(Topic ID: 218368)

Bally Playboy: Mystifying Switch Problem

By DANGERTERROR

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dangerterror.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I have a mystifying Switch problem on a Bally Playboy and I’m probably overlooking something simple.

Problem: Bottom pop, right outline, arrow rollover switches all work for a few seconds occasionally on startup, then die. These all share a common wire, brown/yellow, and pin.

Some tests and fixes I’ve tried:

Replaced MPU with Rottendog board

Confirmed continuity to each Switch from brown/yellow connector pin when plugged in.

Replaced all three Switch diodes.

Clipped off capacitors just to see if they were causing the issue.

Check to make sure no parts were touching these switches.

Some questions:

I don’t see another Switch with this wire but this diagram says “credit button” is on the same column. No idea what that is. There are no credit buttons on Ballys. This brn ylw wire doesn’t go to the coin door.

http://www.pinitech.com/switch_database.php?name=Bally_Playboy

Am I reading this wrong? I usually only tech later games with actual, documented Switch matrices with wire coloring info and such. This era of game doesn’t seem to have that...

#2 5 years ago

Based on the manual I now think the credit button is the start button... did the diode on that for good measure. No fix.

I noticed that sometimes the rollover switch sticks closed, scoring infinitely, despite it clearly being open.

#5 5 years ago

All great things to try. Thanks!

3 months later
    #7 5 years ago

So this turned out to be the coin door credit button switch. I added insulating tape to a couple of surfaces in the switch stack and that solved the problems in the switch column around the playfield.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dangerterror.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-playboy-mystifying-switch-problem?tu=dangerterror and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.