(Topic ID: 128055)

Bally Playboy Pinball Club! Owners and Playboy Lovers Welcome!

By MrBellMan

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 495 posts
  • 90 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 71 days ago by kmart00
  • Topic is favorited by 41 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2350 (resized).jpeg
DB1052DD-13E5-4B1F-B85A-CC0FE3F5F854 (resized).jpeg
FE2218FD-4C52-4735-B08A-0CFFF4A94180 (resized).jpeg
620A9BDA-4654-4B4A-8B2C-26AC60A4F243 (resized).jpeg
A0E28C90-D2A4-4C1A-806F-D2CB37055FF4 (resized).jpeg
BCB15965-C3C8-4C93-A1DD-98586D1E2F8D (resized).jpeg
3E071B11-2CBA-4F32-BE43-30247F425E06 (resized).jpeg
32B6557A-8645-4AAC-AD1F-61BDA518EECC (resized).jpeg
A2D3B585-EF64-4255-98CA-EB3BE46593B0 (resized).jpeg
20220916_113343 (resized).jpg
Playboy3 (resized).jpg
Playboy2 (resized).jpg
Playboy1 (resized).JPG
received_628608415534701 (resized).jpeg
received_473740821297068 (resized).jpeg
received_743850470026248 (resized).jpeg

There are 495 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 10.
#1 8 years ago

I didn't see a Playboy club had already been started. So, here it is!

Let's discuss restorations, mods, items needed/wanted (using the market too of course) and show off your games!

I have always wanted a Bally Playboy, but I always seem to find the ones that are already restored that want top dollar. Well, I was able to find a decant game last night local to me to add to my Classic Bally addiction! The cabinet is faded and rough, but the backglass and playfield are above average.

This is the only picture I have for now, but will post more as I get into the game and fix her up!

Long live Hugh!

Rob Bell
Robsgameroom.com

IMG_3811.jpgIMG_3811.jpg

#2 8 years ago

Bump for the evening crowd... Come on folks, show off them Bally Playboy machines!

And a bit off otpic, I used to love Playboy in the 70's and 80's. My Favorite playmate was June 1979 Louann Fernald!

LF1.jpgLF1.jpg LF2 (1).jpgLF2 (1).jpg
#4 8 years ago

Awesome job Beatmaster!

Did you build the new cabinet or buy one? I love the Pink Power Ball too!

Enjoy the game!

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from MrBellMan:

Awesome job Beatmaster!
Did you build the new cabinet or buy one? I love the Pink Power Ball too!
Enjoy the game!

made it with someone.
pink pinball looks cool but play like ass.

#6 8 years ago

I too am a fan of Hef and his magazine. It helped me get through puberty and showed me the beauty of the female form. I tossed my stash once I finally learned how to girls clothes off, but I will always appreciate Hef for his contributions to mankind. He is 100% deserving of his own pinball machine.

What's with the old Granny on the back glass? I never noticed that before.

#7 8 years ago

Old Granny was very popular in the magazine back in the day!

ageing-playboy-74-swscan02012.jpgageing-playboy-74-swscan02012.jpg

#8 8 years ago

I'm in.

Playboy was the game that got me really hooked on pinball in college. I still remember the day when the local operator wheeled in a brand new Playboy into the game room. I was in the right place at the right time and was the first customer to play that day and put a ton of money in that game.

If anyone is interested in a CQ Playboy with a clear coated NOS (not repro) playfield, restored cabinet, etc. PM me. I'd sell mine because (a) it would help a space problem and (b) my wife doesn't mind the theme, but doesn't like the game.

I have to take some better shots, but here's a couple.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#9 8 years ago

I have a restored Playboy I got 2 yrs ago. CPR playfield, new plastics,bumper caps etc. Very impressionable game from my youth. Classic Bally. Does seem unloved by some. Good man cave item. Don't care for the other newer versions.

#10 8 years ago

I'm looking for playfield parts for Bally playboy. Particularly, the lane guides and the upper kick-out mech. If anyone has a spare playfield and wants to sell some parts, please contact me by PM.

Thanks,

Al

1 week later
#11 8 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

I'm in.
Playboy was the game that got me really hooked on pinball in college. I still remember the day when the local operator wheeled in a brand new Playboy into the game room. I was in the right place at the right time and was the first customer to play that day and put a ton of money in that game.
If anyone is interested in a CQ Playboy with a clear coated NOS (not repro) playfield, restored cabinet, etc. PM me. I'd sell mine because (a) it would help a space problem and (b) my wife doesn't mind the theme, but doesn't like the game.
I have to take some better shots, but here's a couple.

Nice looking Classic Bally games you have there!

#12 8 years ago

Need advise on an overlay for my Playboy:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-playboy-playfieldinsert-overlay-question

Anyone ever do this?

Thanks!

3 weeks later
#13 8 years ago

Not to late to post some pictures of mine.

The machine started last week-end without fix before !
417132-i.jpg417132-i.jpg

Some details to finalize but i'm happy . It was a dream, and i thought the gameplay isn't so bad

playboy 20150614_163038.jpgplayboy 20150614_163038.jpg
#14 8 years ago

playboy 20150614_163038.jpgplayboy 20150614_163038.jpg
playboy 20150614_173147.jpgplayboy 20150614_173147.jpg

#15 8 years ago

Bally's Playboy pin holds a soft spot in my heart. It was the game I learned Bally Solid State repair on at the week long Bally service school held at the Schiller Park, Illinois Ho Jo in April, 1979. This was right after the Chicago snow storms that cost Mayor Bilandic his job.

3 weeks later
#16 8 years ago

It's one of the best Bally SS pins from the 70s (and the theme is good too!)

A must-have game for any serious mancave.

#17 8 years ago

I bought a set of stencils from Pimp and plan to restore my cabinet. It's in really sad shape, but the playfield and the rest of the game is sweet! It should look awesome when finished!

#18 8 years ago

Playboy is one of only 3 solid state games in my collection of 40 EM pins. My wife loved this game so i bought one for her not ever playing one before and i'm glad i did. What great player this game is....
DSC05102.JPGDSC05102.JPG

#19 8 years ago

I thought I would share my LED placement for my Playboy. I love the use of pink with the bunny inserts and the different colors for the playmates. It looks a lot better in person!

IMG_4293.jpgIMG_4293.jpg

#20 8 years ago

I already own the DE and Stern Playboy machines. I'm casually in the market for the Bally machine. It would be great to have the 3 set up side by side.

1 week later
#22 8 years ago

My Playboy does not like the Alltek lamp driver board. Buzzes w/ it and the special light above the extra ball rollover won't even light at all. Works fine w/ the factory board. Weird............all my other Ballys are ok w/the Allteks............

#23 8 years ago

My Playboy is in good shape but have everything ready to restore except the playfield. I have been looking for months and found someone that has one but don't know how to convince him to sell it. Every other avenue has been a dead end. The game plays great, just need the trim repainted on the head and new playfield. One of my biggest mistakes in life was giving up my Playboy magazine collection of 1980 to 2002 when I had my second daughter. I didn't have time to find a buyer so just game them away. Now it's OUCH.

1 week later
#24 8 years ago

anyone know if CPR has produced a Bally Playboy playfield?

#25 8 years ago

or how to get and IPB playfield?

#26 8 years ago

CPR did a playfield some years ago, but they seem to all be used up. I too have been looking for a while, but have found nothing!

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from kjgolf:

anyone know if CPR has produced a Bally Playboy playfield?

Yep, photo set #69:

http://www.classicplayfields.com/photo69.html

#28 8 years ago

I wish they would run these again... Thanks for the link Vid!

#29 8 years ago

Can we get a list of people who want them and send to CPR to let them know the demand?

#30 8 years ago

You can- but they will not run again until they see real demand for 150 ish ... This has been discussed many times for other games and although I am not sure I have the number right its around there. Also- would be years before they would run even if you ordered 150 today.

Not trying to dissuade you- as I may purchase one too, but reality is CPR is busy with new stuff and re-running old is not a stated priority- too bad but also true. I think they are smart about this- its a big spend to have inventory sitting around and for new projects its far easier to imagine it selling quickly and completely.

Will post link to my playboy restore later! Love this game!!

Thanks for starting a club!

10 months later
#31 7 years ago

I'm a member of this club and I like my Playboy machine. I thought it would be a temporary pin in the line but my wife really likes it too and it's an easy game for friends to play so it's planning to stay. But... that isn't why I'm resurrecting this thread from almost a year ago.

I thought this would be a good place to post some assistance for pop bumper cap replacement.

It seems like the pop bumper caps are nil stock global so when I was restoring my machine I ended up tracing the cap bunny and my wife printed them out on her vinyl cutter. If new hot stamped ones are truly unavailable, I think this is a pretty reasonable replacement option.

They sit on black Sun blank caps ($3 ea from PBR). Pinside has been such a wealth of information for me as I've been restoring my games and I'm very appreciative of all the great people here who help everyone out so if anyone is restoring a Playboy and would like some of these vinyls cut out for them just send me a PM and I'll send you a set. Just pay for postage. I'm in the US at the moment but will be moving to Australia soon. Postage should still only be a few dollars.

IMAG0584_(resized).jpgIMAG0584_(resized).jpg

IMAG0588_(resized).jpgIMAG0588_(resized).jpg

#32 7 years ago

Nice. Are those color changers in the bumpers? I have done that too. Strange how once available parts like bumper caps become out of stock for a long time.

#33 7 years ago

Thanks. Yes those are color changers, I saw someone else do them in a video and like the effect.

I spent a while looking for original caps when I was fixing this up. I had read that there were licensing issues (maybe arguments?) with remanufacturing the hot stamped caps so for now no-one is making them. I get the issues with licensing but it still sucks if you can't get the parts you need.

1 year later
#34 6 years ago

Gentlemen,

I am in the process of restoring on of these and have a question/favor?

I am wondering with regards to the playfield posts as to the size. Are they all the same size (1 3/16") or are there some 1" ones in there? I have 2 playfields and they both have a mix of all kinds of posts and the manual that I have (or the one online at Planetary) do not seem to list the number of posts (which is easy enough to figure out) or if they are all the same. Planetary's web sight just has the generic Bally manual list and it just list both sizes of post in general but nothing specific to the game.

Many thanks in advance.

4 weeks later
#35 6 years ago

Anybody have any playfield scans? My left girl has a lot of wear I need to fix

3 months later
#36 5 years ago

Joined this club today. Got a lot of work to do but hopefully it will shine when done. Anyone know who I can buy a good playfield overlay from? One came with the game, but the art is very low quality.

FJIMG_20180402_223046 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20180402_223046 (resized).jpg

#37 5 years ago

I think only one place out there is making an overlay for this right now. Classic Playfield Reproductions is about to start printing playfields if you can wait a bit and have the cash. I did an overlay and then automotive clear coated it all the labor and money I could have bought a new PF but I was too impatient.

1 week later
#38 5 years ago

Does anyone have any photos of the backbox wiring? I'm pretty sure I'm missing a wiring harness...

9 months later
#39 5 years ago

Just got my first new play field from CPR in the mail today and it's a Playboy! This thing is a beauty!

#40 5 years ago

Who doesn't love Playboy? LOL

IMG_1109 (resized).jpgIMG_1109 (resized).jpgIMG_1110 (resized).jpgIMG_1110 (resized).jpg
#41 5 years ago

Here's my machine the guy had it for ten years and then he said the wife made him leave it under the patio. The Western Australian whether hasn't been kind. Have a CPR backglass and playfield and will be using a super sonic head box and cabinet to complete a new in box restoration.

IMG_2230 (resized).JPGIMG_2230 (resized).JPGIMG_2231 (resized).JPGIMG_2231 (resized).JPGIMG_2232 (resized).JPGIMG_2232 (resized).JPGIMG_2233 (resized).JPGIMG_2233 (resized).JPGIMG_2234 (resized).JPGIMG_2234 (resized).JPGIMG_2235 (resized).JPGIMG_2235 (resized).JPG
#42 5 years ago
Quoted from Adrian:

Here's my machine the guy had it for ten years and then he said the wife made him leave it under the patio. The Western Australian whether hasn't been kind. Have a CPR backglass and playfield and will be using a super sonic head box and cabinet to complete a new in box restoration.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

OUCH that is a rough one.

4 weeks later
#43 5 years ago

I have 2 comments about the key lanes.

The first is that I would like to get the lane guard plastics (i.e., white 1-1/2" post-to-post, double sided with Bally logo); everyone seems to show this as "out of stock".

The second is that I've done a Monte Carlo analysis about how fast (on average) the 4 lanes get completed (I consider hitting the other key, the center target, as a gimme), and I get as the average # of random lane actuations that complete the set as:

0 lanes tied: 8.3

1 pair tied: 6.3

2 pair tied: 2.9

I have this as an Open Office spreadsheet, and of course, it could be used with any other game that has the option of tying lanes together.

#44 5 years ago

Those lane guides w/the Bally logo are hard to find. Tying the lanes together seems to easy for me. A challenge to get them one by one. A damn hard game anyway.

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from pinkid:

Those lane guides w/the Bally logo are hard to find. Tying the lanes together seems to easy for me. A challenge to get them one by one. A damn hard game anyway.

yeah those bally lanes guide are impossible to find, i did my restoration years ago and to this day can't find one.

#46 5 years ago

These sound like a good candidate for 3D printing. Anyone know who could do them?

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from Orbian:

These sound like a good candidate for 3D printing. Anyone know who could do them?

try Terry at pinball life. They may be willing to give that one a shot!

#48 5 years ago

Anyone have a good source for drop targets, preferably ones with the wider tops?

I had one break and replaced them with a repro set from classicarcades but thy have the narrow top and don’t line up well in the target bank.

#49 5 years ago

Has anyone gotten the new mirrored backglass from CPR to compare to the OE version?

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

Has anyone gotten the new mirrored backglass from CPR to compare to the OE version?

I have one, and I still left my original in the machine. I'm really not sure if I want to change it out or not. As it does/used to note on their site, the original was made from a water color painting in some fashion and is extremely hard to reproduce.

I noticed a major difference in the details and shading right away. Luckily my original is not in bad shape at all with only a couple small scratches. There is just so much more obvious detail in the original compared to that reproduction.

The CPR version does look very nice, and would be an excellent replacement for a terrible condition original for sure.

But, if you have an nice original, you may question weather you want to switch it out or not.

I think there is also a large difference in how the glass presents itself with the lights off vs. on. It does look MUCH better in my opinion, when the game is on and it is lit up. It seems to add back some of the depth that is missing otherwise. If I think of it, and I'm out in the workshop this weekend I'll see about getting some comparison photos to load up.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs
Electronics
$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
$ 199.95
There are 495 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-playboy-pinball-club-all-owners-and-playboy-lovers-welcome and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.