• Latest reply 4 years ago by barakandl
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2518-32 TP5.jpg
#1 4 years ago

Would the transformer cause this? Making my soundboard make crackling noises.

#2 4 years ago

No, the sound board doesn't get its 12 volts from the transformer. The sound board takes 43 volts from the solenoid bus and turns it into 12 volts through components that are on the sound board.

#3 4 years ago

And 13.8 volts is probably ok here

2 weeks later
#4 4 years ago

hmm, weird it sounds ok for about 10min then starts crackeling. this a new sound board. any ideas?

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from DTAC:

hmm, weird it sounds ok for about 10min then starts crackeling. this a new sound board. any ideas?

A common issue for noise is that the sound board is sensitive to ground problems. The 43v ground return is isolated back to the driver board J3 P23. The rest of the board ground return goes to driver board J3 P20 and also to the screw down mounting point to ground against the backbox plane. If any of those connectors get resistance it can make the sound board noisy.

A lot of times an easy work around is to back off the sound board from the mounting bracket so it does not ground against the backbox plane. Try that and see if the problem goes away. If it does there is probably a connector issue somewhere. Make sure the backbox ground braid is connected. Driver J3 connector is in good shape and the driver board ground screw down is in. Sound board connector is in good shape. Rectifier board 20p head connector is in good shape.

#6 4 years ago

The 12V on this board is just a close approximation based on a 13V zener diode. 13.8 would be fine.
What does the +5V look like? Good connection back to his source?
For a new board - if 5V is good, I think I would ask the manufacturer on this one, a new board shouldn't be doing this.

Original board had the typical isolated ground for the filter capacitor ground. Nobody knows what possessed Bally to do this, hopefully the replacement board didn't do this. Make sure pin 15 ground pin is a good connection. Almost tempted to say that TP2 and TP3 should be tied together BUT I haven't taken the time to look at the actual connections to make sure there won't be an issue with this ...so don't do this now.

#7 4 years ago

Oh! TP3 shows up on schematics in two places. What's up with that?!?!
It shows TP3 tied to ground of C17 and it shows TP3 tied to 12V. Obviously one of them is wrong....

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

TP3 shows up on schematics in two places.

fixed
2518-32 TP5.jpg2518-32 TP5.jpg

#9 4 years ago

Bally had a thing for isolating the grounds which seems to cause more problems than it fixes. Some of the grounds are isolated on the driver board back the transformer rectifier board and then they isolate other grounds back to the driver board. I have seen noisy sound boards sound fine after you connect TP2 and TP5 together with a gator clip or pull the board up off of the backbox mounting plane and insulate the mounting points. It usually ends up being bad connector at driver j3, the sound board, or the rectifier board. Most of the time people just back the sound board off of the mounting brackets, then it sounds better and leave it that way.

Quoted from G-P-E:

Original board had the typical isolated ground for the filter capacitor ground. Nobody knows what possessed Bally to do this, hopefully the replacement board didn't do this. Make sure pin 15 ground pin is a good connection. Almost tempted to say that TP2 and TP3 should be tied together BUT I haven't taken the time to look at the actual connections to make sure there won't be an issue with this ...so don't do this now.

The replacement still has the isolated grounds. I knew it was more likely to not be noisy from bad connectors with the grounds connected from testing, but I thought Bally may have had a good reason to isolate them that I did not understand. It worked for 40 years with grounds isolated so left it that way. That board is pretty much finalized, but maybe I will update it so the 43v ground is not isolated.

I did common up all the grounds on the driver board replacement.

1 month later
#10 4 years ago

Still working on this. All voltages are good connection for ground are good . Board is off the back. Not sure what could be causing this.

#11 4 years ago

If you want me to check the sound board you can send it back and I will test it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Diego, CA
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

2,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Macomb, MI
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Coffs Harbour, NS
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 22.50
Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
$ 10.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-playboy-12v-is-138v and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.