(Topic ID: 60021)

Bally Party Animal tech help!

By HeyYouSir

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider HeyYouSir.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

I recently acquired a 1987 Bally Party Animal pinball machine and have been going over and assessing it's condition. Any debugging help that you can provide is greatly appreciated. At this point I can play a game, but I don't have any display messages/score or sound.

1. When I first powered it up, the GI came on and stayed on, the green LED on the control board blinked about four times and that was that. I noticed a jury rigged fuse (3 amp?) coming off the transformer (red wire) that had some electrical tape wrapped around it. That tape was holding a spring loaded fuse in line. The plastic fuse connector is broken that I assume was holding that fuse in place at one time more securely. I have found that if I tinker with that fuse the attract mode lighting works. On my todo list is to get a better holder for that fuse -- I assume the game needs it there. Kinda odd.

2. The display had been working, but lately nothing.. nada.. zip. I tried to reseat the display connectors (on the displays and the controller board), but no luck. As I mentioned the displays were working great and then they stopped working. Any ideas of what to check here?

3. This game hasn't had sound since I got it. Reading online help and the operating manual I tried to adjust the sound potentiometer (inside the coin door) along with checking the connectors
J1 and J2 as the manual suggests. The display was working at this time so I tried the self test. I also noticed that the green LED on the sound board never comes on... I am thinking that the sound board needs to be gone over and repaired. What are your thoughts?

That is my Party Animal adventure so far. Any input or suggestions on how to get this pin working are greatly appreciated. This is definitely a project pin.

Thanks!

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from Spybryon:

Check for correct voltages on your display board and high voltage power supply board test points.

Thanks. I will check those out.

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from Spybryon:

Check for correct voltages on your display board and high voltage power supply board test points.

Looks like the lower AC voltages are good on the power board.
The higher DC voltages (230v & 190v) are not. The 3/4 amp 250 v
(FU2) fast blowing fuse is blown. Replacing it causes that fuse to blow again
right away on system power up.

Any ideas on how to get that fuse to live a longer life?

I will check to see if this fuse should be fast or slow blowing.
Looks like these are supposed to be a fast blowing fuse.

Post edited by HeyYouSir : Added clarification of whether this should be a fast or slow blow fuse.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from Spybryon:

It's probably a slo-blow but definitely look it up. Next step is pulling that high voltage board out of the game and looking for obvious shorted components and trying to figure out why the fuse keeps blowing. I have read guides which go into great detail how to rebuild the high power section of System 11 power supply and there must be similar guide for this Bally generation.
In the worst case, it could be that you just shotgun the problem and replace everything component wise on the board involved in the 230v and 190v.

Searching by part number it appears to be a fast blowing fuse.
I will definitely take a closer look at that board to see why it is blowing that fuse. Thanks!

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from kcpinchip:

On the sound issue, there is a second potentiometer on the sound board itself. It is usually very sensitive & needs adjusting in addition to sound @ the coin door.

The little red SW1 device on the sound board?
Does that need to be turned as well to adjust the sound? Will give that a try. Thanks!

#9 10 years ago

Duplicate post.

#11 10 years ago

J1 and J5 on the power board were a bit fried. Solder bad on the back.
Melted the connectors. The high voltage area of the board looked OK.

I am going to see if I can get a pro to take a look at this board and repair it.
Any recommendations for someone in the Twin Cities?

I don't have a lot into this pin so I am hoping it can be repaired inexpensively.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from kcpinchip:

No, it's VR1 in the upper right side of the board. Mine is a black plastic dial. Like I said it's really sensitive. I just applied a little pressure in the center while adjusting it.

Thanks for the clarification.. I will take a peek.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider HeyYouSir.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-party-animal-tech-help?tu=HeyYouSir and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.