Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by GRUMPY
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

16085965574876555868342683393894 (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-12-01 at 7.27.50 AM (resized).png
    20201201_082724 (resized).jpg
    20201201_082641 (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 11.38.13 PM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 11.09.49 PM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 10.51.47 PM (resized).png
    16067773940094644367008536952087 (resized).jpg
    16067773599094018463573578102164 (resized).jpg
    20201128_200821 (resized).jpg
    20201128_015809 (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

Hello everyone, I recently picked up a 78 bally playboy unit. Looks great and everything works so far, except the flippers. Both sides will not fire. I am fairly new to solid state this is my first, however I own a few EM pins, I have a meter, good with electrical, run an automotive shop (may have helped you b4 on a ford or chevy forum)
    Any help, very appreciated.

History of the unit is unknown, I believe its been down for a long time. Upon first inspection, the MPU board was shot, battery leaked. I replaced with a new alltek Ultimate mpu. And repinned J4 at mpu
    The fuse board i also replaced (new).
    The displays were inop originally, had to re solder every board for each display , all 5 work flawlessly now.
    The solenoid drived board had a few bad points that were fixed, around the relay and j1,j2,j3,j4 all repaired and ohmed out across the solenoid board.
    Sound board also had some bad solders that were repaired.
    After all these repairs and a few days down all looks promising..

So no flippers. The relay on the solenoid driver board clicks on when a game is started.
    I have 45 volts at the flipper coils
    When I ground the coils they fire ok.
    When I ground Q 15 nothing happens.

20201128_015809 (resized).jpg20201128_015809 (resized).jpg20201128_200821 (resized).jpg20201128_200821 (resized).jpg
    #2 3 years ago

When you grounded Q15, nothing happened because it was already turned on.

Check SDB J2 pins 1 & 2. They go to the flipper button. Also check SDB J1 pins 8 & 9 to the return side of the coils.

#3 3 years ago

Billc479
    They look good. I checked the SDB j2 1&2 to the relay ohmed good, also the j2 1&2 ohmed good to the relay through the board.
    Buttons look good too

16067773599094018463573578102164 (resized).jpg16067773599094018463573578102164 (resized).jpg16067773940094644367008536952087 (resized).jpg16067773940094644367008536952087 (resized).jpg
    #4 3 years ago

Any temporary bypass i can run to get it running, its for personal use. I've seen threads on some saying the flippers circuit just runs through the sdb, game over control, ect.

Seems like I'm loosing ground?

#5 3 years ago

I'd suspect your EOS switches. Misadjusted, or in need of cleaning the contacts. File and adjust them. Ohm them out to verify they are not high resistance across the closed contacts. You would assume the solenoids are wired correctly, but they could be wired wrong too. I've seen that.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from Malatino93:

Any temporary bypass i can run to get it running,

If you solder put a blob across the #3 to #5 and the #4 to #6 on the relay pins, the flippers should work any time you turn on the power switch as long as there is no other problems. If this corrects your problem then you need a new relay.

#7 3 years ago

Does Bally have the one amp slo-blo fuse on the lower side of the play field like the classic Sterns? If so, and if that fuse is blown you are dead in the water.

#8 3 years ago

The fuse is good, replaced. 45 v both sides and at coils.

#9 3 years ago

GRUMPY
    No go on the relay bypass, blobbed across the relay and no flippers

#10 3 years ago

Here is your flipper and outhouse circuit. Does the outhole kicker at A3J1-5 work?

Could the flipper relay in the A3 SDB have gone bad?

Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 10.51.47 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-11-30 at 10.51.47 PM (resized).png

#11 3 years ago

cottonm4
    The first ball loads on game start

#12 3 years ago

cottonm4
    the kicker at the top left of the play field?
    That works , however it does stick on, I have not looked into that further, assuming it was an armature binding

JethroP
    The EOS switches ohmed good, the flipper switches also..

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from Malatino93:

No go on the relay bypass

Then J-1 or J-2 needs to be repined. Most likely both.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from Malatino93:

cottonm4
    the kicker at the top left of the play field?
    That works , however it does stick on, I have not looked into that further, assuming it was an armature binding

I assumed the outhole kicker was for your ball launcher. So, your outhole kicker works.

The bottom part of the drawing shows a solenoid coil that has not been identified. This might be your Grotto kicker. You would have to check your Grotto coil wires and try to match them to the call out for the unidentified coil.

Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 11.09.49 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-11-30 at 11.09.49 PM (resized).png

You say you have voltage to both coils.

Ballys and Sterns have many similarities. but I know Sterns. The coil trigger wires on Stern flippers have an orange wire traveling from the relay to the right hand coil and a green wire that travels form the relay to the left hand coil. I don't know what colors Bally used but the pattern should be the same.

Take your DMM and check continuity from the relay to each flipper. If you have continuity to the flippers from the relay and you have voltage to the flippers then can see little that would be causing your problems except for that relay. And I do not know how to test a relay.

Also, one more thing. On my Sterns, the flipper button switches themselves have a common orange wire. I'm not sure where that wire goes without researching it. I assume Playboy would have a common wire to both flipper buttons, but I would check what board that common wire goes to and check continuity there also.

As usual, a lot of what I come up with is a wild ass guess. But a lot of times I am correct.

My money is on a bad relay on the SDB. The pin has been sitting awhile? Correct? Maybe it was put into storage for a reason no one could figure out.

EDIT: I just saw your post to Grumpy.

#15 3 years ago

There are two sets of winding in the coil. Are you sure the EOS is wired across the higher resistance winding?

Open the EOS switch and measure the resistance across each set of windings in the coil. Make sure the EOS switch was wired across the higher resistance winding. If it is across the low resistance winding, the flipper won't flip.

#16 3 years ago

How about a pic of the cabinet switches. There should be an orange wire going from the switches to the rectifier board J-2 pin 9. This should be ground. Maybe this got disconnected.

#17 3 years ago

Correction: Your Grotto kickback is here. And I now have no idea what the unlabeled coil represents.

Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 11.38.13 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-11-30 at 11.38.13 PM (resized).png

Here are the schematics to Playboy. They are rather fuzzy and hard to read but you can expand their size which might help.

https://www.ipdb.org/files/1823/Bally_1978_Playboy_Schematics.pdf

#18 3 years ago

JethroP how could I check that?

cottonm4
    The orange and green wires ohmed good to j1 8&9
    I have to check the flipper buttons to j2, will do tomorrow.

The see through relay on the SDB is now "blobbed-jumpered"

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from Malatino93:

@jethrop how could I check that?

Are you asking how to check the resistance across the windings? If that's the question, then...
    there're three lugs on the coil -- A, B and C. Measure all three combinations: A-B, B-C, and A-C. One of these reading will be low resistance. One will be higher. And a third reading will be the sum of the other two. For example, A-B is 3.3 ohms, B-C is 17.2 ohms, and therefore A-C is 20.5 ohms. The EOS switch needs to be wired across the two lugs of the middle resistance reading. In the example, lugs B-C.

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

Are you asking how to check the resistance across the windings? If that's the question, then...
    there're three lugs on the coil -- A, B and C. Measure all three combinations: A-B, B-C, and A-C. One of these reading will be low resistance. One will be higher. And a third reading will be the sum of the other two. For example, A-B is 3.3 ohms, B-C is 17.2 ohms, and therefore A-C is 20.5 ohms. The EOS switch needs to be wired across the two lugs of the middle resistance reading. In the example, lugs B-C.

All of the other items that have been brought up have been no help as of yet. Coils wired incorrectly could be a real possibility ( remote but real ). It is possible someone worked on this pin years ago, made a mistake and could not correct it. So the pin winds up being buried under trash and forgotten about. And now it's comes back to life---with no history of why it was just sitting.

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

There are two sets of winding in the coil. Are you sure the EOS is wired across the higher resistance winding?
    Open the EOS switch and measure the resistance across each set of windings in the coil. Make sure the EOS switch was wired across the higher resistance winding. If it is across the low resistance winding, the flipper won't flip.

@jethrop, cottonm4

Measuring the flipper coils, EOS open,
    (Assumimg A, in both coils is the green or orange wire, see pictures)
    Left flipper..
    ab= 3 ohm
    bc=295 ohm
    ac=298 ohm

Right flipper..
    Ab=3 ohm
    bc=296 ohm
    ac= 299 ohm

Eos is wired between B & C in both flippers.

GRUMPY , the orange wire to rectifier ohmed out good, switches ohmed out good to sdb j2.
    The orange, green wires for coils ohmed good to sdb j1
    20201201_082641 (resized).jpg20201201_082641 (resized).jpg20201201_082724 (resized).jpg20201201_082724 (resized).jpg

#22 3 years ago

Looks like the EOS switches are wired correctly. How about the SDB? Hard to tell by the picture, but the soldering on the pins looks suspect. Take a closer look at the soldering, and maybe ohm out the pins/traces for bridging or breaks.

Screen Shot 2020-12-01 at 7.27.50 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-12-01 at 7.27.50 AM (resized).png
    #23 3 years ago

This is a real simple circuit to troubleshoot. the brown wire side of the flipper coil should have 43v DC. The other side gets a ground to fire the flipper. To test, hook up a test wire with one end grounded to the frame and momentarily touch it to the other side of the coil. the coil should fire. If it does good coil.
    Once you determine the coil will fire if a ground is delivered then work your way backward in the circuit with the ground test lead and see where shorting to ground does not fire the coil.
    The circuit is as follows, ground leaves the rectifier board on the cabinet connector and travels to each flipper button. From the flipper buttons it travels to J2-1&2 on the SD board and passes through the enabled flipper relay. It then leaves the SD board on J1-8&9 and arrives at each flipper coil.
    A ground at any point in this circuit will fire the relay if the 43v is present.
    Looking at the photo above. there appears to be a cold solder connection on the backside of J1.

Good luck, -Al-

#24 3 years ago

Malatino93 Update your location. You may find someone close to you willing to help (maybe not due to COVID).

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from Malatino93:

grumpy , the orange wire to rectifier ohmed out good, switches ohmed out good to sdb j2.

There can only be two things to stop both flippers from working at the same time, the relay which you bypassed with the solder blob. Second is the orange wire going to the rectifier board. On these early Bally games the rectifier boards are usually burnt up real bad. I would take a jumper wire from a known good ground source and connect the other end to the orange wire on one of the cabinet switches, turn on the game and see if the flippers work now ( relay solder blob is still intact).

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from GRUMPY:

There can only be two things to stop both flippers from working at the same time, the relay which you bypassed with the solder blob. Second is the orange wire going to the rectifier board. On these early Bally games the rectifier boards are usually burnt up real bad. I would take a jumper wire from a known good ground source and connect the other end to the orange wire on one of the cabinet switches, turn on the game and see if the flippers work now ( relay solder blob is still intact).

I agree with what you say. But what about that crappy solder job that Jethro highlighted in post #22? That is some ugly solder work.

#27 3 years ago

cottonm4
    Will check the (ugly/crappy) solders at j5, and across the sdb again today.

GRUMPY
    I ohmed the orange wire to rectifier board, it tested ok, I will attempt to ground it, also the rectifier is new.

BigAl56 thank you for the info, will update later today.

Where does the rectifier get ground?

#28 3 years ago

GRUMPY good call the flippers fire when the cab switches are grounded, orange wire

#29 3 years ago
    Quoted from Malatino93:

grumpy good call the flippers fire when the cab switches are grounded, orange wire

Leave the ground jumper on the orange wire and remove the solder blobs from the relay. Retest the flippers, but now you will have to start a game to make them work. This will tell me whether there is more then one issue or not.

2 weeks later
    #30 3 years ago

How should I go about removing the solder blob/jumper from the relay on the sdb? I only know how to lay it down.

Sorry for the long delay on this. When I originally got the flippers working I thought I should clean up the field with wild cat. Mill wax and a new ball... the paint started chipping from the wood on the playfield very quickly. So a while long project later, I now have a clear coat , and a playfield-protector.com mat on top, about 80 or more new #44s and some new sockets. Plays good. Unfortunately kind of faster than it should and no ball to wood sound, but all seems well. Maybe a new glass in the future and cab touchups, I really like this game, and hoping to find a data east 35th eventually. But back to my original ground issue and repinning all of the .100 connectors.

16085965574876555868342683393894 (resized).jpg16085965574876555868342683393894 (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-playboy-flippers-wont-work?hl=skidave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.