Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 74 days ago by BigAl56
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSCN6774 (resized).JPG

#1 76 days ago

I'm swapping a CPR Playboy PF and installing new 1/8" braid and new lamp sockets. I finished the feature lamps and are now on the GI circuit. I
noticed the braid on the old PF goes from the upper lug on the sockets to the lower lug on some sockets. Isn't one lug on each socket power and the other ground? Noticed the old wiring seems to overlap on both sides. Note in the picture, socket in foreground is wired to the upper lug and it directly leads the lower lug of the next socket.

DSCN6774 (resized).JPG
#2 76 days ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

Isn't one lug on each socket power and the other ground? Noticed the old wiring seems to overlap on both sides. Note in the picture, socket in foreground is wired to the upper lug and it directly leads the lower lug of the next socket.

Strictly speaking, for G.I. it doesn't matter because the lamps aren't directional. But for the sake of consistency, I too would orient the sockets the same where possible.

Generally you'd want the outer part of the socket connected to ground and the tip connected to 6V, but that's inconvenient for the feature lamps in these games which are opposite and leave a lot of naked metal at the lamp sockets sitting at 5.4 volts.

#3 76 days ago
Quoted from Quench:

Generally you'd want the outer part of the socket connected to ground and the tip connected to 6V

Out of the wiring loom at the top for the GI there is a green and red wire leading to power side of the 1st socket and an orange and white wire leading to ground of it's 1st socket. Seems really inconsistent since they flip a few sockets down the chain.

#4 76 days ago

You can see in that picture above the lug connected to the outer frame of the socket is the one stapled to the playfield. If you're "correcting" the socket orientation, you want to make sure that lug is the stapled one so the socket has better stability when installing/removing lamps and can't cause any accidental shorts from too much down force.

#5 76 days ago
Quoted from Quench:

you want to make sure that lug is the stapled one so the socket has better stability

Absolutely will be stapling both sides of sockets when possible.

#6 74 days ago

Bally GI is AC direct from the transformer. There is no polarity and you can run the braid wires however is convenient.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 19.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
$ 50.00
$ 9.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside