Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by frisbez
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frisbez.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

Hi all, running into an issue with my Paragon with Barakandl's aftermarket boards. I just bought both a new MPU and Solenoid Driver board and all was well when I first installed them. Game booted fine and played. It worked over multiple power cycles and games. The game also has an aftermarket rectifier board.

Then I tried to use the coin door test button and the game seemed to crash. Power cycling now and it won't boot. The diagnostic LED goes through 7 flashes. Then seems to stop and keep going through the boot sequence again.

5V on the MPU is right at 5. The Solenoid Driver board has all 3 voltage LEDS lit and there are no blown fuses on the rectifier board. I have reseated all connectors, but I have not yet replaced the smaller .100 connectors (all the .156 connectors have been repinned) Anyone have any ideas on where to start troubleshooting?

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Power off, unplug all connectors on CPU board except J-4 and see it it boots properly. If yes, plug connectors back in one at a time (with power off) to see what's causing the problem.

Quoted from rotordave:

Try unplugging the sound board first ... see what happens.
rd

Tried both of these and still not booting. I'll go the repinning connectors route and see if that makes a difference.

1 week later
#8 2 years ago

Circling back to this since I finally got some contacts in from GPE.

I replaced the 5v and 12v contacts on the SDB connectors. I also replaced the 5v contacts on the MPU. I'm getting a rock solid 5.0v on both.

Voltages on the rectifier board read good. Voltages on the MPU read good.

The MPU goes through the flashes, I see it pop into what looks like attract mode for second, then it either crashes or resets.

The game was playing for a day after putting in the Barakandl SDB until i tried to go into the test menu.

Anyone have any ideas?

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

You still haven't repinned the .100 connectors to the MPU?

I have repinned J4 on the SDB and J3 on the MPU, which I thought would be enough to get the game to boot if they were the issue. I'm going to keep repinning the rest of the connectors, but I don't think any of them would keep the boards from booting?

#11 2 years ago

Ok, swapped the MPU out and the game booted right up with a different MPU. Something must be either bad or set wrong on the Barakandl MPU.

#12 2 years ago

Culprit ended up being a bad PIA. Tested with a Neoloch and replaced and the game fired right up.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Munster, IN
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

3,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mountainside, NJ
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frisbez.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-paragon-won-t-boot-with-barakandl-boards?tu=frisbez and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.