg
Playboy2 (resized).jpg
Playboy1 (resized).JPG
received_628608415534701 (resized).jpeg
received_473740821297068 (resized).jpeg
received_743850470026248 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider quench.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#106 4 years ago
Quoted from Callaway:

Sound issues! I have some problems with the sound on my Playboy. When the ball is in the grotto for example, the last tone of the melody is missing.

Can you post an audio recording of the full melody showing the missing last tone?

#109 4 years ago
Quoted from Callaway:

How do i add audiofiles here?

Unfortunately you can't post them here. Try uploading to youtube or some other external web site, even as a MP3 if you have to.
BTW, the last tone (you say is missing) is the same frequency tone as the third last tone in that melody.

#112 4 years ago
Quoted from Callaway:

Here is a short video

Cheers, you're getting too many wrong tones - you have a logic problem.
Ok, check the easy thing first. Pull out the sound board and check the soldering on the J1 pin header. It sounds like you might have a bad connection on one of the sound select signals coming from the MPU board.

BTW have you reterminated any connectors on this game? Any battery corrosion at the MPU board?

#116 4 years ago
Quoted from Callaway:

Hi, I have new MPU, solenoid driver and lamp driver board from Alltek so that should be ok. Ok so resoldering J1 might be the first step. The guy who sold the game put new capacitors (5) on the soundcard as well.

Thanks for your help

I just tried it in simulation and can confirm your sound board is missing the sound select signal at pin 3 of the J1 connector. So it's either cracked soldering on that J1 pin header, a bad crimp terminal at pin 3 of that J1 connector or if you're unlucky, you have a faulty U1 or U2 chip on the sound board.

#118 4 years ago
Quoted from Callaway:

But bunny key #1 doesn't light up. but if i run a lamp test everything seems to work just fine....

My guesstimate is that someone wired the #1 bunny key lamp to the wrong location on the lamp driver board.
It comes from J1 pin 23 of the lamp driver board and is a white-brown wire.
NOTE, the connector pins at the lamp driver board are numbered upside down, so for example pin 1 is at the bottom of the connectors and counts upwards.

So check that the white-brown wire at lamp driver board is in position 23 of the J1 connector and also that the #1 key lamp under the playfield has a white-brown wire soldered to it.

#120 4 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

If the light works when the game s in attract mode then it must be the the physical switch or the wiring to the swich

Note, the video above is in attract mode and that #1 lamp isn't lighting so it's not a switch issue. The #1 lamp should come on straight after you see the red specials key light illuminate.
The fact that it works in lamp test mode says it's wired to the wrong spot at the lamp driver board.

#124 4 years ago
Quoted from Callaway:

Happy, it works!!!!

Great to hear!
Just for clarity:

LDB_J1a.jpgLDB_J1a.jpg

4 months later
#145 3 years ago
Quoted from Clnilsen:

Does anyone have good scans of the backbox instructions/lables / tables (not sure what they're called)?

Have a look at @inkochnito's backbox pinball cards for Playboy:
http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/Backbox_cards.htm

2 months later
#196 3 years ago
Quoted from Clnilsen:

on the leaf switch, there's a center layer, and there's a top and bottom layer (that are always in contact)

The shorter stiff centre leaf is there to hold the idle lower leaf position (the lower leaf should be tensioned against it) - the centre leaf isn't there for any electrical contact reason.
The purpose of that short centre leaf is replicated on other playfield switches.

4 weeks later
#207 3 years ago
Quoted from Dandelock:

but haven't isolated the ground. Please let me know if this works for you.

It's a known fix for the common hum these games have. Many people (me included) have done it on their Playboy, Kiss, and other machines with that sound board. You've got nothing to lose by trying it.

5 months later
#220 3 years ago
Quoted from flipit:

Anybody have ever purchase a backglass from E-bay seller eclispspinball out of Ausbury Park NJ?? How is the quality vs CPR latest run. thanks in advance,

That ebay backglass you refer to looks like a CPR latest run glass. The giveaways are the rounded corners on the glass and the thin mirroring around the Bally logo.
The mirroring on my factory backglass around the Bally logo looks like this one - like a 3D effect:
https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1823&picno=54723&zoom=1

8 months later
#245 2 years ago

Use a small flat head screwdriver to adjust the volume control potentiometer.

Playboy_SoundBoardM.jpgPlayboy_SoundBoardM.jpg

1 week later
#249 2 years ago
Quoted from cysnake:

One question, all of the machines ive seen have the rectifier board mounted to the side of the cab, mine is mounted on top of the transformer, and i seem to be missing the cage (last pic stolen from this thread for reference) does anyone have an extra?

Someone has obviously swapped in a transformer assembly from an earlier Bally.

2 months later
#295 2 years ago
Quoted from GPS:

Am I missing something here.

There's supposed to be a bushing on the screw side:
This is not the right one but it's something like this as an example. See the bushing picture two posts down.

With the screw on tight, the bar rotates freely on the bushing.

Ignore the brass washer seen in mine, it was just to reduce excessive slack.

IMG_0043.jpgIMG_0043.jpg

#297 2 years ago
Quoted from GPS:

I definitely don’t have that.

Sorry, excuse my bad memory. I took it off and it's a bushing plus washer (washer goes against the wood).

IMG_0010a.jpgIMG_0010a.jpg
IMG_0005a.jpgIMG_0005a.jpg
IMG_0002a.jpgIMG_0002a.jpg

#309 2 years ago
Quoted from Dakine747:

Quench What device are you using to get such amazing clarity in these close-up photos??

I have an old Canon IXUS digital camera (10X optical zoom). Those pictures were taken about 3 inches from the object in the dark with the flash - usually I much prefer to take photos outdoors in shaded daylight for maximum natural light on the object to get the best clarity.

#310 2 years ago
Quoted from GPS:

Also took a pic of the bar Toni sure I have the correct one but think I do.

Your lock bar looks correct to me. BTW make sure there's no junk sitting in the lower head channel where the glass sits that could be causing the glass to sit higher than it should.

IMG_0042a.jpgIMG_0042a.jpg
IMG_0031a.jpgIMG_0031a.jpg
IMG_0014a.jpgIMG_0014a.jpg
IMG_0012a.jpgIMG_0012a.jpg
IMG_0013a.jpgIMG_0013a.jpg

1 month later
#337 2 years ago
Quoted from GPS:

Just wanted others to weigh in with their thoughts. Understand why the caps are present. Just don’t quite get why If the circuit was designed with then there, the machine would work properly without.

You will quickly get frustrated by the playmate target switches not responding to fast hits. Install the 0.047uF capacitors, no question.

An operator cut the capacitors because they likely failed (common problem) - for them it's better to have the game playable and too bad about fast hits.

#345 2 years ago
Quoted from GPS:

I can clearly see where they have been cut off. I will get these in order.

On Playboy, switch matrix capacitors are required on the:
- five playmate standup targets
- three pop bumpers
- centre 5 key standup target
- star rollover in the extra ball/special arc
- tilt plumb-bob

1 month later
#367 1 year ago
Quoted from GPS:

Using the white versus another color is definitely a personal preference but I do believe that the base color was white originally.

Yes, my untouched Playboy cabinet is white first, then magenta then black.

1 week later
#383 1 year ago
Quoted from Thunfisch:

Did I already tell where I store the one that is currently not in use?

Got any more internal pictures showing what you did to the cabinet?

#390 1 year ago
Quoted from Thunfisch:

There are two changes I needed to make to get place for the spare playfield.

Thanks for sharing, clever indeed!

Quoted from gdonovan:

I need to make cabinet that holds 5 or 6 playfields.

I presume you are/going to build some kind of rack to store them?

#397 1 year ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Like when the ball trough eject is supposed to fire, instead the right slingshot fires.

Would I be correct in saying the right slingshot fires when the drop target reset coil is suppose to activate rather than the outhole coil since they happen at almost the same time at the start of a ball?

If yes, the other pop bumper error you mentioned points to a loss of solenoid select signal at the solenoid driver board on J4 pin 6 (blue-yellow wire). This wire is daisy chained from the sound board connector but the problem is more likely at the solenoid driver board since you moved the cabling.

4 months later
#444 1 year ago
Quoted from FLNetMAn62:

Drop target 1 (bottom 1 closest to flippers) doesn't drop if hit from side/edge either - only straight on works

This is the beauty of Bally drop targets. You need precise aiming to knock them down. They will make you a better player.

1 month later
#466 1 year ago
Quoted from electricsquirrel:

The kickout on the grotto is weak. sometimes it takes three or four tries before the ball comes out.

Also check that the ball is going straight up the grotto and not ricocheting from side to side causing loss of momentum.

5 months later
#469 1 year ago
Quoted from lepstein:

Is there an affordable option to replace these that doesn’t require me to solder together four entirely new displays. I saw the kits but a little daunting when we are marginal at soldering. I’m open to any suggestions. Thank you. Lee

Have you considered repairing them? A good chance it will cost pennies. Check the soldering on the connectors pin headers first, the solder joints commonly fracture/crack.

#472 1 year ago
Quoted from lepstein:

Unfortunately, two of the new score displays (upper right and lower left) still don’t work and only flash zeros or nothing at all.

With the machine off, disconnect the J2 and J3 connectors from the MPU board and the J4 connector from the lamp driver board. Power up. Does it exhibit the same display problem?

Can you post a picture of the original Bally MPU board - need to see if it suffered battery corrosion and how far the corrosion reached.

#475 1 year ago
Quoted from lepstein:

Sadly no change when followed above instructions. Same display issues.

Hmm, not much corrosion on the board, pity about the poor rework on the U10 socket replacement. The connectors to the MPU board likely didn't suffer any corrosion damage from the MPU battery. Still doesn't mean they're in perfect condition.

What happens when you swap the displays around? Does the issue follow the actual displays or stay at the display position?

#477 1 year ago
Quoted from lepstein:

Seems to stay at the display position.

With the machine on, what happens when you wiggle the J1 connector (top left) of the MPU board? Do displays 2 and 3 flicker with the correct info?

#481 1 year ago
Quoted from lepstein:

I’ll be darned. Wiggling J1 got two more of the displays working. Now only the top corner display not working right. Weak light there and sporadic. What dues this teach us? The mpu board is new altek

Sounds like there's a job ahead of you to re-terminate that J1 connector. Wiggling it told you there was a connectivity problem to be fixed.

#483 1 year ago
Quoted from lepstein:

Do you know if that J1 will be Molex 0.100 or molex 0.156 housing/crimp terminals?

All the connectors on the MPU board are 0.100" Molex. Re-use the original housings unless they're damaged, the longer ones are difficult to find.
The crimp terminals are held in the connector housing by a little retaining ramp. Use a small screwdriver to push each ramp down then pull the wire/crimp out of the housing. Here's an example video on YouTube:

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 199.95
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Macomb, MI
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Coffs Harbour, NS
Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Diego, CA
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 22.50
$ 69.00
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider quench.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-playboy-pinball-club-all-owners-and-playboy-lovers-welcome?tu=quench and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.