(Topic ID: 248979)

Bally Playboy - controlled lights flicker when coils activate - help?

By FrankJ

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by FrankJ
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Background: Alltech board. Light board, solenoid/driver board, displays, all work and tested working properly in another game. Resistors attached to sockets. Game has Comet 2smd leds.

When you hit the flippers or a coil is activated on the game, about 50% of the time the controlled lights flicker on and off briefly. Would this be a problem on the rectifier board? Any ideas?

Thanks!

#2 4 years ago

How much voltage do you measure at the common braid wire stapled to the bottom of the playfield that runs to all the controlled lamps?

#3 4 years ago

In general, flickering lamps can be traced back to a couple of causes:
Low line voltage
miss adjusted EOS on the flippers.

Do the backbox lamps flicker too? If it's only the switched lamps and not the GI, that could be a loose connection on a cable pin or bus wire.

#4 4 years ago

Backbox and playfield - all controlled lights will pulse on/off quickly once at the same time. So it’s one, quick flicker. Also note: lights that should be lit stay lit like normal. It’s the unlit bulbs that pulse on/off once. It’s not just the flippers that cause it, it’s any coil - and somewhat random. For example: during action between the pop bumpers it usually happens when the first bumper is hit, but not again until there is a short break in the action and then another coil is activated.

Flippers were just rebuilt, so end of strokes are new and gapped properly.

I’ll check voltage when I get home.

Thanks!

#5 4 years ago

Did it do it before you put the LED's in?

#6 4 years ago

Yes. I started the prep work for an overlay and repaired the boards and rebuilt/bulletproofed the power supply - using another game to test the boards. I figured the problem would disappear once the boards were all working 100%. That's why I questioned the Rectifier Board. I have a rebuild kit arriving Monday, as that was the only board not serviced and brought up to current on standards.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

2,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Macomb, MI
$ 22.50
Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
$ 69.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Diego, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Coffs Harbour, NS
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-playboy-controlled-lights-flicker-when-coils-activate-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.