Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by XPinPinball
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I installed Xpin displays in to a Playboy. If you look at video below, you can hear a buzzing that is in sync with the blinking displays.

Ive replaced C23, C24, C26 and voltage regulator on solenoid board and C17 on sound board.

If I disconnect all the displays the buzzing sound goes away, hookup even one of the Xpin display and the buzzing sound comes back.If i go back to the original plasma displays - i get no buzzing sound at all.

#2 6 years ago

Alot of the early solid state games do this even with the original displays. Make sure ground strap is connected to the head ground braid, Make sure the lamp driver board has the 2 screw secure to ground the board to the mounting brackets. Actually all the boards should be grounded to the head. If that doesn't work, try removing cab ground from speaker. On some games I could never completely eliminate it.

#3 6 years ago

Sometimes isolating the sound board from the head plane ground quiets things down...

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Alot of the early solid state games do this even with the original displays. Make sure ground strap is connected to the head ground braid, Make sure the lamp driver board has the 2 screw secure to ground the board to the mounting brackets. Actually all the boards should be grounded to the head. If that doesn't work, try removing cab ground from speaker. On some games I could never completely eliminate it.

If I put all the original displays back this game is dead quiet - I've never heard an early Bally be this buzzy.

I played around with the ground strap making sure it was making a good connection to the ground plane - no difference.

#5 6 years ago

Anyone else? - I am totally stumped on this issue - Bought X-Pin displays because the originals were all crapped out

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from iwantansi:

Anyone else? - I am totally stumped on this issue - Bought X-Pin displays because the originals were all crapped out

Try contacting xpin tech support. I think they are the old Pinscore makers and they had great tech support.

#7 6 years ago

I know this does not sound like a good fix, but I also had a Playboy with a bad buzz. Try dismounting the sound board from the back box mount and see if the buzz stops. It did on mine. I then insulated the board from the back box mounts.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

I know this does not sound like a good fix, but I also had a Playboy with a bad buzz. Try dismounting the sound board from the back box mount and see if the buzz stops. It did on mine. I then insulated the board from the back box mounts.

Tried it - no change

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Try contacting xpin tech support. I think they are the old Pinscore makers and they had great tech support.

I've spoken with him and hes never seen/heard of this issue

#10 6 years ago

Another thing to check: make sure your display data cables, your power cables and your audio or speaker cables are routed away from each other. Your audio system might be picking up parasitic noise from cables.

#11 6 years ago

The ground for the displays comes from and through pin 6 of J1 of the sound board. The circuit ground originates from J3-20 on the solenoid driver board. Both the sound board and displays share the same ground circuit. A weak connection at the solenoid driver board could be the problem.

Try running a jumper from a ground test point on one of the xpin displays directly to the solenoid driver board ground test point and see if that eliminates the buzz.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from minnesota13:

The ground for the displays comes from and through pin 6 of J1 of the sound board. The circuit ground originates from J3-20 on the solenoid driver board. Both the sound board and displays share the same ground circuit. A weak connection at the solenoid driver board could be the problem.
Try running a jumper from a ground test point on one of the xpin displays directly to the solenoid driver board ground test point and see if that eliminates the buzz.

This is what i was hinting at on your Facebook post. Remember these displays suck up a bunch of 5v line current. This is creating noise that is some how leaking backing onto your sound board amp circuit. Isolating the sound board off of the backbox mount plate is kind of cheating a poor ground situation. It works some times.

Back of the driver board. Tie c26 negative lead and C23 negative lead to master ground. See pinwiki, it is documented there.

Make sure the cabinet and head ground braid is connector at the bottom middle of the head.

Make sure your rectifier board ground return pins are solid

make sure the driver board ground return pins are solid.

The sound board has two grounds. Logic level ground and a seperate ground return for the amplifiers. You get hum when these grounds are at different potentials. Can try to tie them together briefly via sound board test points and see if hum goes away.

Pull the rectifier board 230v fuse. It serves no purpose with led displays.

#13 6 years ago

Just amazed that neither Labnip, O-din, or myself have not posted a Smart Assed answer to this, and it was posted yesterday. Such amazing restraint.

4 years later
#15 1 year ago

Resurrecting this old post.

Installed pinscore displays in a Xenon and now have hum/buzz when displays flash in attract mode - really loud.

When I rebuilt the solenoid driver board I ground negatives of c23 and c26 to master ground.

I have traced the ground braid from the cabinet to backbox and have a good connection between the two at the middle of the head.

Pulled the connectors on solenoid board and sound board to double check that ground pins are solid.

Pulled the 230 volt fuse on rectifier.

Other thoughts?

9 months later
#16 11 months ago

stratdoc, did you ever solve your issue? I have same problem with a bally playboy and xpin led display causing really loud buzzing

#17 11 months ago

Thought I would weigh in here as well.

Quoted from barakandl:

Back of the driver board. Tie c26 negative lead and C23 negative lead to master ground. See pinwiki, it is documented there.

Make sure the cabinet and head ground braid is connector at the bottom middle of the head.

Make sure your rectifier board ground return pins are solid

make sure the driver board ground return pins are solid.

The sound board has two grounds. Logic level ground and a seperate ground return for the amplifiers. You get hum when these grounds are at different potentials. Can try to tie them together briefly via sound board test points and see if hum goes away.

I finally did come across this personally and did all indicated above and it solved my issue, but during the investigation I noticed that the 5V system on the SDB was suffering. It was an original SDB, and older in that it still had a 2.5A regulator bolted to the heatsink and the bulk cap was also original. I did replace both of those and it still gave a low hum which with an oscope could be seen on the 12V side, typical 120 Hz sawtooth, but it also was on the 5V side which you wouldn't expect so much with the linear regulator. The xpin displays worked well though and no issues with them.

I did add a 100uf 25V cap that I had in my kit across C25 as an additional precaution. Hum went away. Later I did repin all of the ground connections mentioned above, both connector side and replaced headers or at least re-flowed the joint.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside