(Topic ID: 128055)

Bally Playboy Pinball Club! Owners and Playboy Lovers Welcome!

By MrBellMan

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 495 posts
  • 90 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by kmart00
  • Topic is favorited by 41 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2350 (resized).jpeg
DB1052DD-13E5-4B1F-B85A-CC0FE3F5F854 (resized).jpeg
FE2218FD-4C52-4735-B08A-0CFFF4A94180 (resized).jpeg
620A9BDA-4654-4B4A-8B2C-26AC60A4F243 (resized).jpeg
A0E28C90-D2A4-4C1A-806F-D2CB37055FF4 (resized).jpeg
BCB15965-C3C8-4C93-A1DD-98586D1E2F8D (resized).jpeg
3E071B11-2CBA-4F32-BE43-30247F425E06 (resized).jpeg
32B6557A-8645-4AAC-AD1F-61BDA518EECC (resized).jpeg
A2D3B585-EF64-4255-98CA-EB3BE46593B0 (resized).jpeg
20220916_113343 (resized).jpg
Playboy3 (resized).jpg
Playboy2 (resized).jpg
Playboy1 (resized).JPG
received_628608415534701 (resized).jpeg
received_473740821297068 (resized).jpeg
received_743850470026248 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballinreno.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#77 4 years ago

Didn't know there was a club!

Very happy to join.
It's one of my most favorite games.

I have 2 that I want to restore mint fresh.

Any help would be wrlcomed!

#78 4 years ago

If someone has a CPR playfield they aren't going to use please PM me.

I was on the list but got sick and didnt make the payment deadline and lost my place.

Boo hoo....lol !

PM me

1 week later
#80 4 years ago
Quoted from Macdaddy1974:

I have overlays that I would sell they look awesome pm if interested

Thanks!

I have an original in the crate playfield for one of my games.

I was hoping for a CPR one for the other.

I have used overlays in the past.

They are ok, I just want something better if I can get it.

#84 4 years ago
Quoted from tatman9999:

Few pics of playfield[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

What stencils did you use?

3 months later
#91 4 years ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

Anyone need a cabinet stencil set?

I do.
Is it fresh and still sticky?
Pinball pimp?

2 months later
#94 4 years ago
Quoted from dahlman:

Hi all!
Looking for a hires picture of the Bally Playboy backglass.
Any help appreciated.

A really good hi-res pic is hard to email.

2 weeks later
#102 4 years ago
Quoted from Clnilsen:

So just found out I am joining this club! My (awesome) wife is getting me a project Playboy for Christmas.
I haven’t seen it yet, but I know the bg is roasted and I need a new one. Any opinions on the Classic repo’s?
I’m sure I’ll have more questions - I know it boots, but past that no idea yet on it.

CPR backglass and plastics are really nice.

Trying to get a playfield takes a bit of time...

#105 4 years ago
Quoted from Callaway:

Sound issues! I have some problems with the sound on my Playboy. When the ball is in the grotto for example, the last tone of the melody is missing. The same when i start the game and when i launch a new game. Does someone know what it can be? I have new alltek mpu, lamp and solenoid board.

Get a capacitor kit from big daddy or marco.

Replace all 5 of the big caps on tbe sound board.

This is usually all it needs.

40 year old caps are dried out and stop working.

3 months later
#132 4 years ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

Has anyone gotten one of the newest CPR PF's that are digitally produced for Playboy?

Im in the market for one if someone doesn't need theirs.

#133 4 years ago
Quoted from Absolutebaldness:

Hey folks I am new to the club and just restored my machine, what is the correct playfield pitch?

6.5 degrees

2 weeks later
#135 4 years ago
Quoted from WeatherbyMAG:

Just finished cabinet resto for fellow Pinsider...... Another PB back to life. Definitely one of the most pretty pinball cabinets as far as Art/Colors go made in that era.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I could use one of those!

1 month later
#148 3 years ago
Quoted from Clnilsen:

For those of you who have refinished your cabinet, it looks like Rustoleum 2x magenta is the winner for the cabinet pink. However, it looks like it's only available in satin. Any ideas for a pink of the right color, that has gloss finish?
Thanks!

You want satin its better looking over all.

#150 3 years ago
Quoted from Clnilsen:

Did you do the black satin as well, or gloss? White I assume is gloss...

All satin

Its a good clean look.

Gloss is sometimes just too much.

It can take away from the game.

But really its just a matter of personal preference.

The original paint is not glossy.
More of a semi gloss or satin.

#152 3 years ago
Quoted from WeatherbyMAG:

The one pictured above that I restored is Semi Gloss White, Semi Gloss Black & then Satin Magenta. It really dries much closer to a semi gloss with a fairly heavy final coat. I've done two of them now & have a 3rd here for resto currently.... they look amazing with the magenta.
Everyone thinks that PB cab was more "pink" but thats just because they all faded very bad. Once you pull the side rails off, that Magenta is the closest color to original you will find in a spray can. If anything it is just SLIGHTLY darker than original.
If you wanna that ultra high gloss non original look to game, just clear coat it when done. Some people like the clear look, some don't. I think its OK on some games & overdone on others. I have cleared several games I have restored, but PB is not one I'd do in clear, unless the owner really really pushed for it. I think PB looks very "tasteful" in Semi gloss & not cleared.

where can I get stencils?

#154 3 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

Here is a photo of my repaint. The white is simi-gloss rustoleum that was put on with a gun. The black is gloss rattle can and the pink is magenta satin rattle can.
[quoted image]

Looks perfect!
Did you powder coat the legs?

1 week later
#158 3 years ago
Quoted from Clnilsen:

Freshly painted cabinet project this weekend for my wife and I!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Really nice!

1 month later
#183 3 years ago
Quoted from jj44114:

I think the flyer shows yellow

Bally playboy, red or black on white flipper bats
Manual specifies red.

#184 3 years ago
Quoted from Dandelock:

What is the stock flipper rubber color for this game? I've seen red and yellow. I ordered a rubber kit from Marco Specialities and it came with yellow, but it also came with a Bally Playboy sticker/barcode on the bag but a a Stern Playboy rubber instruction sheet inside the bag. Googling images it looks like a lot of both colors, maybe slightly more red.

You have the wrong kit. Unless you have a stern playboy. Then you have the wrong thread lol.

#186 3 years ago
Quoted from Dandelock:

Right thread, and yeah it looks like they mixed up the kit. I bought 2 kits which came in the same bag and ironically I followed the manual for my machine and at least had enough for one full replacement and it looks like two full replacements. Possible the Stern version has a similar enough rubber set except the flipper color. I'll just order a Bally Playboy kit from someone else when I have to change the rubbers and keep this weird kit as a spare.

Spare rubbers are a plus in my book. I always need them

10 months later
#233 2 years ago
Quoted from Smac007:

Hey all, looking for some recommendations, I got a Bally playboy at an auction awhile back. They had it powered up, all that worked was most light bulbs. It’s not in horrible shape but was the home for some mice for some time. I’m a pinball rookie but am gonna attempt a full restore on it, it will be great to see it back in great working order. When powered up I get all seven test flashes on Main board but no sound or follow up. No displays, not much else. Ill post some photos, one of the main issues is on the solenoid board there is a complete burn through on the board by the relay. My question is if I have to replace that board should I just change them all out to alltek boards or just go one board at a time once I start putting it all back together?
[quoted image][quoted image]

send the boards out for repair.

I dont like the Alltek boards they dont seem to play right for me.

Chris Hibler does an amazing job.

5 months later
1 month later
#261 2 years ago
Quoted from Clnilsen:

On the subject of playfield wear, I put in my drop targets, and looking at how the ball will ride, does it look like my drop targets are aligned relative to the hole? Is there some kind of Cliffy that should go here? Looking at this, it looks like the ball could also get caught in the slot with all the targets down?
Also, it looks like my drop targets are “low” but I checked the height relative to the original and they were pretty close.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

The drops sit a little high so that the ball wont rest on them and cause a ball hang.

2 weeks later
#288 2 years ago
Quoted from Clnilsen:

For those of you who have done a playfield swap, any idea on a Source for the nails that attach the right side stainless ball guide to the side rail? I don’t think a small truss screw would work; too thick?
Thanks!

HEP is using small button head hex wood screws in stainless. Hammering nails into powdercoated rails isnt advised etc.

Something like this, but I think #4 or #6 might work. You have to size them with the hole on the siderail.

They should work in all cases unless you just want the dents from the hammer.

ebay.com link: itm

Steve Young at pinball resource has the nails.

#291 2 years ago
Quoted from GPS:

For those that put LED’s under their playfields, what did you choose? Did you color match them to the inserts or just go warm or cool white on the underside?
Thinking of using yoppsicles on the bottom of the playfield. He makes a version that will work directly with an original Bally light board which is what I have. Seems a lot neater and cleaner than the socket and bulb way. Thoughts please fellas!!
Thank you
George

In most cases you have to change out all the sockets and add an LED board etc.

The Yoppsicles are an elegant approach for this game.

1 week later
#307 2 years ago
Quoted from Ptav:

Hello folks- how do you join the playboy club?

Your in, since you have a game!

#312 2 years ago
Quoted from GPS:

Ok. Went back down to make sure I was not being a dumb ass again. Looks like the way it is all in there is correct. The rod tips back to release the glass and forward to lock the glass in place (by minimizing how high the glass can be raised). Ok. All seems good now except that the lock will only rotate slightly, not enough to remove the key. Maybe I have the wrong lock? Could Steve be wrong??? If I could remove the key I think we would be good but I cannot rotate the lock enough to do that

Flip the lock plate/hasp over?

I had to do this on a Taxi recently...

#314 2 years ago
Quoted from GPS:

Ok guys. Got it. I was mistaken on how the mech works. I discovered that it either lays back towards the rear of the back box or that it is vertical in the front. This is when I figured out that the lock had to be in backwards as when it was in locked position I could not remove the key.
Wouldn’t have gotten this far this evening guys without you. Many thanks!!!
George

It happened to me lol.

#318 2 years ago
Quoted from Flash71:

<blockquote

It’s from the original flyer for the pin. I have one. Make me an offer.

I have 2 on my gameroom wall...lol

1 month later
#330 2 years ago
Quoted from Clnilsen:

Playfield swap testing in progress! Getting very close!
[quoted image][quoted image]

Where did you get the coil wrappers? They look great!

1 month later
#357 2 years ago
Quoted from GPS:

Hi Fellas
Ok removed the old MPU and put a new Alltek in. I now have startup tones and new XPin displays are working.
I have the Alltek board configured for free play. However when I depress the start button, new switch installed there, game does not start. Also, upon game powering up the knocker stays locked on. Did this before with the old original MPU and is still doing so with the new Alltek MPU.
Any guidance here would be most appreciated. Have EddiePi assisting with this game and am fortunate to have his expertise but in between low and when he is avail, was hoping to gain some additional direction to help narrow things down.
Thank you as always. Making headway!! Yippee

Knocker should be an easy fix.

Probably a bad driver transistor for the knocker.

Change out the driver and the pre-driver transistors at the same time.

transistor Q3, connector pins J2-5/J3-4

Check out the coil to see if its shorted, and replace the diode on it. Bad diodes can blow transistors.

2 months later
#405 1 year ago
Quoted from jbovenzi:

I'm out of touch. 2 years or so ago this would have been a $600 machine

Um, 20 years ago. You left off a zero...

1 month later
#420 1 year ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

That is a clear product that is on top of the art. Sounds like clearcoat to me. At least it was clear until it yellowed. Clearcoat is a generic term but most now recognize it as being automotive 2 part clear. With all the new products today you need to be more specific than "clearcoat".

I.E. yellowcoat...

2 weeks later
#437 1 year ago
Quoted from FLNetMAn62:

UPDATE:
special now works, extra ball still not working
found teh S33 reset button and now have the high score to date and the two scores (400 and 660K) set for replays
But...
i screwed something up and reset the credits (was showing 775515, reset to 0) and now cannot play game. S 17/18/19 turned ON - still shows 0 credits, no matter what i change 17/18/19 to.
Any thoughts on what to do/make this work...how to clear the memory? Someone said someone named Hibler may have worked on the MPU. I can always wait till Alltek board comes in.
Sigh

Go thru the manual and re-adjust all your settings one by one, or use a preset.

The settings section of the manual can be very informative.

If Chris Hibler worked on the board, it should be perfect. No worries there unless someone un-did his excellent work.

#439 1 year ago
Quoted from FLNetMAn62:

checked with chris - was not his work on the board. Dip switches 17/18/19 easy to find...they are all on. still shows 0 credits, even after machine turned on and off.
I have checked/double checked - extra ball lights up, touch the rollover for it, but SAME PLAYER SHOOT AGAIN does not light up, and next player shoots when ball drains. Figuring i am the dipstick who did not set it right, but can't figure out which one to switch.

Check the manual?
The switch settings are there for reference for the original board set.

Add credits?

#441 1 year ago
Quoted from FLNetMAn62:

Thank you...Please see above...I have set switches 17/18/19 as ON to add 40 credits. Still shows 0 . Same happens when I change 17 to off for 35 credits stop shows 0.
I have the original manuals that came with the machine, have read them, and verified the dip switches.
At this point thinking whoever modified the MPU poor in a custom ROM, and with our a ROM chip reader/writer I will have to wait till my Alltek boards get here.

Setting Max credits of 40 on an original board doesnt add 40 credits. It just sets the max you can put in.
Unless im confused about what you are doing.

Trip the coin chute switch wire to add credits

These old games dont have free play unless modified.

1 week later
#450 1 year ago
Quoted from FLNetMAn62:

thanks - now I just need to learn how to adjust that switch and spoon
Will see if there are any videos or guides that show hot do to that

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-rebuilding-pop-bumpers

#453 1 year ago
Quoted from FLNetMAn62:

saw it - the spoon is centered. The issue is the ball actually drop through the lane, but misses the skirt/bumper completely. I may replace the two posts to the left of Key 1 to see if that will help - really need to move those posts 1/6 - 1/8 inch to the right, or put something behind rubber to have it keep the ball to the right and hit the bumper.
Am I th eonly one with this issue in Key 1?

Wider posts are available, but I dont think you need them.

Adjust the level first.

Leveling a game is not necessarily making it level.

Its more like seeing how the game plays and making adjustments.

That is called dialing it in.

#456 1 year ago
Quoted from FLNetMAn62:

Maybe it's level left to right, andooking to the right may cause key 4 balls to miss it's bumper

Tip the game 0.2 degrees left or righ and see how it plays.

Make the pop bumpers as sensitive as you can without them activating if you pound the playfiled firmly with the flat of a hand. Same with sling switches.

Please adjust the pop bumpers with the power OFF!

A leaf switch adjusting tool is really good for this as well as all leaf switches:

https://www.pinballlife.com/ultimate-leaf-adjuster-tool.html

Generally I make horizontal adjusrments after looking at whether the ball drains more on one side or the other.

If it favors one side, I adjust the horizontal pitch until it evens out.

4 weeks later
#465 1 year ago
Quoted from electricsquirrel:

Need help with my Playboy!
The kickout on the grotto is weak. sometimes it takes three or four tries before the ball comes out.
Everything seems to be fine mechanically. I've gone over it several times.
where do I look next?
Thanks!
E

Pull it apart and clean and inspect it for wear.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Diego, CA
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 10.00
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

2,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Macomb, MI
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Coffs Harbour, NS
$ 22.50
Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballinreno.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-playboy-pinball-club-all-owners-and-playboy-lovers-welcome?tu=pinballinreno and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.