(Topic ID: 128055)

Bally Playboy Pinball Club! Owners and Playboy Lovers Welcome!

By MrBellMan

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 495 posts
  • 90 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by kmart00
  • Topic is favorited by 41 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2350 (resized).jpeg
DB1052DD-13E5-4B1F-B85A-CC0FE3F5F854 (resized).jpeg
FE2218FD-4C52-4735-B08A-0CFFF4A94180 (resized).jpeg
620A9BDA-4654-4B4A-8B2C-26AC60A4F243 (resized).jpeg
A0E28C90-D2A4-4C1A-806F-D2CB37055FF4 (resized).jpeg
BCB15965-C3C8-4C93-A1DD-98586D1E2F8D (resized).jpeg
3E071B11-2CBA-4F32-BE43-30247F425E06 (resized).jpeg
32B6557A-8645-4AAC-AD1F-61BDA518EECC (resized).jpeg
A2D3B585-EF64-4255-98CA-EB3BE46593B0 (resized).jpeg
20220916_113343 (resized).jpg
Playboy3 (resized).jpg
Playboy2 (resized).jpg
Playboy1 (resized).JPG
received_628608415534701 (resized).jpeg
received_473740821297068 (resized).jpeg
received_743850470026248 (resized).jpeg
There are 495 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 10.
#151 3 years ago

The one pictured above that I restored is Semi Gloss White, Semi Gloss Black & then Satin Magenta. It really dries much closer to a semi gloss with a fairly heavy final coat. I've done two of them now & have a 3rd here for resto currently.... they look amazing with the magenta.

Everyone thinks that PB cab was more "pink" but thats just because they all faded very bad. Once you pull the side rails off, that Magenta is the closest color to original you will find in a spray can. If anything it is just SLIGHTLY darker than original.

If you wanna that ultra high gloss non original look to game, just clear coat it when done. Some people like the clear look, some don't. I think its OK on some games & overdone on others. I have cleared several games I have restored, but PB is not one I'd do in clear, unless the owner really really pushed for it. I think PB looks very "tasteful" in Semi gloss & not cleared.

#152 3 years ago
Quoted from WeatherbyMAG:

The one pictured above that I restored is Semi Gloss White, Semi Gloss Black & then Satin Magenta. It really dries much closer to a semi gloss with a fairly heavy final coat. I've done two of them now & have a 3rd here for resto currently.... they look amazing with the magenta.
Everyone thinks that PB cab was more "pink" but thats just because they all faded very bad. Once you pull the side rails off, that Magenta is the closest color to original you will find in a spray can. If anything it is just SLIGHTLY darker than original.
If you wanna that ultra high gloss non original look to game, just clear coat it when done. Some people like the clear look, some don't. I think its OK on some games & overdone on others. I have cleared several games I have restored, but PB is not one I'd do in clear, unless the owner really really pushed for it. I think PB looks very "tasteful" in Semi gloss & not cleared.

where can I get stencils?

#153 3 years ago
Quoted from Clnilsen:

For those of you who have refinished your cabinet, it looks like Rustoleum 2x magenta is the winner for the cabinet pink. However, it looks like it's only available in satin. Any ideas for a pink of the right color, that has gloss finish?
Thanks!

Here is a photo of my repaint. The white is simi-gloss rustoleum that was put on with a gun. The black is gloss rattle can and the pink is magenta satin rattle can.

20190925_191444 (resized).jpg20190925_191444 (resized).jpg
#154 3 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

Here is a photo of my repaint. The white is simi-gloss rustoleum that was put on with a gun. The black is gloss rattle can and the pink is magenta satin rattle can.
[quoted image]

Looks perfect!
Did you powder coat the legs?

#155 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Looks perfect!
Did you powder coat the legs?

Yes, the legs are original Bally legs that were Power-coated satin black.

#156 3 years ago

Thought you folks might enjoy seeing this.
I don't own the 1978 game or any of the others, but it was really hard not to acquire this piece of pinball history quite a while ago when the stars aligned.

Here then is a very special 1st Edition of Pinball! by Roger Sharpe.
What's special about it? Read the pictures.
Note: contact information for Mr. Sharpe was redacted for photo.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg
#157 3 years ago

Freshly painted cabinet project this weekend for my wife and I!

IMG_1815 (resized).jpegIMG_1815 (resized).jpegIMG_1817 (resized).jpegIMG_1817 (resized).jpegIMG_1819 (resized).jpegIMG_1819 (resized).jpeg
#158 3 years ago
Quoted from Clnilsen:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Really nice!

#159 3 years ago
Quoted from Clnilsen:

That looks amazing, great job and enjoy your project.

#160 3 years ago

nothing like a nice freshly painted cabinet, nice job.

1 week later
#161 3 years ago

New to Pinside! My Dad used to fix coin-ops all around the Phoenix area in the early 80s, and was able to snag some equipment people no longer wanted. I used to stand on a milk crake and play our Playboy (along with a Williams Flash) all during my childhood. It was definitely a hit in the neighborhood growing up.

Anyway, he passed away in 2008 so I've been wanting to stand these up again. It's in decent shape but I plan on doing some basic restoration or at least deep cleaning. I plan on starting a thread for some advice once it's stood up. It has the original backglass and has no obvious flaws. My dad used to tell me the backglass in definitely the most fragile part and during his time working on coin-op there were instances where they would shatter for no obvious reason just walking them across the shop. Whenever I have to move the unit or remove it from the back box this is always the part I'm most paranoid about. Realistically, how fragile is the original backglass? Obviously i'm not going to mistreat it, but if I'm not being stupid are these things pretty solid? How often do these accidentally break during maintenance?

#162 3 years ago
Quoted from Dandelock:

New to Pinside! My Dad used to fix coin-ops all around the Phoenix area in the early 80s, and was able to snag some equipment people no longer wanted. I used to stand on a milk crake and play our Playboy (along with a Williams Flash) all during my childhood. It was definitely a hit in the neighborhood growing up.
Anyway, he passed away in 2008 so I've been wanting to stand these up again. It's in decent shape but I plan on doing some basic restoration or at least deep cleaning. I plan on starting a thread for some advice once it's stood up. It has the original backglass and has no obvious flaws. My dad used to tell me the backglass in definitely the most fragile part and during his time working on coin-op there were instances where they would shatter for no obvious reason just walking them across the shop. Whenever I have to move the unit or remove it from the back box this is always the part I'm most paranoid about. Realistically, how fragile is the original backglass? Obviously i'm not going to mistreat it, but if I'm not being stupid are these things pretty solid? How often do these accidentally break during maintenance?

Sounds like a fun project. Don’t worry about the backglass. They are pretty tough. Just make sure you don’t drop it or bang an edge or else game over. If your backglass edge trim is missing make sure you replace that. It helps protect the edge of the glass. The only other advice I can give you is to be mindful of the silkscreened side of the glass. It does scratch fairly easily.

#163 3 years ago

Super stupid question - which lock is a replacement for the back box lock ? I can’t get mine to fit the backglass lock bar

#164 3 years ago

Just finished My Playboy project with a new cab using solid maple trims and 3/4" bottom maple ply.

Bare Cabinet (resized).jpgBare Cabinet (resized).jpgInside Maple (resized).jpgInside Maple (resized).jpgSide by side (resized).jpgSide by side (resized).jpgFinished Product (resized).jpgFinished Product (resized).jpg
1 week later
#165 3 years ago

Im contemplating a Playboy with a planked playfield as my first Bally SS game. I did a back check and CPR last ran Playboy in January of 2019 with plans to run more in the future. Anyone here heard rumours as to when another batch is expected? This could be a good candidate for a first playfield swap for me. Not an over abundance of stuff to deal with compared to say a Whirlwind.

#166 3 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Im contemplating a Playboy with a planked playfield as my first Bally SS game. I did a back check and CPR last ran Playboy in January of 2019 with plans to run more in the future. Anyone here heard rumours as to when another batch is expected? This could be a good candidate for a first playfield swap for me. Not an over abundance of stuff to deal with compared to say a Whirlwind.

That one is available. They aren't silkscreening any more. It is all digital printing now. Just place the order and wait for it to show up.

#167 3 years ago

That one is available. They aren't silkscreening any more. It is all digital printing now. Just place the order and wait for it to show up.

Its says more on the way and has no option to add to cart

#168 3 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Its says more on the way and has no option to add to cart

Just send an email. My guess is they are done but going through the clear coat process now. If the photo is up there it is likely being worked.

#169 3 years ago

Anyone put in pink star posts? Im thinking pink posts with white rubbers would look good. If anyone has done clear posts with pink rubbers, id be curious to see what that looks like as well.

#170 3 years ago

Anyone have a source for molded drop targets?. I had to replace mine and am not happy with the quality.

#171 3 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Anyone put in pink star posts? Im thinking pink posts with white rubbers would look good. If anyone has done clear posts with pink rubbers, id be curious to see what that looks like as well.

Both sound like great ideas!

#172 3 years ago

Continuing work on my Playboy resto this weekend! Restored the Backbox insert light board, including using Vid's Epoxy trick for filling in the missing light blocks that were gone. The results probably could have been better - the epoxy did not cure well - but it's much better than it was. Getting close to moving down to the main cabinet!

IMG_2080 (resized).jpegIMG_2080 (resized).jpegIMG_2081 (resized).jpegIMG_2081 (resized).jpeg

#173 3 years ago

Is anybody using the alltek light board in their playboy? I intend to use LED's, and I'm not sure where to connect the wire that Alltek says needs connected to the backbox light board? Anyone have a suggestion?

1 week later
#174 3 years ago

Finally got the Playboy out of storage. Playfield is in great condition except a little wear around the inserts. The worst part by far is around the 5x light. There is quite a bit of ballswirl that I'm hoping to clean. Planning on cleaning and waxing it tonight. Looks like U11 on the sound board is bad so I'm ordering some replacement parts and a few caps. See this thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-playboy-some-sounds-are-quick . I just installed an anyPin as well.

What is the best way to prevent future wear? I'm going to keep a good waxing/ball replacement regiment but anything else? The playfield is in such good condition otherwise I feel like stripping, touch ups, and doing a full clear coat following vid1900's guide is a little overkill. If I can prevent more damage I think I'm satisfied with the condition. Honestly the cabinet is in worse condition than anything else.

20200629_135907.jpg20200629_135907.jpg20200629_135950.jpg20200629_135950.jpg
#175 3 years ago

Just send an email. My guess is they are done but going through the clear coat process now. If the photo is up there it is likely being worked.

Due too dimpling errors, I shipped CPR a game used PF to Mike @ CPR to help correct the issue. So the process is starting over now to produce a better product.

#176 3 years ago
Quoted from Dandelock:

What is the best way to prevent future wear? I'm going to keep a good waxing/ball replacement regiment but anything else?

Really depends on what your plans are for the game. A decent players condition game? If so do the magic eraser/alcohol clean up (plenty of threads on that) to get the ground in dirt out of the artwork. Done plenty and it will clean up a lot of that. Then a Novus 2 clean. Follow that up with several coats of high quality wax (again many threads on wax). Most of that wear in the arch area will come out with magic eraser. Min-wax natural stain gently applied ( I use a Q-tip) will blend in wear in the shooter lane and arch area worn spots.

#177 3 years ago

For those of you who repainted your cabinet with Rustoleum Satin Magenta, did you use the "American Accents" or the "Painters Touch". Doesn't look like there is any difference but I want to make sure.

#178 3 years ago
Quoted from davidw:

For those of you who repainted your cabinet with Rustoleum Satin Magenta, did you use the "American Accents" or the "Painters Touch". Doesn't look like there is any difference but I want to make sure.

I used painters touch. Worked awesome, and looks great!

#179 3 years ago
Quoted from Clnilsen:

I used painters touch. Worked awesome, and looks great!

Thanks, your cabinet came out great.

1 week later
#180 3 years ago

What is the stock flipper rubber color for this game? I've seen red and yellow. I ordered a rubber kit from Marco Specialities and it came with yellow, but it also came with a Bally Playboy sticker/barcode on the bag but a a Stern Playboy rubber instruction sheet inside the bag. Googling images it looks like a lot of both colors, maybe slightly more red.

#181 3 years ago
Quoted from Dandelock:

What is the stock flipper rubber color for this game? I've seen red and yellow. I ordered a rubber kit from Marco Specialities and it came with yellow, but it also came with a Bally Playboy sticker/barcode on the bag but a a Stern Playboy rubber instruction sheet inside the bag. Googling images it looks like a lot of both colors, maybe slightly more red.

Per the manual, p/n: R-406-3 red flipper rubber.

#182 3 years ago

I think the flyer shows yellow

#183 3 years ago
Quoted from jj44114:

I think the flyer shows yellow

Bally playboy, red or black on white flipper bats
Manual specifies red.

#184 3 years ago
Quoted from Dandelock:

You have the wrong kit. Unless you have a stern playboy. Then you have the wrong thread lol.

#185 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

You have the wrong kit. Unless you have a stern playboy. Then you have the wrong thread lol.

Right thread, and yeah it looks like they mixed up the kit. I bought 2 kits which came in the same bag and ironically I followed the manual for my machine and at least had enough for one full replacement and it looks like two full replacements. Possible the Stern version has a similar enough rubber set except the flipper color. I'll just order a Bally Playboy kit from someone else when I have to change the rubbers and keep this weird kit as a spare.

#186 3 years ago
Quoted from Dandelock:

Right thread, and yeah it looks like they mixed up the kit. I bought 2 kits which came in the same bag and ironically I followed the manual for my machine and at least had enough for one full replacement and it looks like two full replacements. Possible the Stern version has a similar enough rubber set except the flipper color. I'll just order a Bally Playboy kit from someone else when I have to change the rubbers and keep this weird kit as a spare.

Spare rubbers are a plus in my book. I always need them

#187 3 years ago

I'm in the early stages of building an alternate rule set and game modes for the Playboy powered by a lot of the work DickHamill did in this thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-the-m6800-in-a-stern-mpu100-with-an-arduino/page/3#post-5740886

He's already got alternative rules for Stern Stars now called Stern Stars 2020, and Bally Blackjack 2020. Basically you build an entirely new game ROM on an Arduino and you can pretty much do anything. I'm looking to make Bally Playboy 2020 and make it available.

The Playboy is pretty straightforward as it is. Collect keys, get mega points in the grotto, collect month targets, get extra ball, etc. I'm envisioning a lot more depth, similar to newer games. For example, emulating "lower and upper playfields" by loading and unloading game states. For example, say you get in the grotto. The grotto instead of plain 1k/2k/3k/4k/25k points while captured it clears the entire table, turns the bonus scoring in the bottom of the playfield into a countdown timer ticking down from 40 or 20 or something. Ejects the ball then until the timer runs out points would be multiplied by the number of keys you have at that time... Or something.

Admittedly I don't have much experience playing pinballs other than Bally Playboy and Williams Flash. What objectives or features would be cool for this game? Consider out of the box ideas like using one of the backboard displays to show some other data like a subscore or multiplier or something. Unlimited balls is possible, or sudden death where you have to avoid the pop bumpers or keys or something. I'm planning on taking a close look at the playfield and drafting some new rules in the next few days.

#188 3 years ago

Thinking more about alternate rule sets the drop targets pose a real problem for moving between game states. You can't "set" drop targets, only reset them all to "up". The obvious solution is to make the drop targets a trigger for one of those phase changes. Hit all 5 drop targets as the goal (or part of a goal), reset into a new mini-game mode, then when the mini-game ends, reset the drop targets when you resume the outer/main game.

Here's another interesting example: Getting all 5 drop targets starts a 39sec countdown for invincible mode where draining the ball automatically kicks it back to the shooter lane without losing a ball and pauses the timer until one of the top keys is hit again. If you can get all the months before 39sec is up you are rewarded with the satisfying drop target reset sound and get an extra ball which when played is double points. You could turn the other switches into time extenders so if you're down to 10sec, hit it into the pop bumpers and each pop bumper gives you like 2sec back. Could make for some really fun intense moments where you're down to the clock, shoot it into the bumpers, then you get lucky with a real good flurry of bumpers, see your bottom bonus timer quickly fill and are back to up to 30sec+.

I really like the idea of using the 1-10,20 numbers on the bottom as a timer mechanism with some objective during that time. Month target seems like a good accessible goal which doesn't slow down the game a lot like the top keys can. Maybe something else during that time like hit the center #5 Key target and it starts collecting the other keys. So one strategy could be the normal way of getting the keys, or getting all the drop targets and hitting the #5 Key two times (because you've probably already collected 2-3 keys).

#189 3 years ago

Ok. So i bought the thing with quarters in the Slep Student Union at the Altoona campus of Penn State in the late 70's. It was one of three pins there, and the only one worth playing. It was there the entire two years i was there. Fast forward to 1986 when i visited a coin-op dealer and found the used machine and purchased it for $200.00. Played it for YEARS till the boards started "acting up." For Father's Day this year i got the Alltek package and installed same. The fever has started again....

#190 3 years ago
Quoted from Playboy_Chap:

Ok. So i bought the thing with quarters in the Slep Student Union at the Altoona campus of Penn State in the late 70's. It was one of three pins there, and the only one worth playing. It was there the entire two years i was there. Fast forward to 1986 when i visited a coin-op dealer and found the used machine and purchased it for $200.00. Played it for YEARS till the boards started "acting up." For Father's Day this year i got the Alltek package and installed same. The fever has started again....

How's the playfield? Mine came out of the Arizona State University game room. Playfield and back glass are great, but the cabinet is pretty worn. I wonder if the issue is those games don't get much play due to broke college kids? Maybe yours has had a different experience...

2 weeks later
#191 3 years ago

Just got my Playboy project up and running for the first time tonight! I'm very jazzed right now - It boots up, register's a coin, and starts a game. Couple things that seem odd though could use some help on

1) Starting a game, the lower left display starts to zero. The credits is a 40. Playing a game I can hear targets register, but no scoring.

and...

2) When getting a ball into the grotto, the ball doesn't kick out. Turning on and off the game the grotto easily kicks the ball out, so it doesn't seem like a coil issue.

Also, does someone have a video of the attract mode on this? My playfield likes seem to be randomizing doing flashing, but doesn't seem very "attract-y"

THANKS!!! I'm very excited to get this project close to functional again.

#192 3 years ago
Quoted from Clnilsen:

1) Starting a game, the lower left display starts to zero. The credits is a 40. Playing a game I can hear targets register, but no scoring.

So when you start a game with more than one player the bottom left stays at zero points when you play that player # and nothing scores? Or nothing scores on all players?

Quoted from Clnilsen:

2) When getting a ball into the grotto, the ball doesn't kick out. Turning on and off the game the grotto easily kicks the ball out, so it doesn't seem like a coil issue.

Does that coil fire during a self test? 3X push on the test button. If it does, check the switch contacts, most likely not making contact when a ball is sitting there.

Quoted from Clnilsen:

Also, does someone have a video of the attract mode on this? My playfield likes seem to be randomizing doing flashing, but doesn't seem very "attract-y"

Attract mode should show all the lights in the bonus area lighting from top to bottom, one at a time. Other lights go in order like the bonus X lights.

#193 3 years ago
Quoted from Clnilsen:

Also, does someone have a video of the attract mode on this?

Uploaded just for you:

#194 3 years ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

So when you start a game with more than one player the bottom left stays at zero points when you play that player # and nothing scores? Or nothing scores on all players?

Does that coil fire during a self test? 3X push on the test button. If it does, check the switch contacts, most likely not making contact when a ball is sitting there.

Attract mode should show all the lights in the bonus area lighting from top to bottom, one at a time. Other lights go in order like the bonus X lights.

Looks like rom might be bad. After starting up again the Mpu self test doesn’t complete. Getting new ROMs and see if that helps.

#195 3 years ago

Hopefully simple grotto switch question - on the leaf switch, there's a center layer, and there's a top and bottom layer (that are always in contact)

When no ball in the grotto, the bottom of the leaf is touching the center later. When the ball is in the grotto, only the tips of the top and bottom layers of the lease switch are touching.

Does that sound "normal" or when the ball is in the grotto should the center layer be touching one of the other leafs?

#196 3 years ago
Quoted from Clnilsen:

on the leaf switch, there's a center layer, and there's a top and bottom layer (that are always in contact)

The shorter stiff centre leaf is there to hold the idle lower leaf position (the lower leaf should be tensioned against it) - the centre leaf isn't there for any electrical contact reason.
The purpose of that short centre leaf is replicated on other playfield switches.

#197 3 years ago

I just got some of the short lane dividers with the Bally logo on them for my Bally Playboy. I had replaced them with some plain generic ones, but will install these soon for more of a "factory" look. Planetary pinball has them in white and red. Got some red ones too for my Strikes and Spares, Mata Hari and Fireball II. I haven't seen these available for a long time.

#198 3 years ago

Game rules question - when should the drop targets reset? Mine all drop fine, and when a game starts if they are down they reset, but I’m not sure when they should be resetting.

Thanks!

#199 3 years ago
Quoted from Clnilsen:

Game rules question - when should the drop targets reset? Mine all drop fine, and when a game starts if they are down they reset, but I’m not sure when they should be resetting.
Thanks!

Drop targets reset:
- On machine power on
- At the start of every ball
- When all drop targets have dropped
- During solenoid test mode

To my knowledge there are no settings/switches that adjust drop target reset frequency.

#200 3 years ago
Quoted from pinkid:

I just got some of the short lane dividers with the Bally logo on them for my Bally Playboy. I had replaced them with some plain generic ones, but will install these soon for more of a "factory" look. Planetary pinball has them in white and red. Got some red ones too for my Strikes and Spares, Mata Hari and Fireball II. I haven't seen these available for a long time.

Thanks for the heads-up. Those have been out of stock for a long time now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Coffs Harbour, NS
$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
2,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Macomb, MI
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Diego, CA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 495 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-playboy-pinball-club-all-owners-and-playboy-lovers-welcome/page/4?hl=electronmagic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.