Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Pac-Fan
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Problem: Game sound stopped working 2 years ago; owner replaced sound card, didn't fix. Game stopped booting (other than GI turning on) a couple months ago.

BR1 output (switched lamps) on the rectifier board was < 3V. Other TP's metered good. Replaced BR's with larger, replaced all header pins, trifurcon connectors, re-flowed all solder on rectifier board. Everything meters within variances with transformer + rectifier assembly out of cabinet.

On solenoid driver/HV/regulator board, replaced the 150uf/350V HV cap, the 15000uf/35V filter cap, and replaced the LM323K with a EZSBC switch mode replacement (as I have done on over 15 WPC boards with great success).

Fed only J3 into the driver board (all other connectors removed from all boards except the rectifier's 3). Unregulated voltage at TP5 and the new 15Kuf cap is 0.45V (should be 12V). Basically zero voltage out from the regulator at TP1. Exact same symptoms as before rebuilding the rectifier board and part of the solenoid board.

I lifted (and metered) every smaller cap and resistor from the regulator circuit with no net change; so either the filter cap (brand new) or the LM323K replacement --- or something else that is connected via J3 is pulling down the voltage prior to the regulator.

Nothing smells/feels hot anywhere other than the obvious 2 cement resistors on the rectifier board as they should. Any thoughts to find the voltage pull before I pull every pin out of J3 one by one? Thanks!

#2 8 years ago

I'd disconnect pin 1 (or sever trace to pin 1) of Q20 regulator. Then go back and check TP5. If unregulated 12VDC has returned, then the regulator or something downstream is the problem (of course, it is not impossible to have a new replacement regulator be bad) If the unregulated 12VDC is still missing, check to make certain it is getting to J3 pin 12 from A2J3-8. Basically, start from the test point and work downstream or upstream dividing the circuit from where it enters the regulator. You've got to start somewhere.

#3 8 years ago

Thank. I had metered J3 pins 11/12 to pin 10 (or any other grounding pin) with J3 disconnected show +12VDC unregulated, but drop to 0.45V as soon as it's connected to the board. So it's down to cap, regulator (which I already replaced both), or something on J3 itself pulling.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 69.00
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Diego, CA
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Coffs Harbour, NS
2,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Macomb, MI
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-playboy-no-5v-12-falls-to-045v-at-filter-cap-wregulator-in and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.