(Topic ID: 128055)

Bally Playboy Pinball Club! Owners and Playboy Lovers Welcome!

By MrBellMan

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 495 posts
  • 90 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by kmart00
  • Topic is favorited by 41 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2350 (resized).jpeg
DB1052DD-13E5-4B1F-B85A-CC0FE3F5F854 (resized).jpeg
FE2218FD-4C52-4735-B08A-0CFFF4A94180 (resized).jpeg
620A9BDA-4654-4B4A-8B2C-26AC60A4F243 (resized).jpeg
A0E28C90-D2A4-4C1A-806F-D2CB37055FF4 (resized).jpeg
BCB15965-C3C8-4C93-A1DD-98586D1E2F8D (resized).jpeg
3E071B11-2CBA-4F32-BE43-30247F425E06 (resized).jpeg
32B6557A-8645-4AAC-AD1F-61BDA518EECC (resized).jpeg
A2D3B585-EF64-4255-98CA-EB3BE46593B0 (resized).jpeg
20220916_113343 (resized).jpg
Playboy3 (resized).jpg
Playboy2 (resized).jpg
Playboy1 (resized).JPG
received_628608415534701 (resized).jpeg
received_473740821297068 (resized).jpeg
received_743850470026248 (resized).jpeg
There are 495 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 10.
#101 4 years ago

So just found out I am joining this club! My (awesome) wife is getting me a project Playboy for Christmas.

I haven’t seen it yet, but I know the bg is roasted and I need a new one. Any opinions on the Classic repo’s?

I’m sure I’ll have more questions - I know it boots, but past that no idea yet on it.

#102 4 years ago
Quoted from Clnilsen:

So just found out I am joining this club! My (awesome) wife is getting me a project Playboy for Christmas.
I haven’t seen it yet, but I know the bg is roasted and I need a new one. Any opinions on the Classic repo’s?
I’m sure I’ll have more questions - I know it boots, but past that no idea yet on it.

CPR backglass and plastics are really nice.

Trying to get a playfield takes a bit of time...

#103 4 years ago

Sound issues! I have some problems with the sound on my Playboy. When the ball is in the grotto for example, the last tone of the melody is missing. The same when i start the game and when i launch a new game. Does someone know what it can be? I have new alltek mpu, lamp and solenoid board.

#104 4 years ago

Reseat ROM’s and connectors on sound board, worked for us

Btw I notice that you are Swedish, could you share a good picture of your backglass? Missing the backglass completely and we need to make a print while we are searching for a used one. (Can’t justify the investment of a brand new on this one)

#105 4 years ago
Quoted from Callaway:

Sound issues! I have some problems with the sound on my Playboy. When the ball is in the grotto for example, the last tone of the melody is missing. The same when i start the game and when i launch a new game. Does someone know what it can be? I have new alltek mpu, lamp and solenoid board.

Get a capacitor kit from big daddy or marco.

Replace all 5 of the big caps on tbe sound board.

This is usually all it needs.

40 year old caps are dried out and stop working.

#106 4 years ago
Quoted from Callaway:

Sound issues! I have some problems with the sound on my Playboy. When the ball is in the grotto for example, the last tone of the melody is missing.

Can you post an audio recording of the full melody showing the missing last tone?

#107 4 years ago

This Playboy was advertised on CL back in 2014 for 1800, then 1600, then 1300, then it disappeared for a while. Then it popped up again a month or two later with the following pictures and a "make offer" price. Someone had ripped the backbox right off of the main cabinet, and taken the neck and the back of the cabinet with it. The backglass was in really nice shape so I gave them 75 for the whole machine, kept the backbox to display the backglass, and had to toss the destroyed cab after stripping all the parts off of it. A sad end.

playboy 1 (resized).jpgplayboy 1 (resized).jpgplayboy 2 (resized).jpgplayboy 2 (resized).jpg
#108 4 years ago

How do i add audiofiles here?

#109 4 years ago
Quoted from Callaway:

How do i add audiofiles here?

Unfortunately you can't post them here. Try uploading to youtube or some other external web site, even as a MP3 if you have to.
BTW, the last tone (you say is missing) is the same frequency tone as the third last tone in that melody.

#110 4 years ago

Even more strange......?

#111 4 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Unfortunately you can't post them here. Try uploading to youtube or some other external web site, even as a MP3 if you have to.
BTW, the last tone (you say is missing) is the same frequency tone as the third last tone in that melody.

Here is a short video

#112 4 years ago
Quoted from Callaway:

Here is a short video

Cheers, you're getting too many wrong tones - you have a logic problem.
Ok, check the easy thing first. Pull out the sound board and check the soldering on the J1 pin header. It sounds like you might have a bad connection on one of the sound select signals coming from the MPU board.

BTW have you reterminated any connectors on this game? Any battery corrosion at the MPU board?

#113 4 years ago

So, I did indeed get to join the Playboy club this Christmas! My wonderful wife has found me a project Playboy to work on my next machine.

It's VERY rough - in fact I'll need a new cabinet. It's 100% rotted. I assume there's a wide variety of possible donor machines, but any other ideas on possible replacement sources?

#114 4 years ago

How did I miss this club? Hey I'm in. Bought mine for $50. ten years ago without a backglass. Finally got a nice backglass a few years ago. Game is in storage with my other classic bally pins. Will be a couple more years before I can get them out.

#115 4 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Cheers, you're getting too many wrong tones - you have a logic problem.
Ok, check the easy thing first. Pull out the sound board and check the soldering on the J1 pin header. It sounds like you might have a bad connection on one of the sound select signals coming from the MPU board.
BTW have you reterminated any connectors on this game? Any battery corrosion at the MPU board?

Hi, I have new MPU, solenoid driver and lamp driver board from Alltek so that should be ok. Ok so resoldering J1 might be the first step. The guy who sold the game put new capacitors (5) on the soundcard as well.

Thanks for your help

#116 4 years ago
Quoted from Callaway:

Hi, I have new MPU, solenoid driver and lamp driver board from Alltek so that should be ok. Ok so resoldering J1 might be the first step. The guy who sold the game put new capacitors (5) on the soundcard as well.

Thanks for your help

I just tried it in simulation and can confirm your sound board is missing the sound select signal at pin 3 of the J1 connector. So it's either cracked soldering on that J1 pin header, a bad crimp terminal at pin 3 of that J1 connector or if you're unlucky, you have a faulty U1 or U2 chip on the sound board.

#117 4 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

I just tried it in simulation and can confirm your sound board is missing the sound select signal at pin 3 of the J1 connector. So it's either cracked soldering on that J1 pin header, a bad crimp terminal at pin 3 of that J1 connector or if you're unlucky, you have a faulty U1 or U2 chip on the sound board.

Thanks "Quench"! Problem solved I changed the sound card to another one and problem dissapered.
Now i only have one Strange thing to solve.... then the game is perfect!

As you know i have 3 new Alltek cards in the game. But bunny key #1 doesn't light up. but if i run a lamp test everything seems to work just fine....
Any suggestions? BTW thanks for your support.

#118 4 years ago
Quoted from Callaway:

But bunny key #1 doesn't light up. but if i run a lamp test everything seems to work just fine....

My guesstimate is that someone wired the #1 bunny key lamp to the wrong location on the lamp driver board.
It comes from J1 pin 23 of the lamp driver board and is a white-brown wire.
NOTE, the connector pins at the lamp driver board are numbered upside down, so for example pin 1 is at the bottom of the connectors and counts upwards.

So check that the white-brown wire at lamp driver board is in position 23 of the J1 connector and also that the #1 key lamp under the playfield has a white-brown wire soldered to it.

#119 4 years ago
Quoted from Callaway:

Thanks "Quench"! Problem solved I changed the sound card to another one and problem dissapered.
Now i only have one Strange thing to solve.... then the game is perfect!
As you know i have 3 new Alltek cards in the game. But bunny key #1 doesn't light up. but if i run a lamp test everything seems to work just fine....
Any suggestions? BTW thanks for your support.

This sounds easy. It is most likely the switch for the key that is the problem. If the light works when the game s in attract mode then it must be the the physical switch or the wiring to the swich. Check that out. There should also be a swich test on your board. I always just start a game with the glass off and and hit all the switches manually to see what works. You might have a stuck switch elsewhere messing you up.

#120 4 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

If the light works when the game s in attract mode then it must be the the physical switch or the wiring to the swich

Note, the video above is in attract mode and that #1 lamp isn't lighting so it's not a switch issue. The #1 lamp should come on straight after you see the red specials key light illuminate.
The fact that it works in lamp test mode says it's wired to the wrong spot at the lamp driver board.

#121 4 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

The video above is in attract mode and that #1 lamp isn't lighting so it's not a switch issue. The #1 lamp should come on straight after you see the red specials key light illuminate.
The fact that it works in lamp test mode says it's wired to the wrong spot at the lamp driver board.

You guys are awesome, just saying. Its cable #2 from the top. I am new on this so maybe you can say if this is the problem......

Cable (resized).jpgCable (resized).jpg
#122 4 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

My guesstimate is that someone wired the #1 bunny key lamp to the wrong location on the lamp driver board.
It comes from J1 pin 23 of the lamp driver board and is a white-brown wire.
NOTE, the connector pins at the lamp driver board are numbered upside down, so for example pin 1 is at the bottom of the connectors and counts upwards.
So check that the white-brown wire at lamp driver board is in position 23 of the J1 connector and also that the #1 key lamp under the playfield has a white-brown wire soldered to it.

Didnt se this answer, shall i count the Space/stear spot as one? So it is Q1 or Q8?

image0 (resized).jpegimage0 (resized).jpeg
#123 4 years ago

Happy, it works!!!!
KARMA to you Quench!
You made my day!

Merry Christmas to you all!

#124 4 years ago
Quoted from Callaway:

Happy, it works!!!!

Great to hear!
Just for clarity:

LDB_J1a.jpgLDB_J1a.jpg

#125 4 years ago

Color codes Playboy. Does anyone have the RAL Codes for the cabinet. White and purple/pink. Doing som touch up

1 week later
#126 4 years ago

I'm jut starting on my Playboy project, and as mentioned previously my Cabinet is shot. While I am still working sourcing a Bally cabinet to swap it with, I have a someone suggesting a Early Stern SS cabinet (Memory Lane) as a possible replacement. Is that viable as an alternative? I don't have measurements yet so I'm not sure if the dimensions are even close to the same, and it's hard telling from the IPDB pics.

2 weeks later
#127 4 years ago

Fixed issue

1 month later
#128 4 years ago

Has anyone gotten one of the newest CPR PF's that are digitally produced for Playboy?

#129 4 years ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

Has anyone gotten one of the newest CPR PF's that are digitally produced for Playboy?

I have. Looks great! Its not populated yet so I cant speak to the dimple resistance etc.

#130 4 years ago

I have. Looks great! Its not populated yet so I cant speak to the dimple resistance etc.

FJIMG_20191207_120356 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20191207_120356 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20191207_120406 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20191207_120406 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20191207_120410 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20191207_120410 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20191207_120426 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20191207_120426 (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#131 4 years ago

Hey folks I am new to the club and just restored my machine, what is the correct playfield pitch?

#132 4 years ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

Im in the market for one if someone doesn't need theirs.

#133 4 years ago
Quoted from Absolutebaldness:

Hey folks I am new to the club and just restored my machine, what is the correct playfield pitch?

6.5 degrees

2 weeks later
#134 4 years ago

Just finished cabinet resto for fellow Pinsider...... Another PB back to life. Definitely one of the most pretty pinball cabinets as far as Art/Colors go made in that era.

IMG_20200219_204144 (resized).jpgIMG_20200219_204144 (resized).jpgIMG_20200316_163945 (resized).jpgIMG_20200316_163945 (resized).jpgIMG_20200329_140930 (resized).jpgIMG_20200329_140930 (resized).jpgIMG_20200330_114855 (resized).jpgIMG_20200330_114855 (resized).jpgIMG_20200330_114908 (resized).jpgIMG_20200330_114908 (resized).jpg
#135 4 years ago
Quoted from WeatherbyMAG:

Just finished cabinet resto for fellow Pinsider...... Another PB back to life. Definitely one of the most pretty pinball cabinets as far as Art/Colors go made in that era.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I could use one of those!

#136 4 years ago

Definitely one of the most pretty pinball cabinets as far as Art/Colors go made in that era.

Agreed, and you have done great work on the cabinet resto.

#137 4 years ago

Just finished cabinet resto for fellow Pinsider...... Another PB back to life. Definitely one of the most pretty pinball cabinets as far as Art/Colors go made in that era.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Hey Ryan. I’m the one you did the Playboy for. Really appreciate the time you put into the cab and head to make it look incredible.Tom(TomDrum) installed the new playfield and made her play and look absolutely smoking hot once again.It looks absolutely fantastic and plays like it just came right out of the box. Appreciate the hell out of you guys for making this happen for me.I know we’re I’m coming again if I need another resto or want to buy another pin from this era. You guys know your pins.Thanks!

2CB11885-CC53-4595-AD5D-F0DF6B8862C6 (resized).jpeg2CB11885-CC53-4595-AD5D-F0DF6B8862C6 (resized).jpeg4A72EA98-8342-4AD3-B053-F309A5D20061 (resized).jpeg4A72EA98-8342-4AD3-B053-F309A5D20061 (resized).jpeg4FF014C8-58CF-4760-BAB4-5E6FB6740AD2 (resized).jpeg4FF014C8-58CF-4760-BAB4-5E6FB6740AD2 (resized).jpegE24C1D6B-3B2C-42BF-AC97-E6F55F1BA5C2 (resized).jpegE24C1D6B-3B2C-42BF-AC97-E6F55F1BA5C2 (resized).jpegF627BBA1-77F1-4416-9F20-BE69BA013D3B (resized).jpegF627BBA1-77F1-4416-9F20-BE69BA013D3B (resized).jpeg
#138 4 years ago
Quoted from Flash71:

Hey Ryan. I’m the one you did the Playboy for. Really appreciate the time you put into the cab and head to make it look incredible.Tom(TomDrum) installed the new playfield and made her play and look absolutely smoking hot once again.It looks absolutely fantastic and plays like it just came right out of the box. Appreciate the hell out of you guys for making this happen for me.I know we’re I’m coming again if I need another resto or want to buy another pin from this era. You guys know your pins.Thanks!

Glad you're happy! Just go easy on the pink LED's!

#139 4 years ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

Glad you're happy! Just go easy on the pink LED's!

Bahaha!! I’ll keep it classy! Thanks again for everything.

#140 4 years ago

Flash71 - looks good!

#141 4 years ago
Quoted from Skidave:

Flash71 - looks good!

Thanks man! Been playing it all day.

#142 4 years ago

Glad you are happy with it...... It did turn out quite nice, I had a ton of time in that cabinet. I bought Tom's other PB project machine, so I'll be doing a 3rd PB.... practice makes perfect.

#143 4 years ago

Glad you are happy with it...... It did turn out quite nice, I had a ton of time in that cabinet. I bought Tom's other PB project machine, so I'll be doing a 3rd PB.... practice makes perfect.

Right on! Update as your doing it. Love the transition process. Thanks again.

3 weeks later
#144 3 years ago

Does anyone have good scans of the backbox instructions/lables / tables (not sure what they're called)?

#145 3 years ago
Quoted from Clnilsen:

Does anyone have good scans of the backbox instructions/lables / tables (not sure what they're called)?

Have a look at @inkochnito's backbox pinball cards for Playboy:
http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/Backbox_cards.htm

#146 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Have a look at inkochnito's backbox pinball cards for Playboy:
http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/Backbox_cards.htm

Thanks!!!

#147 3 years ago

For those of you who have refinished your cabinet, it looks like Rustoleum 2x magenta is the winner for the cabinet pink. However, it looks like it's only available in satin. Any ideas for a pink of the right color, that has gloss finish?

Thanks!

#148 3 years ago
Quoted from Clnilsen:

For those of you who have refinished your cabinet, it looks like Rustoleum 2x magenta is the winner for the cabinet pink. However, it looks like it's only available in satin. Any ideas for a pink of the right color, that has gloss finish?
Thanks!

You want satin its better looking over all.

#149 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

You want satin its better looking over all.

Did you do the black satin as well, or gloss? White I assume is gloss...

#150 3 years ago
Quoted from Clnilsen:

Did you do the black satin as well, or gloss? White I assume is gloss...

All satin

Its a good clean look.

Gloss is sometimes just too much.

It can take away from the game.

But really its just a matter of personal preference.

The original paint is not glossy.
More of a semi gloss or satin.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 199.95
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Coffs Harbour, NS
2,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Macomb, MI
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Diego, CA
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
$ 22.50
There are 495 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-playboy-pinball-club-all-owners-and-playboy-lovers-welcome/page/3?hl=quench and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.