Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Shriner37
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

I am trying to restore a Bally Playboy that has been in storage since the early 1990's. The MPU was severely corroded so I replaced it with an Alltek Ultimate MPU. While I was at it I also replaced the SDB and lamp driver boards with Alltek units and the rectifier board with a Rottendog. I initially had an over voltage error on the MPU and finally determined (with the help of this forum!) that the J4 connector was corroded. I re-pinned the bottom five pins on J4 and the unit booted up. At that time I had sound, lights, knocker and flippers. I realized that the playfield fuse was blown. I only had a higher value fuse so I did try it briefly and determined that many of the coils worked but some did not.

I've received the proper fuse and to try to resolve the coil problems I saw earlier I decided to go ahead and re-pin the remaining connections on J4 as well as SDB P2. Unfortunately I think I've created an issue. The MPU goes through self test properly (LED flashes, etc.). The SDB shows all the correct LEDs and the cyclone is running. However I have no solenoid action except for flippers. It almost acts as if the playfield fuse is blown but it is good, and I have 38vdc to the coils. I also no longer have sound, but I do have a hum coming from the speaker.

The MPU appears to be working properly. Self test works properly except for sound and solenoids. Coin registration works. I can trigger switches on the playfield and points register. It also counts balls and ends normally. I just have no sound, no coils or knocker.

I did re-check the crimp connections on SDB P2 and it the connections appear fine. Before going through all of the connections on MPU J4 I thought it would be worthwhile to see if anyone can help direct me to the most likely issue.

#2 3 years ago

Unplug the sound board and see if that changes things.

#3 3 years ago

Try this:
With the machine on take a test lead and attach 1 end to ground. Tap the other end to the tabs on the transistors on the SDB. Do the coils fire? If so the circuit is intact for that coil.

In the manual there is a master wiring diagram. It shows every wire in every connector. Check out the connectors on the SDB and make sure you have the wires in the correct place. Specifically check the small .100 connector as it has the coil logic signals

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

Try this:
In the manual there is a master wiring diagram. It shows every wire in every connector. Check out the connectors on the SDB and make sure you have the wires in the correct place. Specifically check the small .100 connector as it has the coil logic signals

This was exactly the issue. I had placed one of the pins in the wrong slot on the Molex connector of J4 on the MPU and that was the issue. Once I traced the wires by color code, found the problem and moved it to the correct slot it worked perfectly. Thanks for your suggestion!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Macomb, MI
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Coffs Harbour, NS
Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Diego, CA
$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-playboy-1978-troubleshooting-help-needed?hl=bigal56 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.