• Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN0382 (resized).JPG
DSCN0381 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

Finished a PF swap in a Xenon and now the F4 (solenoid) fuse blows during a game. It's running an Alltek MPU and SDB. During a solenoid test the Alltek SDB shows a short in the #14 solenoid, #3 drop target. It has a solenoid on each of the 4 targets plus a reset solenoid. During the test all 4 targets are dropped in order. I've ohm tested each of the 4 and the are within .001 of each other. The game was fully working, including the drop targets when I pulled the assembly and installed it in the new PF. The J2 connectors were re-pinned as well on the SDB. This game has 4 rollover buttons in the arch area that will drop each target in order. Initially only #1 & 2 were lit and functional. I did find a broken diode leg on the #3 switch caused by screwing the wiring loom hold downs in place. I re-soldered it. Now all the buttons will drop their target. The fuse blows during normal game play, nothing ever involving the drop targets. I've manually dropped and re-set the targets a dozen times without the fuse blowing. I have yet to even finish a game without the fuse blowing. Anyone have an idea?

#2 6 years ago

It could be a bad coil diode. First make sure all the diodes are oriented properly. The yellow bus wire should be soldered to the band end of the diode.
There can also be a short on the 43 volt feed wire. Since the playfield fuse is not blowing carefully trace the brown wire coming off the fuse holder. It may be rubbing against metal or a lamp wire causing an intermittent short. Check the yellow wire too for shorting. Since the playfield fuse is a slow blow maybe it too is momentarily shorting and causing F4 to go.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from BigAl56:

It could be a bad coil diode. First make sure all the diodes are oriented properly. The yellow bus wire should be soldered to the band end of the diode.
There can also be a short on the 43 volt feed wire. Since the playfield fuse is not blowing carefully trace the brown wire coming off the fuse holder. It may be rubbing against metal or a lamp wire causing an intermittent short. Check the yellow wire too for shorting. Since the playfield fuse is a slow blow maybe it too is momentarily shorting and causing F4 to go.

Checked all that, didn't see an issue. Decided to isolate problem by activating solenoids manually. Problem is the left flipper. After activating & holding 20-25 times fuse blew. That flipper is not part of the yellow wire bus. I moved the switch and coil from the old playfield and only had to solder the coil lugs. I used the wiring from a donor PF and used my original as a solder guide.

DSCN0381 (resized).JPGDSCN0381 (resized).JPG

DSCN0382 (resized).JPGDSCN0382 (resized).JPG

#4 6 years ago

So the brown and yellow are both the 43v coil bus except yellow is fused by the playfield fuse as you can see in your picture. Brown is not fused because it provides the 43v for the flippers and that would blow the playfield fuse if it were.
Because flippers draw so much power there is an end of stoke, EOS switch that shorts out a holding coil until the flipper is 75% flipped. If flipping the flippers blows the main fuse it sounds like an EOS switch is out of proper adjustment. Examine the switch carefully. The EOS should open at about 75% of the flipper stroke. Also if this is a double flipper game there should be two switches in a break/make arrangement on the lower flipper, meaning the lower flipper flips first then activates the upper flipper only after the lower EOS switch opens.

#5 6 years ago

Your EOS switch's look burnt these will cause excessive power draws, due to the added resistance on the contacts.
Also how are the contacts on your flipper button switches? also a power draw.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from wdennie:

Your EOS switch's look burnt these will cause excessive power draws, due to the added resistance on the contacts.
Also how are the contacts on your flipper button switches? also a power draw.

Good eye, that was the problem. I replaced it Saturday and so far so good.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 82.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball

$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Cape Coral, FL
$ 10.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-pin-blows-f4-fuse-during-gameplay?hl=bigal56 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.